Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Re: Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo Switch

J-Yoshi64 said:
What about Boss Battles? Do you think that might come back, too? The only bosses in Smash 4 were Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core.

The big mooks in Smash Run are more like minibosses, even if they're more annoying to deal with than bosses, so I'm not counting them.

Ironically, in the Kirby series titles, the mid-bosses do appear in The Arena, and The True Arena respectively.

Ryu said:
The GameFAQs board for Smash Switch is a massive s***show, half the topics are either about removing FE characters or obsessing over K. Rool and Ridley, all with the utmost passion and fervor as if the fate of the world depended on it. I mean... I see where people are coming from, but SmashFAQs takes "serious business" to a whole new level.
I guess it's a step up above "sexiest woman" and the tail stuff????

But this isn't surprising at all.

Baby Luigi said:
Ryu said:
The GameFAQs board for Smash Switch is a massive s***show, half the topics are either about removing FE characters or obsessing over K. Rool and Ridley, all with the utmost passion and fervor as if the fate of the world depended on it. I mean... I see where people are coming from, but SmashFAQs takes "serious business" to a whole new level.

the boards for pretty much any smash game in gamefaqs has pretty much always been a *bleep*show as far as i'm concerned.

i remember the dk vs fire emblem wars there and hoo boy am i glad i don't go there often

Even compared to other boards, like any Smash discussion on the Nintendo Switch console board there is far more normal.

I'm just going to give general thoughts about the character roster for this game. Like I said earlier I'm really leaning towards just about everybody from Smash 4 coming back. Even some of the potentially iffy ones like a few of the 3rd Parties, the clones, and the Mii Fighters (Because we don't know the fate of Custom moves yet).

Because I expect most of everybody coming back though, I don't think the newcomer pool will be all that huge. It will be the first time the newcomer pool is much smaller in a new game in the series. (Or at least it'd be absolutely maddening to expect Smash Switch to have more newcomers then Smash 4 did. There was a total of 19 (21 if you include the Mii Fighters as seperate) newcomers. That's crazy). I'd say my expectations would be at about 5 new 1st party characters including the Inklings in that number and maybe 1 or 2 more 3rd parties added in the main game. With obviously more characters later on as DLC.

I'm going to break down by each franchise what I generally expect and/or think would see if they get an addition.

• Mario: If Mario gets a new Character. It'll likely be Captain Toad. If not though they might keep it the same. I think no new Mario characters are actually more likely then Paper Mario, Waluigi, Daisy, etc. Captain Toad I feel is the only real possibility at the moment
• Yoshi: No new characters
• Wario: No new characters
• Donkey Kong: Gotta have King K. Rool at the very least. But I also think K. Rool might not be alone. I could potentially see Dixie join as well.
• Zelda: A little hard to say at the moment. I actually think there are more questions on whether with Link being BOTW style if he'll have some revamps to his moveset. And whether or not Zelda will be able to transform into Shiek again. New characters I'm just not so sure about right now.
• Metroid: Obviously Ridley will be back in the speculation spotlight. But a dark horse (No pun intended) candidate could be Dark Samus given Prime 4 is coming up. No doubt people would be kinda miffed if a 2nd dark version of a known character made it. But I think Dark Samus would be received much better then Dark Pit was.
• Kid Icarus: No new characters
• Fire Emblem: No new characters (Corrin basically was an early bird, otherwise I think he'd/she'd probably have gotten in here)
• Kirby: No new characters (Maybe a slight chance for Bandanna Dee, but otherwise I'm not confident in a new Kirby character)
• Punch-Out!!: No new characters
• Star Fox: Maybe a return of Wolf somewhere. But that's about it.
• Pokemon: I could see Decidueye being a strong possibility. While character patterns do kinda get overrated at times and I don't always agree they're necessary. It would be nice to have a grass starter to complete the Starter triangle that Charizard and Greninja could make 2/3rds of. That is unless Charizard returns to being with the Pokemon Trainer with 3DS processing no longer a problem. But I feel Charizard alone is more likely at the moment.
• Retro: I'm lumping Game and Watch, ROB, Duck Hunt together even through they're individual franchises. But anyway Ice Climbers will be an obvious want. Though it may depend on if 8 Player Smash makes a return. I actually really like 8 Player Smash. But if the team prioritizes bringing back the Ice Climbers. Either they remove 8 Player Smash altogether if the Switch cannot handle 16 Ice Climbers at once. Or perhaps they make Ice Climbers the only character you can't use in 8-Player Smash and have the game explicitly tell why you can't use them in that mode. As for newcomer possibilities there is Takamaru. But other then that I don't know what else could be added. Though watch Sakurai completely blindside us with someone we don't expect from an old game.
• MOTHER/Earthbound: No new characters
• F-Zero: No new characters
• Animal Crossing: No new characters
• Pikmin: No new characters (It was already basically 2 characters in one slot with the Alph alts)
• Wii Fit: If there's any chance that for the first time a franchise gets cut outside of technical issues (Ice Climbers) and 3rd Party kerfluffles (Metal Gear). Wii Fit Trainer would be the most likely one. But I won't be shocked to see her return.
• Xenoblade: I highly expect Shulk to return with the chance Rex joins him.
• Mii Fighters: I do think they return but I'm not sure yet if they come back the exact same way they did in Smash 4. It depends what happens with Custom Moves. The Switch still can use Miis, it's just they're not as front and center on the console as they were with the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. Being there's no plaza. What is cool is the ability to actually have more color for hair for the Miis. I do think the Mii Fighters are kinda important to include because it allows younger fans (Or young-at-heart at least) to have those "Close enough" stuff to characters that are impossible where either they're real people, or characters that don't quite make the cut through the Mii costumes. The different color hairstyles will even allow people to include close enough versions of some of their favorite anime characters. Have any blue or pink haired Waifu's? You could be able to make a Mii of them in this game now without being restricted to natural hair colors.

I won't cover 3rd Party 2nd reps since I kinda already mentioned that in a question in the merit thread. But overall I think it's very unlikely anyhow. And if it did happen it'd be just Tails or Knuckles for Sonic. Sonic's the only 3rd party with a realistic (But still very slim) chance of having a 2nd rep. The only 3rd Party character I could see have a strong chance at making it in immediately is Rayman. Maybe a mystery 2nd character gets in too. But Rayman's the most likely new 3rd Party I think. And who knows what comes out of the DLC later on. Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were all mind blowing in one way or another. The skies the limit once we reach 3rd party DLCs.

So the pool of characters I could see coming in from the Main Game are as follows (This is not including the already confirmed Inklings):
Captain Toad, King K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong, Ridley or Dark Samus, Wolf, Decidueye, Ice Climbers, Takamaru, Rex, and Rayman

I am not saying all of them are certain or anything, in fact I think it's entirely possible less then half of this list actually makes it. But if you think that's small, that's because I'm not accounting for the inevitable surprise addition or two we'll probably get and I'm only accounting (for the exception of Retro and 3rd Parties) for franchises that have already been in the game. Plus I'm sure there will be a healthy amount of DLC characters. Either way, it should be an exciting time.

(If there are any new franchise possibilities that are on the top of my head now though. Spring Man from ARMS and/or a Rhythm Heaven rep is really all I've got at the moment)

Toad (any variation) would be incredibly disappointing for me as the only new Mario character so if it gets in I will need to vent by playing 8-player Smash vs. 7 of them with the settings heavily rigged in my favor. I'd at least have faith in Waluigi due to his Assist Trophy status and that's what Little Mac started as.

I Got No iPhone said:
Toad (any variation) would be incredibly disappointing for me as the only new Mario character so if it gets in I will need to vent by playing 8-player Smash vs. 7 of them with the settings heavily rigged in my favor.

I would so watch a video of you doing that.

Also, make them all in the same team, turn on friendly fire, and make the SD penalty -2.

Oh, and if you hack the game, modify their moveset files so all of their damage is zero, all of their knockback is zero, and their animations take like 5000 frames to complete.

Sadly the new Switch update probably killed chances of hacking like that for a very long time.

I'd just say don't update the Switch, but I'm not sure if it's easy. I know you can't simply say no to updates during Wii U or 3DS; Wii U, you need to set a DNS (otherwise your Wii U WILL update) while 3DS, well, I'm not sure honestly, but I did install Luma3DS on there and while the 3DS does nag me to update, simply saying no seems to do it for me. Annoying though.

It's annoying Nintendo and other developers like the bright folks behind Xbox and Playstation don't want people modding their games when there is so much benefit and appeal and actually helps sell the game. I know there's a problem with cheating though, but the solution is to just monitor online, as how Steam does it and you can report and VAC-ban people who cheat. To be fair, online competency isn't something I'd trust Nintendo for. I understand if developers don't want a GTA V online/Mario Kart Wii-esque shitfest but that's not the mods' fault.

Baby Luigi said:
I Got No iPhone said:
Toad (any variation) would be incredibly disappointing for me as the only new Mario character so if it gets in I will need to vent by playing 8-player Smash vs. 7 of them with the settings heavily rigged in my favor.

I would so watch a video of you doing that.

Also, make them all in the same team, turn on friendly fire, and make the SD penalty -2.

Oh, and if you hack the game, modify their moveset files so all of their damage is zero, all of their knockback is zero, and their animations take like 5000 frames to complete.

So essentially you're planning to play Super Smash Releasio if Toad gets in?

I actually genuinely like Toad, and I really want him in Smash. He's one of my favorite Mario characters.

I just want to share my wealth of ways I beat up characters I dislike in Smash.

So apparently Funimation wants Goku in Smash.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/03/15/funimation-asks-nintendo-when-will-goku-join-the-fight-in-super-smash-bros/

So if adding Cloud breaks the “Only 3rd party characters who have appeared on Nintendo rule”, would adding Goku break the “No non video game characters” rule?

Oh god, Goku is pretty much a joke at this point, ongoing at least since Brawl was announced. If Nintendo actually does follow through, I think the Smash community will implode and the Smashtansy universe time fabric will probably be a little torn.

though in the Tweet in the article, it ends with emoji, so it seems like the request is tongue-in-cheek?

Okay. I love Dragon Ball. It's my favorite anime of all time. But Goku has no place in Smash whatsoever.

LeftyGreenMario said:
though in the Tweet in the article, it ends with emoji, so it seems like the request is tongue-in-cheek?
It most certainly is.

Northern Verve said:
I'm just going to give general thoughts about the character roster for this game. Like I said earlier I'm really leaning towards just about everybody from Smash 4 coming back. Even some of the potentially iffy ones like a few of the 3rd Parties, the clones, and the Mii Fighters (Because we don't know the fate of Custom moves yet).

Because I expect most of everybody coming back though, I don't think the newcomer pool will be all that huge. It will be the first time the newcomer pool is much smaller in a new game in the series. (Or at least it'd be absolutely maddening to expect Smash Switch to have more newcomers then Smash 4 did. There was a total of 19 (21 if you include the Mii Fighters as seperate) newcomers. That's crazy). I'd say my expectations would be at about 5 new 1st party characters including the Inklings in that number and maybe 1 or 2 more 3rd parties added in the main game. With obviously more characters later on as DLC.

I'm going to break down by each franchise what I generally expect and/or think would see if they get an addition.

• Mario: If Mario gets a new Character. It'll likely be Captain Toad. If not though they might keep it the same. I think no new Mario characters are actually more likely then Paper Mario, Waluigi, Daisy, etc. Captain Toad I feel is the only real possibility at the moment
• Yoshi: No new characters
• Wario: No new characters
• Donkey Kong: Gotta have King K. Rool at the very least. But I also think K. Rool might not be alone. I could potentially see Dixie join as well.
• Zelda: A little hard to say at the moment. I actually think there are more questions on whether with Link being BOTW style if he'll have some revamps to his moveset. And whether or not Zelda will be able to transform into Shiek again. New characters I'm just not so sure about right now.
• Metroid: Obviously Ridley will be back in the speculation spotlight. But a dark horse (No pun intended) candidate could be Dark Samus given Prime 4 is coming up. No doubt people would be kinda miffed if a 2nd dark version of a known character made it. But I think Dark Samus would be received much better then Dark Pit was.
• Kid Icarus: No new characters
• Fire Emblem: No new characters (Corrin basically was an early bird, otherwise I think he'd/she'd probably have gotten in here)
• Kirby: No new characters (Maybe a slight chance for Bandanna Dee, but otherwise I'm not confident in a new Kirby character)
• Punch-Out!!: No new characters
• Star Fox: Maybe a return of Wolf somewhere. But that's about it.
• Pokemon: I could see Decidueye being a strong possibility. While character patterns do kinda get overrated at times and I don't always agree they're necessary. It would be nice to have a grass starter to complete the Starter triangle that Charizard and Greninja could make 2/3rds of. That is unless Charizard returns to being with the Pokemon Trainer with 3DS processing no longer a problem. But I feel Charizard alone is more likely at the moment.
• Retro: I'm lumping Game and Watch, ROB, Duck Hunt together even through they're individual franchises. But anyway Ice Climbers will be an obvious want. Though it may depend on if 8 Player Smash makes a return. I actually really like 8 Player Smash. But if the team prioritizes bringing back the Ice Climbers. Either they remove 8 Player Smash altogether if the Switch cannot handle 16 Ice Climbers at once. Or perhaps they make Ice Climbers the only character you can't use in 8-Player Smash and have the game explicitly tell why you can't use them in that mode. As for newcomer possibilities there is Takamaru. But other then that I don't know what else could be added. Though watch Sakurai completely blindside us with someone we don't expect from an old game.
• MOTHER/Earthbound: No new characters
• F-Zero: No new characters
• Animal Crossing: No new characters
• Pikmin: No new characters (It was already basically 2 characters in one slot with the Alph alts)
• Wii Fit: If there's any chance that for the first time a franchise gets cut outside of technical issues (Ice Climbers) and 3rd Party kerfluffles (Metal Gear). Wii Fit Trainer would be the most likely one. But I won't be shocked to see her return.
• Xenoblade: I highly expect Shulk to return with the chance Rex joins him.
• Mii Fighters: I do think they return but I'm not sure yet if they come back the exact same way they did in Smash 4. It depends what happens with Custom Moves. The Switch still can use Miis, it's just they're not as front and center on the console as they were with the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U. Being there's no plaza. What is cool is the ability to actually have more color for hair for the Miis. I do think the Mii Fighters are kinda important to include because it allows younger fans (Or young-at-heart at least) to have those "Close enough" stuff to characters that are impossible where either they're real people, or characters that don't quite make the cut through the Mii costumes. The different color hairstyles will even allow people to include close enough versions of some of their favorite anime characters. Have any blue or pink haired Waifu's? You could be able to make a Mii of them in this game now without being restricted to natural hair colors.

I won't cover 3rd Party 2nd reps since I kinda already mentioned that in a question in the merit thread. But overall I think it's very unlikely anyhow. And if it did happen it'd be just Tails or Knuckles for Sonic. Sonic's the only 3rd party with a realistic (But still very slim) chance of having a 2nd rep. The only 3rd Party character I could see have a strong chance at making it in immediately is Rayman. Maybe a mystery 2nd character gets in too. But Rayman's the most likely new 3rd Party I think. And who knows what comes out of the DLC later on. Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta were all mind blowing in one way or another. The skies the limit once we reach 3rd party DLCs.

So the pool of characters I could see coming in from the Main Game are as follows (This is not including the already confirmed Inklings):
Captain Toad, King K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong, Ridley or Dark Samus, Wolf, Decidueye, Ice Climbers, Takamaru, Rex, and Rayman

I am not saying all of them are certain or anything, in fact I think it's entirely possible less then half of this list actually makes it. But if you think that's small, that's because I'm not accounting for the inevitable surprise addition or two we'll probably get and I'm only accounting (for the exception of Retro and 3rd Parties) for franchises that have already been in the game. Plus I'm sure there will be a healthy amount of DLC characters. Either way, it should be an exciting time.

(If there are any new franchise possibilities that are on the top of my head now though. Spring Man from ARMS and/or a Rhythm Heaven rep is really all I've got at the moment)

I seriously don't get why Donkey Kong, a Mario subseries, is so popular within the Smash community to get 4 representatives yet Mario, the parent series doesn't deserve any.

yeah mario doesnt deserve any characters thats exactly what he said, you got it right on your first try yippie yi yo

LeftyGreenMario said:
Oh god, Goku is pretty much a joke at this point, ongoing at least since Brawl was announced. If Nintendo actually does follow through, I think the Smash community will implode and the Smashtansy universe time fabric will probably be a little torn.

I like Dragonball as well. But this would be a precedent that's a step too far for Smash to go down to. Suddenly other Anime characters and cartoons will be viable too. 3rd Party video game characters that either have a strong relationship to Nintendo and/or are legends in Gaming history is enough.

I have some predictions for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch:

1. It is a port of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS
2. There will be an adventure mode
3. There will be a new stage because the Inklings are going to be in the game.

Every prediction but the last one is a guess because they didn't announce neither of my first two at the Nintendo Direct. The third one may be obvious because they announced the Inklings for the game.

The Donkey Kong series is more than just a sub series to Mario. It has it's own identity with it's own cast and amazing games completely seperate from Mario.

Let's not forget that currently Mario has 7 fighters (not counting Wario or Yoshi) and Donkey Kong has 2. Just 2. You can see why DK is more a priority.

So it's not that some people don't want Mario to have more characters, it's just that certain series should be more of a priority due to the lack of characters they have.

I think DK can do with just one more playable character, with Dixie or Cranky being the most realistic choice for me. As much as I want King K. Rool, he hasn't been in anything relevant for such a long time. I like to see him make a dramatic reappearance in a new DK game before I feel comfortable to see him in Smash. I also feel DK's important is a little inflated here and I also feel the DK series is very strongly associated with Mario (Super Sluggers being the thing where the two series extensively interacted with each other; Diddy and DK feature extremely frequently alongside Mario in games and Mario-brand merchandise), so I don't think it's an accident that DK is also counted alongside Mario in some head counts.

if i were to pick a new donkey kong character, id go with funky tbh

Lanky.png

HE HAS NO STYLE
HE HAS NO GRACE
THIS KONG
HAS A FUNNY FACE

I am going to guess the unpredictable one and say Rambi, even though its status as a steed in Donkey Kong games makes it less realistic. Note that even though Yoshi was Mario's steed, he managed to achieve viability as a playable character in Yoshi's Island, which is why I made that comment.

Thank you for reading.

Back