Doc von Schmeltwick's SMAS SMB3 expanded sprites

attachment.php

No Need for these Burts to be bashful! :P

I also have some P-Switches I forgot to show in the last dump update, I suppose I might show them at a later point. Working on Scaredy Rat as well right now.

These actually are, in fact, edits of the original Burt sprites, but it's somewhat hard to tell. This took me about two days of on-and-off working. It's a better animation than the Buster Beetle one, since I put all the frames in one Paint.net doc to figure out where they should go before I separated them.

On an unrelated note, check out the JGS Music remakes for several Donkey Kong Country series songs, BrawlBRSTMs3 uploaded several extended versions of them, and they are amazing. Their version of Northern Hemispheres in particular is just haunting.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Beware the Burt Brigade!

Now, Our next update.
Greetings, fellows, and welcome to our expedition to the mysterious habitat of Kamek's Library!
attachment.php

As we can see here, the wild apprentice Magikoopa, or "Toady," is capable of unfurling or withdrawing its propeller at a moment's notice, for either escaping danger, catching prey, or simply putting late-returned books back on the higher shelves. The cardinal red Toady typically travels in groups of four, yet here, we only see one. Where could the others be?
attachment.php
attachment.php

SMW2MarioCrawl.gif
attachment.php

....oh dear.

You should make a Dizzy Dandy sometime, those were like my favorite enemies in Yoshi's Island.

Now you may be wondering why it's been a while since my last update.

There are a number of reasons, including homework, artist's block, and trying to play some games (as well as ripping sprites from Donkey Kong Land).

Another reason is I was tired of most of my fish still having only two frames.

unknown.png

Cheep Cheeps are very versatile, so this is still not even close to done. Still need a few more types of jumps, and alternate swimming directions for ones like Deep Cheep. And I still need to redraw Spiny Cheep Cheep, as the last one's spine position looked odd.

Check out the sudden pompadour in the flopping sprites, though!

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
attachment.php
attachment.php

SMW2MarioCrawl.gif
attachment.php

....oh dear.

I had to resist bursting out laughing like a maniac. These are awesome! Have you tried any Yoshi sprites?

EDIT: Also, if you have a full sheet, you should put these on the Spriter's Resource. I think I've seen you around on there.

Moldomré said:
Have you tried any Yoshi sprites?

I'm currently focusing on enemies with a few items and objects thrown into the mix; playable characters take a lot more work as they're the most versatile in a grand majority of cases. I'll get there eventually, hopefully.

Maybe you can recolor the cheep cheeps to get the different colored variations introduced in later titles like the yellow ones

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Maybe you can recolor the cheep cheeps to get the different colored variations introduced in later titles like the yellow ones
Did that before with the 2-framers, I just didn't want to clog up space on this sheet, so I only went with the more unique edits for now. I wanted to use a different coloration for each behavior (like all the varieties of jumping), but I think I might run out of colors first.

Quick break from this specific project for something related:
unknown.png

These follow proper tile size and palette flexibilty parameters from the originals, so they could potentially be modded into them. Wasn't a fan of how SMM handled these. I've been feverishly perfecting these for the past 3.5 hours or so, though I had worked on giving the Rocky Wrench a slightly-different full body before.

Note that when I make these enemies for the specific project I've previously shown, they'll be more on-model for their modern designs, and have more frames and palette flexibility. I teased them a while back, unfinished....

Hey look, a bunch of Monty Moles!!!

OK. Back to main project. Cheeps will come soon, but in the meantime, I was tired of my still-recolor Goombas. So I made a simple walk animation on a much improved base, still keeping rather small. The body without the feet actually goes within 16x16 pixels, similar to how SMW2 handles it. I also wanted them to be able to chase like in the 3D games, so I gave them a quick, low-frame running animation in addition to the more complex walking one.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Yo said:
I think the feet need to be scaled down, they look really big for a Goomba. Just compare them to the message icon's feet.
Goomba_MP3.png

Goomba feet have been all over the place in size, an inconsistency that pervades even today. What they are is extremely detailed in comparison to official ones. But I usually draw Goombas that way, so just my art style, I suppose.

Been a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time since I updated this.

Anyways.

Today, December 16th, is my 21st birthday. As such, I feel the need to pass on some knowledge to other people, regardless of respective age.

That knowledge is:

attachment.php

Whomp hands are really annoying to draw and animate, I mean jeeze. What happened to the purple spheres? Does the current design actually open? They do here!

Anyways, this is actually the Big Whomp, taking size (width-wise) from NSMB2 and comparing with the Mario in the screenshot, then having that analogized with Mario's SMB3 sprite size, while using the current design from the 3DS Mario Party games onward. Specifically, I actually drew from a reference for the basic shape this time, being a shrunk version of the Puzzle & Dragons graphic for it. The normal-sized one I currently only have the basic standing sprite for, but I wanted to get the big one out of the way first. I also made its teeth and chiseling symmetrical, in case I decide to make the ones that amble around. This took 3 partial days.

(Why can't my message icon be "shocked?")

Enough with the spoiler tags. Here's an extremely minor thing affecting only two frames.

attachment.php

When making the rebound frames for the Big Whomps, I used arms from the previous animations, and edited the arms slightly for the two frames joining the animations. I forgot this initially when shrinking them, and used the counterparts to the original animations' arms for the last one. I realized this, and have now fixed it. The difference is negligible at best on the smaller scale, but I feel better.

Older (incorrect):
attachment.php
attachment.php

Newer (correct):
attachment.php
attachment.php

That blaarg is the highlight of this sheet, IMO. Something about Big Boo looks off to me, though, like the shading seems lopsided to me. Also, I think the doctor dude has too much going on in his face, so it gets a little lost there. Hopefully, you can try fiddling with beard sizes and all so the face reads easier.

Back