The Mario & Sonic Clean-up Thread

BBQ Turtle

Crazy sponsors lady.
Wiki Administrator
'Shroom Consultant
Now that I've finished with the sponsors, I've decided that the next big thing I'm going to attempt to do is clean up the Mario & Sonic coverage, which at the moment, is rather bad. I'm planning on starting with the London 2012 Olympics for the 3DS, and I can do all the games except Sochi 2014 and Rio 2016 arcade if needs be, but some help would be appreciated! Anyway, I'm mainly going to use this thread to check things like whether something needs a proposal or whether what I'm about to do goes against some obscure policy or something, and potentially ask for some help with template / more complex coding, which I'm terrible at.
the_great_mario__sonic_clean_up_thread_by_bbq_turtle-dcfhcr1.png

Anyway, speaking of checking things, I'm planning on starting with filling in the missing events from the 3DS 2012 game- which is almost all of them. But the thing is, currently, all events that share the same or similar names are placed on the same page, despite them being played completely differently. This means that a lot of information in the opening section is unrelated to the event in a specific game, the infoboxes are either overloaded with bits of information from various games or missing entirely, and there are whole sections dedicated to a specific aspect in one game that is entirely missing in another, and that's not going to get any better the more games an event appears in. 100m Dash is an appropriately bad example. So I'm wondering if each different version of the event from each game should be split out onto a different article, with a disambiguation page for the main title, and separate articles focussing only on the controls, missions, playable characters, etc. from the single installment. Obviously, this won't be a problem for events that only appear in one game, such as Duel Beach Volleyball, which can just be made as a single article, but this leads to one other problem beforehand- How do we name the individual articles? I'm thinking of articles separately for both DS/3DS and Wii/Wii U versions of events, so how would we name them if this is how we go ahead, something like 100m Dash (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Wii)? I'd appreciate some feedback on the ideas and any other suggestions for ways we could go about this, this is just my initial idea.

To-do List
This is a list of things that I can't personally do, but it would be useful to get hold of some of these things. I'll update this as we go and more things are sorted out/needed, but I'm putting this in the first page so it's more easily accessible. If you can help with any of these things, it'd be much appreciated. The list that we currently need is:
  • Obtaining images/sprites of the badges from 2012 3DS
  • Getting hold of some missing screenshots from 2012 3DS- lots are highlighted on the main article, but mainly they're missing character ones at this point in time. Some more menu/mode shots would help too.
  • A 3DS ABXY button image for Template:Button
  • Sprites obtained in some form or another from 2016 3DS, including:
    • Difficulty musical notes for Rhythmic Gymnastics/Plus​
    • Regular Golf Club icons​
  • Identify/name the G.U.N. Robots/Super Egg Pawns/Egg Pawn variety/Shadow's teammates in Football in 2016 3DS
  • Obtaining screenshots/sprites of the stickers from 2012 Wii
  • See if any of this missing artwork can be found ( Post here: The Mario & Sonic Clean-up Thread | Page 2 | Super Mario Boards )
  • 2012 3DS translations in Spanish, French, Dutch, German and Italian for all of the events, classes and story mode episodes, as well as Phantasmal Fog, Tower Bridge, Tower of London and British Museum

Last edited:
For sports that are taken from real life sports, refer to MarioWiki:Generic subjects. Which the page itself refers what to do. Basically, if it functions differently from the real event, then it can be split. But, not if it is minor. Dream Events easily fit these and are called Dream before for that purpose. Regular Events need to be checked. This is going to be the main focus from the page. Also, if sports are minorly different from each other for all sports that share a name, probably be best to keep them together. Otherwise split all with the exceptions of: if they are of the same game name or if they are that way for that console only (For example, keep Wii games together if they are the same). However, I am not the one to be asking what to do for names except the game name for same games.

Welp, currently, Cemu cannot run Mario & Sonic at the Sochi nor Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic games. So much for help there.

As far as I'm aware I don't have any of the Olympic series, unless I still have the first Winter Olympics lying around somewhere. But if you want anything specific, shoot me a PM and I'm happy to shine a Spotlight on it.

It's very commendable what you're doing since I think the Mario & Sonic aspect of the wiki is pretty embarrassing. Don't blame the editors though, because the developers don't bother making a worthwhile game (in my opinion) but still.

I have Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, so if anything needs to be cleaned up, I could probably help when I'm not as busy as I am currently.

I'm just thinking, would the thing about the disambiguation pages for the different events with the same names need to go through a proposal first? And what about the naming, would that be able to go on the same one, or would that need a separate one entirely? If a proposal is / proposals are required, I'd appreciate some advice about where they'd need to be put, potential options or anything that would need to be covered in them, thanks.

Edit (10.7.18): There's now a proposal to split Plus and/or Duel Events off of Dream Event, you can vote on it here (Talk:Dream Event#Split Plus and/or Duel Events from this page) if you're interested.

Edit (11.7.18): A second go at the proposal to change the way name sharing events is now up and running here (MarioWiki:Proposals#Change the way that recurring Mario & Sonic events are handled, round 2) (I apparently forgot to mention the first one), opinions would be appreciated!

Is anyone here who has the London 2012 3DS game able to rip some sprites from it? At the moment, there are only three that are currently required (Being the red, green and blue stars for the event's difficulty, I did try and make a thingy for that in the {{event-infobox}} template and then figured out I'd need the images to make them work), but in the future (And quite a way in the future, they wouldn't be needed any time before October at the very earliest- and that's just me being extremely optimistic) the story mode episode icons (The ones with characters in and the camera) and badges would be useful to have around. It's not a problem if no one can do it, it'd just be quite useful- the stars are the only other thing the event articles need now- and I'd appreciate it if anyone can help. :)

I believe I have the copy of the game, but my sister and I are able to take clean screenshots and do a dirty crop or something, if that's what you want.

I don't know if there's anyone who can rip sprites from 3DS to begin with, at least, for games not covered in the Spriter's Resource already. Your best bet is to find someone who has the 3DS London game and HANS software (if it works, not guaranteed work on some games) to take quality screenshots.

Don't look at me like that.

(lefty fatass ninja'd me)

Princess Mario said:
I believe I have the copy of the game, but my sister and I are able to take clean screenshots and do a dirty crop or something, if that's what you want.
I'd just need one image of each of the three colours of star without a background for the infoboxes, if that would work that'd be great.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I don't know if there's anyone who can rip sprites from 3DS to begin with, at least, for games not covered in the Spriter's Resource already. Your best bet is to find someone who has the 3DS London game and HANS software (if it works, not guaranteed work on some games) to take quality screenshots.
I wasn't sure if ripping sprites is the right way to go about it, that was just my first guess. I checked the Spriter's Resource before I even started on the articles and there's nothing there from 2012 3DS, so perhaps it can't be easily ripped from... or perhaps no one likes the game enough to care. All the joys of attempting to cover an unpopular game series.

Update time! I've now managed to make all of the event articles for 2012 3DS, and Yoshi the SSM's helped out with 2012 Wii and is just tying up the loose ends on the final few Dream Events at the moment. I've also made a small start on 2008 Wii, but unfortunately the file with all of the events unlocked and a lot of the other stuff collected has been deleted, so I'm having to start over again just to get all of the events back. Also, the problem that's delaying the creation of home console articles has been extended even further, so I'm unlikely to be able to do them any time soon, but I'm using as much time as I possibly can for it. I'm also planning to try and buy a copy of Sochi 2014 after Christmas, so hopefully I should be able to start covering that at some point or another. Anyway, other than that, the plan's roughly the same, so I'm moving onto 2008 DS next, and if anyone could get hold of those star icons, that would be much appreciated.

Edit (2.1.19): Alright, I now have two pieces of good news, and two pieces of bad news. First piece of bad news: I can't get back to the proper schedule for home console instalments until April- I don't know when in April, but some time that month. At least, looking at it positively, I now have a timescale for that problem. First piece of good news: I now have Sochi 2014! Second piece of bad news: I don't have any Wii Motion Plus devices/Wii Motion Plus Wii remotes, so I can't play it yet, but I'm trying to get hold of some of those as soon as possible. Second piece of good news: I've tracked down all of the missing cases and manuals for the handheld instalments, so I can get all the official descriptions and stuff from there again now.

Edit (16.1.19): And now we've got the controllers. Had a decent hour and a half play session tonight, from what I've seen so far, I'd say it's the second worst in the series. That said there are some good events, along with a few dodgy voice clips, a very creepy character select screen Donkey Kong and stupid "1 male and 1 female character" locking in Figure Skating Pairs (I really wanted to put some stupid people like Waluigi and Bowser together :( ). So I can put this on the pile of things for me to cover now, though I won't be able to write articles on it for a while... I might be able to have a few done by the end of the year?

Super Radio said:
you're doing a very good job, keep them coming!
Thank you, and thanks for all those little fixes you've done too- it's always helpful when someone can pick up the little things I miss!

Edit (7.2.19): OK, here's a little update. I've now finished creating/rewriting all of the 2008 DS articles, which takes another game off the list. I've also been adding some information to the item pages, but this isn't the whole lot- I'm still trying to get through the event articles done as fast as possible to get the proposal off the unimplemented proposals list, but I wanted to add these so that anyone who followed the existing links didn't get there to find no Mario & Sonic information. Anyway, next up on the list is Rio 2016... which requires me to make a navigation template before I can even get started. I've made a start on it, but it still needs a lot of work, so it'll probably be up tomorrow, if not by Sunday, and at the very latest the end of next week. It may still need more work once it's first uploaded to add all of the obvious stuff I'm almost quaranteed to forget, but having somewhere to start from would be a good idea.

Edit (10.2.19): And the navigation template is here! It may still need a little reformatting once I have more information on the games, but it's a good place to start for now. I've linked to it everywhere it's needed. So feel free to check it for stupid mistakes and missing articles and such, and please add them in if you spot any- there are probably a few floating around. Anyway, that big job out of the way, I'm next going to be moving on to the 2016 3DS Event and Plus Event articles.

As own the Wii U version of Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games I decided to start making pages for the Wii U version of the game starting with the Duel Beach Volleyball page. It is a little rough around the edges as it is the first Rio 2016 Wii U page and the second Rio 2016 event page overall, however it is a start and I do hope to make more event pages for the Wii U version of the game in the future.

Doomhiker said:
As own the Wii U version of Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games I decided to start making pages for the Wii U version of the game starting with the Duel Beach Volleyball page. It is a little rough around the edges as it is the first Rio 2016 Wii U page and the second Rio 2016 event page overall, however it is a start and I do hope to make more event pages for the Wii U version of the game in the future.
Good work! It's always helpful when someone can work on the home console events, as I can't get as much access to them as I would like. Just a future suggestion, but is there any chance you could include any relevant tips for the event? I don't know if there are any for Duel Beach Volleyball, but if there are, and for future articles, it's be helpful if they could be added in an extra section. That said though, the rest of the article looks good, thanks for the help!

OK, time for another update. Another change in the home console access situation has meant that regular article creation is now going to end up pushed back to at least June, but I did manage to make a bunch more last month so I'm still getting somewhere with them. I'm slowly getting through the 2016 3DS ones, I've done all of the regular events except for Football and Golf (Which is going to take a while), and the game is as bad as I remembered, which is why it's taking me some time to do them.

The main reason for this post though is that, following the creation of 3DS Rhythmic Gymnastics (which is most fun when played using Mario), I've found a few missing things that I could use that I unfortunately can't provide myself. Firstly, it'd be useful if there was a single image for A, B, Y and X on the button template (Template:Button), something along the lines of {{button|ns|Pad}}, one's used in the game but we don't have one a the moment so I've just done the best I can. There's a similar thing with the difficulty icons used in the compositions table, I've just had to put in those plain musical notes for now but the exact ones used in-game would be helpful- I think both of these would be reused in the Rhythmic Gymnastics Plus article, and they may end up in a few other places too at some point. And we still need the stars for 2012 3DS, if anyone's able to get those. Everything else is going to plan though, so we're starting to get there!

So far, what are the games whose events you have covered completely? I'm very interested in your progress. I would even suggest making a checklist somewhere, maybe on your user page, which could also function as a portfolio of sorts for your work on the wiki.

Bye Guy said:
So far, what are the games whose events you have covered completely? I'm very interested in your progress. I would even suggest making a checklist somewhere, maybe on your user page, which could also function as a portfolio of sorts for your work on the wiki.
At the moment, I've completely finished 2008 DS and 2012 3DS (bar obscure things such as badges requirements, trivial story mode details, emblems, etc.), as well as two articles for 2012 Wii, a decent chunk of 2008 Wii and just shy of half of 2016 3DS. I do have some stuff on my user page related to the project that I have been meaning to update, so I'll get to that soon, thanks for reminding me! I haven't updated it since before I got 2014.

Edit (30.5.19): I forgot to update this when it first came up, but we seem to be having some issues identifying a Sonic thing of some kind, specifically Shadow's teammates in the 2016 3DS Football event. They were previously listed on the wiki as G.U.N. Robots, but nothing is coming up for this name, and the name Super Egg Pawn has also been found, but without a source or any results either. At the moment, the general idea is some variety of Egg Pawn, but it's still uncertain, so if you're any good at identifying Sonic things specifically I'd appreciate it if you could take a quick look at the video below and see if you can help out.
The other thing is another thing about getting hold of some in-game symbols- specifically the icons for each of the regular clubs in golf. They're not vital, but it would be nice to have them to be used in the clubs table in the golf article- just in case anyone's able to get hold of them.

Edit (2.6.19): Good news! I should be able to get back to the regular console article creation schedule next week for a while, so I'll be back to covering 2008 Wii alongside 2016 3DS shortly. And to give an update on my progress while I'm here, I've now finished all of the regular events for 2016 3DS, so that just leaves the Plus Events, which I'll get to shortly.

OK. I finally got the events in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii) all done. And I thought about something about the rivals. As the events play the exact same as what they did before, except that there's only two people no matter what. So the rival matches be redirected to their respected sports page?

Yoshi the SSM said:
OK. I finally got the events in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii) all done. And I thought about something about the rivals. As the events play the exact same as what they did before, except that there's only two people no matter what. So the rival matches be redirected to their respected sports page?
Well done, you've done a really good job on those! Thanks for the help fixing them up, that's three down and seven to go, at least until the Tokyo games are released. Regarding that second part, I presume that you're referring to the links on the navigation template like Rival Showdown: Birdo! (Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree here), in which case, I think making them as redirects is probably the best thing to do. And if there is any extra information to go with it, an extra section can always be added just to cover the rival version of the event on the event's regular page.

The other general thing I quickly want to mention on a slightly unrelated note is how I plan to go about covering the Tokyo 2020 games. I'm probably not going to be able to do much about the arcade game again, apart from maybe helping with some of the structuring, but I do plan on getting the Switch version pretty early on, and I'm probably going to start covering that in my home console instalment time slot, as it's a bit easier to get it covered properly from the get-go (Hopefully given it'll be a new release and it's on a popular console, a few more people might be able to get it, and if they do, any help they might be able to give would be greatly appreciated, hint, hint :) ). Hopefully we'll be getting some more information about it at E3 over the coming days! The current starting setup on the new page is already looking good though, and the event article links already have the correct identifiers, good job whoever that was, so hopefully we can build on that and cover the game properly from the outset. (I'm not trying to pressure anyone into doing anything here, sorry if it does sound that way, I'm just having a hard time phrasing what I want to get across. Thank you for understanding. :) )

Yeah, I was talking about the things like Rival Showdown: Birdo!. And now those redirects are created. And when I get to them when I do the Missions, I will be sure to add what is different. But, it may just be a difference in the change of rules.

Back