• I like him, and I want him to appear again

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • I like him, but I don't want him to appear again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh. he doesn't bother me.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, I don't like him at all.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Blegh no. He's the worst Mario character evah!

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Turkish Bottle Thing

King Bowser
Pronouns
He/him
What is it with you guys? It's not like I'm obsessed with him, but I still find it really weird that I've been through like 10 pages in the Marioverse board without even finding a single topic about Wart!

I'm talking about this guy:

250px-Wart.png

How is it even possible for you guys to not talk about SMB2's main villain for that long?

Anyway, I think this guy is a really neat villain. A reason I love him is how he's like the counterpart of Bowser.

Instead of breathing fire, he spits bubbles. Instead of having red hair and a spiky green shell, He has a yellow crown and a blue robe. Instead of being a super strong guy, he is weak and uses magic (well not really to attack you but to create some of his sidekicks like Fryguy. He could use it in fights). Instead of being sometimes vulnerable to your hits, he's poisonous, so you can't even attack him yourself!

And also while Bowser is weak to things like lava and bombs, Wart is weak to... veggies. That's hilarious!

He's my favourite obscure Mario character (the best obscure one, but not the best one ever), since as a kid I liked him a lot (SMB2 was the only game I had where Bowser wasn't the bad guy), and especially since from the main Super Mario series (1, 2, 3, world, 64, etc) he's the only main villain who isn't Bowser! I think he has potential to appear in newer games and be more fleshed out, because yeah, I'll admit he doesn't have a personality as great as Bowser's, but that's not really his fault.

So yeah, what do you think of him?

It'll be pretty swell if he returned, but I don't miss him overall. I feel he's too similar to Bowser. I like to see more of Tryclyde or Mouser though.

So Super Mario land 1 and 2 just didn't happen then.

Also Wart is lame. Just Bowser but a frog with bubbles.

I love any references to SMB2 because that is my favorite classic Mario platformer

Though I do prefer Tryclyde or Mouser over Wart. To me, Wart is just frog Bowser who hates vegetables. Not very compelling.

LeftyGreenMario said:
It'll be pretty swell if he returned, but I don't miss him overall. I feel he's too similar to Bowser. I like to see more of Tryclyde or Mouser though.

Im sorry but:
latest

How are these two things similar?

I dare say they are the complete opposite of each other.

How are they not?
They are practically in the same pose for crying out loud.

Wart is like the bootleg version of Bowser , kinda how Daisy was used randomly instead of Peach in Super Mario Land.

Mcmadness said:
How are they not?
They are practically in the same pose for crying out loud.

Okay yeah maybe the pose and claws are a bit similar.

But everything else about them doesn't look really that alike at all.

Also sorry I forgot about the land games, but weren't those non-canon?

They are about as canon as anything else in Mario.

And Wart is just Bowser but a frog and bubbles instead of fire. His henchmen are more memorable than he is.

Mcmadness said:
They are about as canon as anything else in Mario.

And Wart is just Bowser but a frog and bubbles instead of fire. His henchmen are more memorable than he is.

What I mean is what about what about all the qualities I mentioned that make him the opposite? I said more than just "evil frog that spits bubbles".

Those are very minor things.

Tatanga has more going for him and he's even lamer.

It'd be pretty cool to see Wart and Tatanga make a comeback in a future Mario title, possibly as allies/henchmen to Bowser or heck even as rivaling tyrants.

Funnily enough, I actually had a dream about Nintendo making a new 2D Mario platformer that is basically the Mario equivalent to Sonic Mania that takes influences from all pre-NSMB 2D Mario games (as well as some other titles), it features the terrible trio wreaking havoc all across a condensed version of the Mushroom Kingdom (as well as traversing some other places such as Sarasaland, Subcon, Yoshi's Island, Isle Delfino, Evershade Valley, Beanbean Kingdom, Sprixie Kingdom and eventually Bowser's domain with a ongoing territorial dispute between the three) The SMB2 crew of Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad would all be playable except instead of them all going on the same quest at the same time, they all have their own unique stories and occasionally crossing paths with one another.

Mcmadness said:
Those are very minor things.

Tatanga has more going for him and he's even lamer.

Well, I can't deny Tatanga's pretty lame since he's just a tiny purple alien (I did like him in those weird gameboy comics though).

But I just think a really weak version of Bowser who uses magic sounds cool to me because it has potential. But maybe the gold crown and the robe (and also that golden necklace I didn't mention) are minor things. I just think they make him non Bowser-ish enough and I like how they look.

A "Bootleg Bowser" would be King Koopa (even if he's purposely a Bowser and Wart combination).

making tatanga relevant (he never was to begin with) would open the door for DIHSO to be developed.

yes im mocking.

I just don't see the point really. It's not like these games have any plot that warrants bringing them back.

I would love to see Wart come back, I think he's criminally underrated

If they could turn him into something other than a Bowser rip-off then he could definitely work

I mean I'd rather have a variation on villains in the Marioverse, else it's just Bowserbowserbowser all the time

heck bowser's a capable protagonist once in a while, why not make him the hero and Wart the villain?

I'd like to see an anthology series, kinda like Mario and Luigi, which features the various different villains of the Mario series, such as Bowser, Wart, Mouser, Tatanga, Cackletta, Fawful, the Shroobs, Kamek, Dimentio, Smithy, Count Bleck, King Boo, Antasma, and even Donkey Kong, giving each of them a chance to star as the main villain for a game or so (some more than others of course, doubt Kamek or Mouser could carry a game by themselves)

Mcmadness said:
I just don't see the point really. It's not like these games have any plot that warrants bringing them back.

The plot of his original game not having anything for him to return means that he should not appear ever again?

Why is it that we have Birdo then? He She didn't have any reason to come back in future games either, but here she is.

There wasn't really a reason to bring back Shy Guys in YI from SMB2 either.

Sometimes a character needs one or two more appereances to be used for something cool (like being a fleshed out antagonist, a boss or maybe a recurring enemy).

Birdo is spin off fodder.

which are spin offs

Mr. Saltman said:
How is SMRPG is a spin-off?

It's an rpg based off a platformer. It's the epitome of spin off.

Mcmadness said:
Mr. Saltman said:
How is SMRPG is a spin-off?

It's an rpg based off a platformer. It's the epitome of spin off.

You're actually right. Sorry for being stupid. It's just that english isn't my native language.

Now, she could appear in main games, but her appearing in a spin-off isn't a bad thing. I just don't really get why was she the one they chose to make comebacks from all the SMB2 characters. Maybe they just needed a girlfriend for Yoshi or something.

That said, the RPG spin-offs could flesh Wart out.

Given that Wart originated from a game that was originally not a Mario game, I think that it's not a huge loss that Wart isn't in subsequent Mario games. What I think is, any elements taken from Doki Doki Panic into a different Mario game are essentially characters with no equivalents found in the Mario games. For example, we never have a bomb enemy, so Bob-omb is a great fit into the Mario games. Another example is an enemy that jumps in place and blends in the dark (they are black enemies), which is why Ninji managed to carry over. As for Shy Guys, I think their character design is a key factor due to their mysterious nature. Finally, there's Birdo, whose character is unique even for Mario that it can fit into Wario.

With those taken into consideration, I feel Wart is not able to differentiate himself from an existing enemy, in which case is Bowser. I think that's a huge barrier for Wart to return, but I am open for a replacement so Bowser takes a break for once!

Thank you for reading.

Back