Your Opinion On Yoshi's Island DS

Guiliant

Shine Sprite
Pronouns
He/They
I've been combing through YIDS and remembered all the fun times it gave me.

I think that we can all agree Yoshi's New Island was generally a dissapointment, but what of Yoshi's Island DS?

It's certainly not better than the original game - that one is indeed on a level of its own. But YIDS is still a lot of fun. The changing babies mechanic is very fun, and it has a ton of levels to unlock, plus the character coins, minigames, time attack mode, etc...

I think that Yoshi's Island DS is a good game stuck in the unfortunate position of always being compared to a masterpiece, being a sequel and all.

What is SMB's opinion of the game?

The soundtrack for this game blows. I think it's one of the major contributing reasons people dislike Yoshi's Island DS more.

There's also pretty bad level design there. I think there are sections of the game where you don't know what baby to use, so you stick with the one you have and it's too late you realize you need Baby Mario to outrun that Chomp Shark.

Heard complaints about the sprite direction of the game and while some parts is pretty bad, I don't think it's as bad as people say it is. Personally, picking on the strange shading on say the Nep-Enut sprite is nitpicking at this point. Plus, Baby Luigi has sprites in this game and they look so much better than he does in SMW2 YI and that's all that matters in the end.

Also, it's insulting that Baby Luigi is STILL the only kidnapped baby especially with all of the introduced ones being usable. I still demand an apology for that crime.

Otherwise, I think the game takes a lot of the original game. When I've played the original game, I'm like, "I've seen all of this before." and I wasn't too impressed with it. I guess it was a mistake to play DS first but I can't reverse my opinions on the familiarity at all, so eh I'm stuck with that.

I honestly didn't mind the music that bad. I mean, sure it wasn't perfect, but it wasn't grating or anything.

It's the best yoshi game that team ever made.

It's still not great though.

I've enjoyed Yoshi's Island DS for what it was, though it's probably only a little worse than the original. The baby mechanic was an interesting addition, but don't think it's well-executed at points (as my sister said, there were segments where you get to a stork stop and you end up dying because you didn't pick Baby Mario, because you don't know ahead that you're going to get chased by something). Also, I think it's dumb you don't get Baby Bowser or Baby Wario as at least post-game rewards. Also, the whole ending is dumb. You see the storks easily carrying Yoshi. Why can't the storks carry Yoshi the whole way? Everything is pretty nonsensical, especially with Bowser's inexplicable appearance.

i thought it was a fun game, soundtrack didn't really irritate me and at worst it was just "meh"
tbh my only significant complaint was not being able to use all babies in all levels

I thought it was a ugly, sloppy and generally unenjoyable game in all respects. The one thing nice I'll say about it is that the boss battles are generally pretty good (sans the uber brain-dead final boss) and show an inkling of inspiration that the rest of the game badly needed.

Great concept. Mediocre execution. Too bad because I love the idea of Yoshi carrying different babies. Why was Baby Luigi left out? It's silly that he had to be rescued again. And Bowser traveling back in time was odd.

Erm so I guess I just like the idea of Yoshi carrying different babies on his back.

For one thing, Yoshi’s New Island was not a disappointment by any means, but that’s a debate for another thread.

I haven’t played Yoshi’s Island DS, but I really want to. Not as much as the original, though. From what I’ve seen, both look like amazing games.

I dunno. I never played it or seen some gameplay of it. All I know is the fact that characters from the future such as Adult Bowser are in the game. I also know Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Baby Bowser, Baby DK and Baby Wario are nice guys and they have to save the stork and Baby Luigi. BUT WHY THE *bleep* IS BABY LUIGI NOT PLAYABLE!? .Or is he? :babyluigi:

Toadgamer said:
BUT WHY THE *bleep* IS BABY LUIGI NOT PLAYABLE!? .Or is he? :babyluigi:

WHY THE HELL IS HE NOT PLAYABLE IN YOSHI'S ISLAND DS IT'S A MISSED OPPORTUNITY FOR BABY LUIGI TO ACTUALLY BE USABLE FOR ONCE ESPECIALLY AMONG THE OTHER BABIES WHY IS HE USABLE ONLY IN A SPIN-OFF YOSHI GAME IN ITS TWO PLAYER MODE WHY IS HE KIDNAPPED IN YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND THAT GAME WAS RELEASED IN THE YEAR OF LUIGI WHY IS BABY LUIGI-

mario_mushroom_cloud_by_kirbywithamasamune-d4ludp1.jpg

A very pun filled explosion.

Jeez, I had no idea so many people hated this game :-\

Also, just found out adult Bowser's sprite for this game is actually rotoscoped from Yoshi Topsy Turvy, which Artoon also developed.

YFJ said:
For one thing, Yoshi’s New Island was not a disappointment by any means, but that’s a debate for another thread.
I don't know about you, but New Island was one of the most boring and uninteresting games I had played in a long while

It's been awhile since I last popped it in but I thought it was pretty alright on my first run, the different abilities each star child presented was fun to mess around with and some of the new bosses like Hector the Reflector for example was pretty fun to fight. While I feel that the original Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story had more memorable OSTs, a few songs like the Wildlands theme and YI intro theme remix stuck out to me. (Although the final boss theme really stunk compared to the intense shredding masterpiece that was it's predecessor.)

Groot said:
YFJ said:
I don't know about you, but New Island was one of the most boring and uninteresting games I had played in a long while
What about Hotel Mario? Sticker Star? Ultra Smash? Mario Party 9? Man, I could keep the list going!

Also, IGN scores for the YI games (scale of 10):
Yoshi's Island (GBA): 9.7
Yoshi's Island DS: 8.0
Yoshi's New Island: 7.9

GameSpot scores for the same games (also scale of 10):
Yoshi's Island (SNES): 9.1 (average player score)
Yoshi's Island (GBA): 9.2
Yoshi's Island DS: 9.1
Yoshi's New Island: 5.0

Lastly, Nintendo Life scores (scale of 10, integers only):
Yoshi's Island (SNES): 10
Yoshi's Island (GBA): 9
Yoshi's Island DS: 7
Yoshi's New Island: 5

Wow...I never expected to see these kinds of reviews. I have to say I agree with IGN, but I haven’t played the others so I might be biased.

YFJ said:
Groot said:
YFJ said:
What about Hotel Mario? Sticker Star? Ultra Smash? Mario Party 9? Man, I could keep the list going!
Given that I haven't played any of those titles, my statement still stands. And for me it isn't fair to compare the failure of one game to the failure of another when assessing its quality. Just because Hotel Mario is objectively a worse game than New Island doesn't increase my enjoyment of New Island. If anything, I feel more disappointed towards New Island because the Yoshi's Island series had a stellar game to begin with.

to be really really really really frank

i enjoyed ultra smash more than i enjoyed yoshi's island

but i'm a mario tennis sucker and a sucker for mario sports in general

Back