What characters do you want for Smash?

Oh boy, this is active again. Piranha Plant: Would you main them?

• Show our leafy lord and savior some respect! / Heck yea!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • They're a cool addition, but probably not.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Nani? Bakana!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I MIGHT not, we'll have to wait and see.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope. It's a stupid addition.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • *Insert long copypasta about how the Grinch Leak was false.*

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I honestly have no opinion on this.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
50/50 on this being completely fair:

+ Waluigi is already in 2 games in some capacity not being an static thropy.

+ If Nintendo wants to add more characters the only real contenders Waluigi has are Captain Toad and possibly the so ever requested Paper Mario.

+ Waluigi, debuting in a sports game and being clearly created originally for that purpose could represent the spin off Mario series accordingly.

--------------

- Waluigi is irrelevant to the main games this is a fact and is generally not considered ''All star'' from Mario unlike the characters already playable in Smash of the series side.

- Much like Daisy, Waluigi's requests are purely based on fake popularity from vocal minorities that like memes on the internet.

- Waluigi being created by Camelot, doesn't and probably will never get the great treatment that the characters created by Koizumi/Miyamoto have gotten , same boat as Daisy.

- Let's face it, all the characters that matter to the main series , have potential for a moveset or simply that are truly popular ARE ALREADY in the game.

----------------------

I don't think its unlikely that Waluigi upgrades, but i will totally put my money on Captain Toad as he has been treated really good by Nintendo and somehow fans really want him.

+ If Nintendo wants to add more characters the only real contenders Waluigi has are Daisy, Captain Toad and possibly the so ever requested Paper Mario.

I think you forgot someone else so I fixed it for you. Captain Toad can't jump and Paper Mario is a third Mario....do we really want another Mario Kart 8 situation?

memoryman3 said:
+ If Nintendo wants to add more characters the only real contenders Waluigi has are Daisy, Captain Toad and possibly the so ever requested Paper Mario.

I think you forgot someone else so I fixed it for you. Captain Toad can't jump and Paper Mario is a third Mario....do we really want another Mario Kart 8 situation?

Why is "Captain Toad can't jump" a valid argument? Why is it still used?

He's referring to how Mario Kart 8 has a Baby Mario, Metal Mario, and Tanooki Mario.

And you know, why the hell not. Add Baby Mario and Baby Luigi into this game. I'd be all over it.

Anything that isn't a Mario character or a fire emblem character.

Toad might honestly be one of the biggest Nintendo characters not playable. Certainly the biggest Mario character who hasn't been added. If Toad is added it will most likely be as Captain Toad but I could see Toad's standard outfit being a Wario style alt, or even having Toadette in an Alph situation.

With his presence in Odyssey and his game getting not one but two ports later this year, he seems inevitable.

Yeah I have consistent opinions, what a shock.

GalacticPetey said:
Toad might honestly be one of the biggest Nintendo characters not playable. Certainly the biggest Mario character who hasn't been added. If Toad is added it will most likely be as Captain Toad but I could see Toad's standard outfit being a Wario style alt, or even having Toadette in an Alph situation.

With his presence in Odyssey and his game getting not one but two ports later this year, he seems inevitable.
Also, if I recall correctly, Toad is one of the more requested characters since at least Melee.

Toad/CaptainToad's the only one missing in my opinion. Also, y'all keep saying Nintendo loves spamming Mario games with Toads, but we haven't seen Nintendo extend the love toward Smash Bros..

LeftyGreenMario said:
GalacticPetey said:

Also, if I recall correctly, Toad is one of the more requested characters since at least Melee.

Toad/CaptainToad's the only one missing in my opinion. Also, y'all keep saying Nintendo loves spamming Mario games with Toads, but we haven't seen Nintendo extend the love toward Smash Bros..

We have Peach and Rosalina, but no Daisy. How is she NOT missing from the playable roster? Tennis games are not important?

Swiftie_Luma said:
- Much like Daisy, Waluigi's requests are purely based on fake popularity from vocal minorities that like memes on the internet.
I think you're right on most of your points but I'm not so sure about this one. At least within the Mario fandom on the internet, liking Waluigi appears to be in the majority rather than the minority. Not all of these people necessarily vie for his inclusion in Smash, but I suspect most Mario fans (and many other Nintendo fans) would at least be unopposed to it. If the requests that are worth paying attention to are not from fans on the internet, than who are they from? That being said, there are still many newcomers with a greater chance than Waluigi, even others in the Mario series like Toad (though I'm not so sure about Paper Mario having a greater chance despite having a lot of requests from PM fans).

memoryman3 said:

uhhhhh i THINK NOT.

Captain Toad is a fierce contender and one of the very very few characters many actually want as playable. Daisy isn't one of them.

memoryman3 said:
We have Peach and Rosalina, but no Daisy. How is she NOT missing from the playable roster? Tennis games are not important?

yes they are

that's why waluigi is an assist trophy.

Daisy IS in the game.

She's just a Peach color pallet, and that's all she'll ever BE, because there's not anything that makes her that special or unique!

I don't even think Rosalina should have gotten in the game. Not before Toad anyway. I personally believe if you have an iconic series like Super Mario in Smash, you should have the series most iconic characters in before anyone else. That's not to say Rosalina isn't iconic, she's just not as iconic as Toad.

I don't hold this standard for every series. Series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem have a different cast in every game so the rules are different. But these are my personal opinions. If I was in charge of the character choices in Smash the rosters would like wildly different in each game.

I think the biggest reason Rosalina got in was the team had more ideas for her kind of moveset, easier to develop it and have it stand out compared to the other fights. Captain Toad also is known for not jumping, and he even has a backpack that emphasizes this limitation, and jumping is a crucial part of Smash Bros., so incorporating him MAY be a challenge. If he were to jump, perhaps he can spawn temporary platforms that quickly lift him and don't last long at all.

I was also surprised Rosalina got in the game since she's not here for very long though she IS prominent in Super Mario Galaxy. It'd be like putting Pauline or Cappy as a new playable character for Smash Bros. after a spotty record of spinoff playable appearances.

For Captain Toad not jumping, it's not difficult to create liberties in order for him to get him working properly in Sm4sh. Just because he can't jump in the games, doesn't mean he can't be playable in Smash. The developers will find other ways to emphasis his lack of jumping skills in the games, such as making have poor air mobility or a low jump height instead.

Indeed one thing Smash is famous for is disregarding faithful portrayals of characters. Since the beginning Captain Falcon is completely different from who he is and what he does in F-Zero. Moveset and personality.

Captain Falcon was nothing when they put him in smash.

Actually he did have a backstory and comics to demonstrate what kind of character he is.

But yeah. In game they had nothing to go by.

Koopaul said:
Actually he did have a backstory and comics to demonstrate what kind of character he is.

But yeah. In game they had nothing to go by.

And we all know how much third party media counts towards these kinds of things.

Back