What characters do you want for Smash?

Oh boy, this is active again. Piranha Plant: Would you main them?

• Show our leafy lord and savior some respect! / Heck yea!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • They're a cool addition, but probably not.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Nani? Bakana!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I MIGHT not, we'll have to wait and see.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope. It's a stupid addition.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • *Insert long copypasta about how the Grinch Leak was false.*

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I honestly have no opinion on this.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Mintiously

Prince of LOUD.
Pronouns
They/them
Welp, it's about time I get out of Mindless Junk. If there's going to be Smash for the Switch, (or as I like to call it, Switch-And-Smash) who do you want to see added the most?

personally Pauline is a good choice in my book but that's my opinion please don't hate

Returning characters:
*Snake
*Wolf
*Ice Climbers
*Young Link, but with a different moveset

New Characters:
*Daisy or Waluigi
*Golden Sun's Isaac
*Shantae's Shantae
*Zelda's Impa or Ghirahim
*Fire Emblem's Ephraim

Cut Characters:
*Bayonetta

Waluigi
Paper Mario
Fawful
Geno
Wreck-it Ralph

the second 2, i'd be satisfied with anything from their series (in PM's case I mean of course the first three) but as for the main recurring Mario cast Waluigi is the most glaring omission and should definitely be the next promotion from the assist trophies. Geno i thought couldn't happen but then the DLC happened, I think he has a good chance now. obviously not all of these will get in at once, best I can hope for is Waluigi + one of the next three

also, I unironically want Wreck-it Ralph. I know he's a movie and Disney character but his movie has Bowser in it, its sequel will probably have Mario, the movie is about games, etc. Otherwise i have no preferences, other than i guess it would be nice to see a smaller percentage of newcomers that use swords, and clones are disappointing but not a deal breaker as long as there's enough new unique characters. I guess there will probably be Inklings and maybe ARMS characters. Possibly Rabbids but I'd prefer Rayman.

This is operating under the assumption that Smash for Switch is an enhanced version of the Wii U version.

Returning Characters:
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Snake

New Characters:
Inkling
King K. Rool
Spring Boy
Impa

Slushy the Slushball said:
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Fawful
Geno
Wreck-it Ralph

the second 2, i'd be satisfied with anything from their series (in PM's case I mean of course the first three) but as for the main recurring Mario cast Waluigi is the most glaring omission and should definitely be the next promotion from the assist trophies. Geno i thought couldn't happen but then the DLC happened, I think he has a good chance now. obviously not all of these will get in at once, best I can hope for is Waluigi + one of the next three

also, I unironically want Wreck-it Ralph. I know he's a movie and Disney character but his movie has Bowser in it, its sequel will probably have Mario, the movie is about games, etc. Otherwise i have no preferences, other than i guess it would be nice to see a smaller percentage of newcomers that use swords, and clones are disappointing but not a deal breaker as long as there's enough new unique characters. I guess there will probably be Inklings and maybe ARMS characters. Possibly Rabbids but I'd prefer Rayman.
Eh, I think we're good on Mario characters

Returning characters
Ice Climbers (absolutely, I love them a lot and I miss them dearly)
Wolf
Snake
Ivysaur
Squirtle

So pretty much all the Brawl cut characters. None of these guys really deserve to be axed, especially that all of them have quite unique movesets (maybe aside from Wolf, but he has played a prominent role in the Star Fox games so I think he also deserves to stay)

New Characters
Inklings (no brainer, their guns and ink and squid forms would make for a really fun moveset)
King K. Rool
Impa
Takamaru (please oh please give him his chance to shine)
Toad (I've always wanted him, Captain outfit or not, and I think he should make it in)
Tingle (gotta introduce a new punching bag somehow)
Doomguy (Glowsquid suggested it on Discord and I have to agree, he'd be a terrific WTF 3rd party character)

Of course I want Baby Luigi playable in some form but I don't think that's gonna happen sans mods any time soon so I'll just leave him and Baby Mario off the list.

Rayman

the only Mario character I feel missing is Toad and Toad deserves more than just a side-special punching bag, he deserves to be a full-featured punching bag.

- King K. Rool
- Inklings (pretty much a surefire deal)
- Spring Man (maybe have Ribbon Girl as an alt)
- Ice Climbers
- Shovel Knight

Honestly I've got pretty much every first-party character I could want without going into "favorite Pokemon" or "favorite Fire Emblem character" territory. And we all know Mienshao and Owain are never going to happen.

Alex95 said:
Cut Characters:
*Bayonetta
Given how Bayonetta 3 was announced as a Switch exclusive and the first 2 games are coming as well, I really don't see that happening.

Weasel said:
Owain are never going to happen.

Aw... Maybe if Lucina returns, he could be an alt of her? Though I'd like to see a more original moveset (then again, every FE character in Smash uses Swords, so...)

Weasel said:
Alex95 said:
Cut Characters:
*Bayonetta
Given how Bayonetta 3 was announced as a Switch exclusive and the first 2 games are coming as well, I really don't see that happening.

Oy, forgot about that.

I'd like to see E. Gadd, Cranky Kong, and Phoenix Wright.

Also maybe a bonus mode where another person can play as the stage and move/activate all the stage hazards and whatnot.

If we're looking at a Smash 4 port to Switch, I feel that the only two it needs and the two most likely are Ice Climbers and Inkling. If we're looking at wishes, I'd like to see Wolf return, and Shovel Knight as a newcomer. If there weren't already six Pokemon reps, then I'd also say give Decidueye a go.

I still don't see why the idea of Smash 4 port is so popular. I mean, MK8 Deluxe is cool I guess, but why should the Switch get ports of the Wii U's big games when the Wii U (and every system before it that featured these series) had brand new games. (Melee and Brawl didn't get ported to the next system) If Smash on Switch was a port, I'd have liked it to be announced at the presentation in January and released around when MK8 Deluxe was, or at least by now. I feel like now we're too close to the time Smash 5 should be announced and the hype train begins for that.

But in a Smash 4 port, I couldn't reasonably expect a ton of new characters. It should at least have all the 3DS content though.

If the Switch gets modded, I can't wait to transfer all my mods there to the Switch, so I can play 8-player Smash on the go. Would be a dream come true.

I don't see why not tbh, but I do prefer new games rather than the Switch being a port console. We are getting quite a few new installments on a regular basis, and with the recent success of the sales of the Switch, I'd imagine Nintendo would be willing to take more risks and release more new titles for the system, and that could probably include a new Mario Kart/Smash game alongside a port.

Realistically speaking, a Smash 4 port is more likely for the Switch at this point. Being able to get Smash on to the Switch as quickly as possible would allow for even more success and console sales. I'd prefer they didn't choose this route, but as it stands, it seems the most likely.

this is the reason I dont want a switch
there's like only one game for it I want that isnt a port so I might as well just get a cheaper console. and if they keep this up I really am probably not going to get one

I'm actually very happy with a lot of the Smash 4 roster. Cloud in particular was mega hype for me, and Bayonetta's inclusion was great and helped me get into her series. So I don't really have any "Sakurai MUST include this character or else the roster will be unfair" characters, but there are a few character changes and newcomers I'd really love to see:

First-party newcomers: Prince Sidon, Blaziken, Waluigi (as a Wario rep), Lyn
Third-party newcomers: Sora (Kingdom Hearts), Sephiroth, Snake (returning from Brawl), an Overwatch character (Tracer would be cool but D.Va would be amazing), and HOLY **** DARTH VADER WOULD KNOCK MY SOCKS OFF (and seeing him get an article on the MarioWiki would be highly amusing)
Character changes:
  • Mario's Final Smash should be changed to T-Rex Mario from Odyssey, and maybe he can use Cappy in a few of his other moves.
  • Link and Zelda should use their BOTW designs, with a few moveset tweeks to reflect it.
  • Ganon should be decloned further. End of story.
  • Samus and ZSS should use their Samus Returns design; Samus should use the Melee Counter and standard uncharged cannon shots in her moveset.
  • Greninja's Final Smash should be Battle Bond (Ash-Greninja).
  • Lucina should return as a semi-clone of Marth a la Roy, rather than a full clone.

Baby Luigi said:
If the Switch gets modded, I can't wait to transfer all my mods there to the Switch, so I can play 8-player Smash on the go. Would be a dream come true.

I don't see why not tbh, but I do prefer new games rather than the Switch being a port console. We are getting quite a few new installments on a regular basis, and with the recent success of the sales of the Switch, I'd imagine Nintendo would be willing to take more risks and release more new titles for the system, and that could probably include a new Mario Kart/Smash game alongside a port.

Tbh I'm in favor of a new installment rather than a Switch port. The Switch represents a new "era" for Nintendo with tons of great, new ideas, while a lot of stuff in Smash 4 reflects mid-2010s "dork age" it was released in *coughstickerstarandothermstagescough*. A Smash 4 port would feel horribly dated, so I feel that a new installment would be fantastic to reflect how far Nintendo has come with the Switch and its early successes like Odyssey and BOTW.

Ryu said:
Baby Luigi said:

Tbh I'm in favor of a new installment rather than a Switch port. The Switch represents a new "era" for Nintendo with tons of great, new ideas, while a lot of stuff in Smash 4 reflects mid-2010s "dork age" it was released in *coughstickerstarandothermstagescough*. A Smash 4 port would feel horribly dated, so I feel that a new installment would be fantastic to reflect how far Nintendo has come with the Switch and its early successes like Odyssey and BOTW.

Dated? The game's only been out for just a little over 3 years. Only about half as long as the release break between Melee-Brawl and/or Brawl-Smash 4. It's still a little too soon to go on to a completely new installment. Especially as it would make some easy money porting one of the most popular Wii U games to a system that's already super popular without a Smash Bros. title when for many the Wii U was for the most part the Smash Bros. machine. (Also all those character amiibo that would be left in the dust if Smash 4 is never brought to the Switch)

I feel a port is still coming, though there's still room that a new installment could come later down the road. That way Switch owners can enjoy what they missed out on if they never got a Wii U (Which at this point is a lot of people) first for a while. And then maybe get to look forward to another installment later in the Switch's life.

Northern Verve said:
Ryu said:
Baby Luigi said:

Dated? The game's only been out for just a little over 3 years. Only about half as long as the release break between Melee-Brawl and/or Brawl-Smash 4. It's still a little too soon to go on to a completely new installment. Especially as it would make some easy money porting one of the most popular Wii U games to a system that's already super popular without a Smash Bros. title when for many the Wii U was for the most part the Smash Bros. machine. (Also all those character amiibo that would be left in the dust if Smash 4 is never brought to the Switch)

I feel a port is still coming, though there's still room that a new installment could come later down the road. That way Switch owners can enjoy what they missed out on if they never got a Wii U (Which at this point is a lot of people) first for a while. And then maybe get to look forward to another installment later in the Switch's life.

I see. That would actually be pretty nice, I was under the impression that the Switch could only get one Smash game in its lifetime. With a Smash 4 port, we'd definitely get a bit of modernized content from games like Splatoon, ARMS, Odyssey and BOTW, and maybe one or two hype third-party newcomers (and hopefully more FF7 content so I can rock out to One-Winged Angel when brawling...).

Keep in mind that announcing a new installment this year doesn't mean it will release this year. Smash 4 was announced in E3 2013 and didn't release until over a year later in late 2014. I think that a late 2019 release is reasonable for a new Smash game, so it could be announced at E3 2018.

Ryu said:
First-party newcomers: Prince Sidon, Blaziken, Waluigi (as a Wario rep), Lyn
Third-party newcomers: Sora (Kingdom Hearts), Sephiroth, Snake (returning from Brawl), an Overwatch character (Tracer would be cool but D.Va would be amazing), and HOLY **** DARTH VADER WOULD KNOCK MY SOCKS OFF (and seeing him get an article on the MarioWiki would be highly amusing)
if we're bringing in darth vader, we can't forget obi-wan

there has to be balance in the force

do princess leia instead
her final smash will be flying through space w/o a ship

although it'll never happen, and yes, i am being VERY SERIOUS...

Waluigi.

During the Smash ballot, there were five characters I wanted to vote on. Theses were the ones:
  • Bomberman
  • Dixie Kong
  • Shovel Knight
  • Rayman
  • Banjo-Kazooie
While I still want to see these characters (no matter how unlikely they are) I also want to see a few other characters.
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Shantae
  • Wolf (returning)
  • Ice Climbers (returning)

Back