Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A character not listed

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
As promised, a thread where we can crank out our complaints about Pink Gold Peach, Baby Rosalina, Gold Luigi, Baby Daisy, Tiara, and every other Mario character that doesn’t matter.

Two rules: (1) the character has to be minor enough that it can be ripped out of a game with little to no difference in the game, and (2) it must be a character. Species are not allowed here.

Oh, and if you vote “A character not listed” in the poll above, please reply and say which character it was. I may add it to the list.

I’ll start this thread with Gold Luigi, a DLC leader for Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition.

I like Silver Luigi because he was the original Gold Flower form of Luigi, and it distinguished him from Gold Mario. However, I do not like Gold Luigi because he does the exact same thing as Silver Luigi and looks nearly identical to Gold Mario! It’s like Nintendo saying “Let’s get rid of Fox Luigi and make him Raccoon Luigi instead!” All they needed to do was to use Silver Luigi as the Luigi counterpart for Gold Mario, and I would be happy.

My vote goes to Baby Wario, because I feel that Baby Wario's talent is the most inconsequential (collecting money?) compared to the other babies, and even though Baby Wario is propped up to be an important character, being declared a Star Child, the fact that it's the only baby character to have one appearance meant that the title didn't really matter. I also think that Yoshi Island DS could do without Baby Wario at all and in fact I think I read somewhere that Baby Wario is somewhat a last-minute addition, though I imagine that the level design has some parts that require Baby Wario's talent to get 100%.

At least Baby DK appears in another game (Mario Super Sluggers), and Baby Daisy had appeared in more than one game since Mario Kart Wii (a game deemed less important in context compared to Yoshi's Island DS), so I feel Baby Daisy has something going for her since at least we have a second female baby character.

Thank you for reading.

Basically any character that was created to fill out a role that was already filled out by somebody else.

This series has had many examples of that.

Say what you want about Antasma or Bowletta or Dimentio, but I can't say they're exactly pointless.

Tiara is still more pointless than them and I'd argue at this point, she's around as pointless has Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach. But unlike those two, she has a chance to be more than what she is right now.

I think that two of them is pointless. Pink Gold Peach, she isn't outside either Mario Kart 8 and the Switch port. Tiara from Odyssey is pointless when you have to rescue Peach.

Mcmadness said:
Basically any character that was created to fill out a role that was already filled out by somebody else.

This series has had many examples of that.

Baby Luigi

Gold Luigi sounds very pointless since there is Silver Luigi already there. Uses a lot less resources pulling a character from another game than making a whole character based on Luigi.

Pink Gold Peach is not entirely pointless. I mean, if you want to play a metal character (or powerful medium characters) and you're into female characters, PGP is a good choice for you. At least more than Metal Mario for those. But I imagine that is only a small percentage. Probably those who wanted Silver Luigi? Maybe. But I don't have the exact figures. But there is a higher percentage that it would be nice to have PGP over SL.

Baby Luigi said:
Baby Luigi

Is a younger version of Luigi so doesn't really fit that category for me.

King David said:
I think that two of them is pointless. Pink Gold Peach, she isn't outside either Mario Kart 8 and the Switch port. Tiara from Odyssey is pointless when you have to rescue Peach.

It should be noted that Pink Gold Peach appears in Mario Sports Superstars, where she is an unlockable alongside Metal Mario. It's not the most inspiring addition, but Pink Gold Peach did have an appearance. It might be a last minute addition for all we know so I guess Pink Gold Peach could be the character that developers add when they run out of time, similar to Metal Mario in Mario Kart 7 (it is my believe that he's added because Waluigi couldn't be added in time, due to his weight class matching Waluigi, but more unbalanced due to Metal Mario's inherently smaller size making him a bit more difficult to hit).

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
(it is my believe that he's added because Waluigi couldn't be added in time, due to his weight class matching Waluigi, but more unbalanced due to Metal Mario's inherently smaller size making him a bit more difficult to hit).

Thank you for reading.
Well, if we're going by weight class, it seems like Waluigi will fit the Cruiser one at best. Metal Mario's the same class as the true heavies. Who is the Cruiser weight newcomer then?

Game developers then voted in a particular Wednesday. :shifty:

I know, they could've opted for Rusty Copper Luigi.

I think Gold Luigi's dumb too, but I think he's something you can probably dismiss. Just pretend it's Yellow Silver Luigi. :P

Definitively Baby Rosalina, she's just quite pointless to me, she's just be like the other baby pricesses in Patners in Time and she wouldn't do anything. In fact she actually doesn't do anything, as she's a simply filler character for a spin-off.

At least Pink Gold Peach could be Peach after taking a Gold Flower: just like Mario turns into Gold Mario and Luigi into Silver Luigi, so maybe Pink Gold is Peach's tranformation and it actually does make sense.
If that's the case then would Daisy become Orange Silver Daisy?

LeftyGreenMario said:
winstein said:
(it is my believe that he's added because Waluigi couldn't be added in time, due to his weight class matching Waluigi, but more unbalanced due to Metal Mario's inherently smaller size making him a bit more difficult to hit).

Thank you for reading.
Well, if we're going by weight class, it seems like Waluigi will fit the Cruiser one at best. Metal Mario's the same class as the true heavies. Who is the Cruiser weight newcomer then?

Game developers then voted in a particular Wednesday. :shifty:

It seems I have misremembered. I thought Metal Mario was Cruiser weight because I assume that he's small so he can't be THAT heavy.

Thank you for reading.

There are too many pointless characters to choose from, since a good portion of them only appear in a single game as a boss. The Cheepskipper is a notable character for being rather pointless, as it only appeared in New Super Mario Bros. as the castle boss of World 3.

Toadiko

That character could have been easily Toadette. That character should have been easily Toadette.

I'll try to list some I personally find unnecessary at least in some appearances. Yes, PGP, Baby Daisy, Baby Rosalina etc are even more unnecessary but they require no explanation. Fair warning, I'll be getting into the predictable topic of RPG OCs a bit here.

I'm not a fan of Paper Kamek. It just removes another distinction between Paper Mario's interpretation of the world and regular Mario's, where not every character's counterpart had to be the exact same character. I miss Kammy, and I don't think she was pointless because she was one of the many unique things about early Paper Mario games. Plus before Sticker Star, that sprite was used for generic Magikoopa enemies. Super Paper Mario is not clear about the Magikoopa at the start, but considering it wasn't an important detail I don't really care. But not only was there no reason to scrap Kammy, Kamek has not contributed much worthwhile to the Paper Mario series at all, usually being a gimmick that only makes the gameplay worse. Keep him in the games with non-Paper characters sure, in fact I'd have welcomed him and Kammy interacting in Paper Jam.

I find Nabbit pointless too, especially in Paper Jam. One of my first thoughts on his debut appearance was already "why not Popple," but at least it made sense to have a Mushroom Kingdom thief character and it was a rare occurrence of a new character in a non-DS NSMB game so fine. But when they had Popple outside the Beanbean Kingdom in DT, that reasoning (he's from a different region) went out the window. Still nothing to get mad over, in NSMB that's expected. Paper Jam though, there were a lot of pointless inclusions in that game that really felt like they were trying way too hard to avoid recurring M&L characters even where they'd fit perfectly fine. Nabbit was one of those instances. Sure they did something unique with him, but I still think Popple was way more obvious as a thief in a M&L game who even already had sprites made, and I'm sure we all know how I feel about outright banning OCs instead of just monitoring how far they go with them. I'm hoping BIS DX will include Popple in the side story so we can finally see him in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Starlow was pointless in Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions and arguably Paper Jam. In the former, it took place before her debut in the timeline and including her at all (with minimal contribution to the story at that) felt unnecessary, especially with how tired people are of her. In Paper Jam, sure she was the exception to the no-OC '''rule''' but seriously of all the M&L characters she's one of the least interesting and only serves as a Luigi abuser. The above-mentioned Popple would've made more sense coming back than her. Or even better, the Elite Trio, you know, those guys that were established in the M&L Koopa Troop at that point but were just... not there for no in-universe reason other than the '''rule?''' Yet Starlow of all people gets the exception?

Daisy (yes, adult Daisy) in her debut did absolutely nothing different from SMB Peach. She waited in the back room to have thank-you text appear above when Mario gets to her. They had to make sure her name appeared in the message otherwise I'm sure many players would've assumed she WAS the same princess from SMB1. I've said this before, but in contrast Tatanga is quite obviously a different character/sprite from SMB1 Bowser (even down to how he's battled), but which one became recurring? -_-

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
I'm not a fan of Paper Kamek. It just removes another distinction between Paper Mario's interpretation of the world and regular Mario's, where not every character's counterpart had to be the exact same character. I miss Kammy, and I don't think she was pointless because she was one of the many unique things about early Paper Mario games. Plus before Sticker Star, that sprite was used for generic Magikoopa enemies. Super Paper Mario is not clear about the Magikoopa at the start, but considering it wasn't an important detail I don't really care. But not only was there no reason to scrap Kammy, Kamek has not contributed much worthwhile to the Paper Mario series at all, usually being a gimmick that only makes the gameplay worse. Keep him in the games with non-Paper characters sure, in fact I'd have welcomed him and Kammy interacting in Paper Jam.

Kammy is a prime example of a redundant, pointless character. Everything she did was just Kamek's job. Literally everything.

On the other hand, she's more interesting than Kamek (who's not even distinguished in regions outside the U.S.). She should've replaced Kamek while we also get an elderly female character to boot.

Well I can't argue if you like her more but I'll have to disagree with you on her being more interesting.

I mean really neither are all that great. Both existing to be Bowser's right hand wizard that come in to back him up when shit hits the fan.

I mean today, Kammy probably has no chance to replace Kamek, but back then, Kamek is much more indistinguishable from other Kameks Magikoopas. This is Toad all over again. :/ Today's case is different now though.

Still, Kamek should be female IMO.

Nah, just leave him as is.

In fact just get rid of regular magikoopas. Kamek solo has shown up more times then they have as mooks.

make the generic enemy type Kammys

Nah, just have em go away.

Back