How much of Yoichi Kotabe's art style should be used for Mario?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Before we go on, we want to be clear on something: this is what Yoichi Kotabe's Mario art style look like:

Club_Nintendo_Characters_Poster.png

Although Yoichi Kotabe's Mario art style has been used since Super Mario Bros., the games has never really used them. In fact, his artwork is most present in the official art, including the box art of the older games. At one point, 3D models of Mario and co. are used, and while they never seem to make Mario look out of place, they can also be viewed as "unspectacular" for being the standard look over the years.

The first notable game that started using this art style in the games is Super Mario 3D Land, which the man himself was involved in (check out Peach's letters to get what I mean). It is since Super Mario 3D Land that we see games starting to implement them in some manner, such as Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and even Mario Party: Star Rush, so it can be deduced that the developers loved this art style. In addition to this, marketing material is also making use of this art style more frequently, such as Super Mario Odyssey.

Most recently, there is a Shigeru Miyamoto interview with GameInformer, in which the guys asked a question regarding this:
GI: We've been seeing more of Yoichi Kotabe’s classic Mario art lately in marketing and other places, like the character select screen in Super Mario 3D World. Will we ever see a 2D game made entirely of Kotabe’s art?
SM: We’re at almost like a turning point. When you look at Mickey Mouse there is the classic Mickey Mouse, and then there is the modern Mickey Mouse and the classic one has a lot of flavor to it and the modern Mickey Mouse looks really great, but it is losing a little bit of the flavor, and that’s something we discuss to make sure we keep that intact as we’re creating characters. And of course the development team for any Mario game may want to use Kotabe’s art, but there is also a character-development team that’s really working hard to create new styles and new work. Once they get more work done, I think more and more of that will be reflected into games.
We did a collaboration recently with Uniqlo where it was a contest for people to send in drawings, and like that we want to continue create and evolve new art styles.

GI: And you feel like the pristine, perfect flavor for 2D Mario is that beautiful, clean Kotabe art?
SM: I do believe that Mr Kotabe’s art has become kind of a standard within Nintendo, but we definitely want to continue to see if we can evolve that as time goes by.

Essentially, while Kotabe's artstyle is well-liked in some parts of the development team, there are also some people in the development team that want to create other styles. The second question is likely alluding that they're investigating the ways in which Kotabe's art style could evolve. From my understanding, it means that the Kotabe artstyle isn't necessarily the standard art style in Mario games, but rather, it would occasionally be used if the developers need to. If going by past examples, we have had Paper Mario's clever use of paper as a thematic style, Mario Strikers' rough and sketchy style, along with Mario & Luigi's lighthearted and bold art style.

I have quite a few thoughts on this matter. Firstly, I would want to see a game that is fully composed in Kotabe's art style because it's a very clean look that is basically synonymous with Mario, and while there were some glimpses in the games, it's not the fully-playable kind. I can see a 2D Super Mario go in this direction because it made the most sense, but I would also like to see this style experimented on another genre, like perhaps an adventure.

As a bold idea, I hope that the developers could convert Kotabe's art style into full 3D, with shaders that would mimic that art style, and while I am guessing that it would likely be used in a mainline Mario game to showcase this, I would personally like to see it used in Mario Party games since they not only used this art style, but also incorporate a wider variety of character expressions within it (as seen in Star Rush, for one).

Another thought I have on this is, I kind of agree with letting the other developers experiment different art styles. The fact that there are many different art styles in the Mario series is one of the reasons I appreciate Mario (as well as being the first topic since I joined Marioboards, a good starting point). The fact that people still appreciate Paper Mario's art style is a shining example of this, which is borne out of an experiment in putting 2D sprites in a 3D world for Mario's next RPG. Essentially, giving Mario a different style is a viable way of making a game memorable. It's not just games that have its own style, but Super Mario-Kun's big-eyed characters made the characters cuter and expressive, which is a strength for a comic.

A Mario animated series that makes extensive use of this art style is something that I think would make sense as a starting point, but I am not certain if the art style could be used for long, because the animation effort might be a huge undertaking. I feel that a series of shorts should be used to get accustomed to the idea of animating Kotabe's art style, because unless the developers could make it work, it feels like they need to work out on how to properly convert the animation aspects. I might be the minority here, but I appreciate the Super Mario Bros. Super Show art style despite having a budget that is lower-than-standard and their distinctive take on Mario.

With that said, I am all right with not using Kotabe's art style in every single Mario promotional material, because I feel that the 3D ones work just fine in some instances like food packaging, but that doesn't mean I am against it, because we have some greats, like the one with Mario relaxing on a beach with his shorts while Yoshi's buried in sand and Toad's chasing a crab. I adored this art style so much that it's the only Nintendo Badge Arcade badges ("Mario & Friends") that I am willing to spend money to collect.

Well, it looks like this post has gotten long. Sorry about the lengthiness of this topic! Anyway, what's your take on this topic?

Thank you for reading.

What I really want is a Kotabe-style 2D Mario game à la Rayman Origins (or with the 2D shaded art, like Rayman Legends).

I really like the balance between 3D art and 2D art in later games, like 3D Land, 3D World, the stamps in MK8, Mario Party: Star Rush
and Super Mario Run...
vhcnfWx.png

and Mario Odyssey.
337px-SMO_swimwear_wallpaper.jpg
337px-SMO_explorer_wallpaper.jpg
337px-SMO_Wallpaper_-_New_Donk_City.jpg

Even from merchandising:
ikHrZYW.jpg

Some Kotabe-style art are well animated, with the LINE stickers.
Mario_%28Running%29_-_Super_Mario_Sticker.gif
Mario_%28Pipe%29_-_Super_Mario_Sticker.gif
Goomba_%28stomped-eng%29_-_Super_Mario_Sticker.gif

I’d love to see a game with this artstyle a la LINE, with no shading.

It would be interesting if a Super Mario Puzzle League game utilized that kind of art style.

I feel like a whole game with this art style would be a bit odd, but a 2D style akin to this would be cool.

I always felt we didn't get enough of the 2D art so I'm glad it's making a reappearance as of late.
As for basing the 3D models on it, I'm not sure how possible that is, especially considering some of the promotional materials Nintendo uses does use 3D versions of the 2D artwork already. Mario & Luigi is able to do it because certain designs (such as the Bros' mustaches being emphasized over their mouths) make it a bit more distinct so the 3DS models stand out (speaking of which, has anyone ever ripped the models from the Giant Battles/Papercraft Wars yet? Especially the latter considering it's hard to see the characters clearly in-game).
And I think we can all agree that a hand-drawn 2D Mario side-scroller is the dream.

winstein said:
As a bold idea, I hope that the developers could convert Kotabe's art style into full 3D, with shaders that would mimic that art style, and while I am guessing that it would likely be used in a mainline Mario game to showcase this, I would personally like to see it used in Mario Party games since they not only used this art style, but also incorporate a wider variety of character expressions within it (as seen in Star Rush, for one).
Not sure if 3D is the best route since you'll lose a bit of information in the transition (inevitably) but if they do this, it'll have to be cel-shaded.

That being said, I'd like a full-on 2D platformer or spin-off that uses that art style. Star Rush is a good start but let's go full-on.

Also, we should get an entire game in Super Mario-Kun's art style too. ^.^

If there's another 2D Mario platform game, THIS is the art-style I want to see them use.

Also, I'm glad this type of art has a name behind it. I don't like calling it "Super Mario 3D World" art, because while I do know that 3D World popularized it, it has been around for quite some time.

His art is a staple of Mario and should always be used.

I like it's taking over Mario Party lately.

I absolutely adore that art style. I'd like to see a 2D platformer with it animated like Wario Land: Shake It.

Swiftie_Luma said:
His art is a staple of Mario and should always be used.

I like it's taking over Mario Party lately.
If Mario Party is a test, then it looks great and I hope they explore more of that art style.

I've always been calling it the 2D art style. Anyway, I would love to see this art style used for a game, or something larger than the smaller appearances, as I've always liked it since I first saw it.

Baby Luigi said:
If there's another 2D Mario platform game, THIS is the art-style I want to see them use.

Also, I'm glad this type of art has a name behind it. I don't like calling it "Super Mario 3D World" art, because while I do know that 3D World popularized it, it has been around for quite some time.
Indeed, the NAP-02 deck of the Nintendo-made Mario Playing Cards, released in 2010, already had this kind of artwork, including the one of Bowser Jr. that was reused in the 30th anniversary.

Back