Am I the only one?

Am I the only one that likes the classic Mario design attributes more the the modern one? I like the "classic fat, red overrals Mario" more than the actual Mario we have now.
In case you're wondering, red overrals-Mario only appeared once in the arcade Donkey Kong (even if it was technically Jumpman and not Mario but whatever...):
latest

I like the red overrals and blue shirt more than the current design where the colors have been switched, I also think that having Mario be shorter and a bit chubbier makes him look more intresting and unique:
899e54bb2e357893ebfd6135a9ec1614--videogames-super-mario-bros.jpg

I LOVE this version of Mario so much! Just make those cheeks less protruding (as they look a bit weird honestly) and it'd be absoultely perfect in my opinion! And in case you're wondering: no, it's not nostalgia because my first Mario games were from the GBA era, when MArio already had his modern look.
I think the whole thing of having Mario looking a bit more "round" gives him a more defined look honestly, you could even make Luigi taller and more lanky to recreate one of those "fat and short + tall and skinny" duos that you see in most cartoons. It works great for Wario and Waluigi and I think having a slighty toned down version of that for Mario and Luigi would be a really cool thing.

Plus Mario being rounder makes him more like a cartoon character than what we have now IMO, what do you think? Would you like Mario to go back to the shorter, chubbier version of himself?

I like both designs equally.

I also like how some of the artwork for Super Mario Advance is almost like a common ground between both his classic pudgier appearance and his modernize look.

SMA_Art_-_Mario.png

The classic Mario is derpier to me idk

pinging LeftyGreenMario

No you ain't.

Yes, out of 7 billion people on planet earth, 750 million Mario fans, 3 thousand of which are native to this community, you are indeed the only one who thinks this.

Thanos said:
750 million Mario fans

Holy shit where did you get this number :toad:?

Mario has sold only 500 million games as of now and I do't think everyone who bought one of them is a fan lol

Maybe other 250 million fans are from non-game merchandise sales alone.

Saltman said:
Thanos said:
750 million Mario fans

Holy shit where did you get this number :toad:?

Mario has sold only 500 million games as of now and I do't think everyone who bought one of them is a fan lol
it's an educated guess, remember that about half of those 500 million games are shared as a family, and a lot of those games are sold on the BLACK MARKET when people are done with them, so those aren't counted towards game sales

plus, what baby luigi said

Well Mario with red overalls and blue shirt appears in Super Mario Odyssey as a costume :).

I for one prefer the sleeker Mario. Mario back then looked way too chunky. I think the longer legs helps his silhouette by giving them some breathing room and contrast after his round body, so he doesn't seem like a little manling. If you check the Super Mario World artwork, he looks awkwardly proportioned in spots. You can't even tell if he's in super form or not. With the sleeker appearance, it's much more clear in the artwork.

Yoshihold.jpg
575px-Mario_%28holding_Green_Shell%29_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros_Wii.png

I also think the blue overalls is overall (heh) better because it's just a more common and natural color. It also helps balance out between red and blue. Instead of just a smidge of blue being his arms and his chest, you have the top half being red and the bottom half being blue.

MarioTennis1GBC.jpg

I think artwork like this is improved by the longer legs. With shorter legs, there is less room for bending them, and it would be a less defined silhouette. With the newer art, you can tell more easily what the legs are doing.

532px-Mariofall.jpg

Mario_-_Nintendo_Character_Manual.png
466px-Mariosmb3.png
554px-Artwork_-_MARIO.svg.png

But, the trend toward that Mario isn't consistent.
MK8-Line-Mario-Trophy.gif
538px-Mario_bowing_enc.png

But I love either Mario, I just have a preference for the new one. He seems less overly "cutesy" and can be cool to me. I think the proportions play out very well in these artworks. I like when he's just a little bendier.

MH3on3_Mario.jpg
603px-Minismario.jpg
489px-Mario2dleanshade.png
611px-MLhighfive.png

SMSPB_Cover.png
429px-SMWGPB5_Cover.png

Back