Mario Party the Top 100 for 3DS

LMFAO this animation is so unintentionally funny.

TFALEYp.gif

Peach is so done with life.

Either way works, just as long the port adds missing content or the new game has a better mechanic than 9 and 10.

2T7CD09.png

Buh bye fat man

This is actually from Minigame Island. My first attempt of lighting BAY was a failure but my second attempt snared Daisy and Waluigi (who knew, they're also my most common opponents in minigame mode) in B and fat man was hiding in Y, nice guy.

I lit BAY because eh, chances are pretty much the same buuuut it might be some Monty Hall thing. Mario Party should have a Monty Hall minigame so it can educate people on probability and why it's sometimes not what it seems.

I think the closest Mario Party came to doing that was Three Door Monty. And that was probably more-so for the pun than anything.

Oh my god, how can you improve the mode with a better mechanic, yet introduce a new type of BS in Balloon Bash that undermines it, an already heavily flawed mode that if they plan to make an entire game about, they better damn introduce A LOT of improvements to it.

Minigame Match, the sole board gameplay mode, has introduced some new improvements that I appreciate. The items you can get are now more varied, with Mecha Fly Guys, Genie Lamps, and Boo Bells. They all are extremely useful items, with the Genie Lamp arguably being the most useful. In addition, instead of rolling exactly the amount you need to land on the sole Shy Guy Shop space, on the middle of the board, all you need to do is roll an even or odd, which is so much better than it was in Balloon Bash, since you absolutely need items to win in this mode, no doubt about it, and Shy Guy Shops are the areas where they store the really powerful items that you want anyway. Also, if two of you pop a Star Balloon, instead of random BS deciding who gets it, you both participate in a Duel thing that is an Ally Duel. Granted, the Duel system is still pretty BS, with one skill-based one I played (mash the button 5 times), but it's far better than randomly random rando in Balloon Bash.

But my god did they royally screw up with the whole Minigame Roulette thing. As if the value of coins isn't already horribly low enough due to how liberally they hand them out in this game (and how cheap things are, with the Star Balloons and coin sucking penalties), they introduced yet another way opponents can stockpile on coins by doing practically nothing. You can already get coins by simply passing by coin balloons, a hefty 10 from some, but now, you all have your own minigame pack to choose from for the roulette, and if the game decided you deserved extra coins because the roulette randomly chose a minigame from the pack, you can get a ridiculous bonus from it. If another guy places first and you go in second in your minigame, second place guy will earn as much coins as the first place guy. I never liked the "freebie coins if you placed 3rd" in a minigame concept in the first place, but all that system does is excaberate the problem.

By the end of the round, Wario has like, 70 coins despite not winning a single minigame. He could buy two sets of three Star Balloons if he was able to, and without items, he will, and he pretty much did nothing the entire match aside from pop balloons here and there. I did end up winning the match with 9 stars and it's ALL thanks to smart use of lucky items I got from getting good rolls and landing on the Shy Guy Shops.

tl;dr Minigame Match could have been so much better without the BS minigame roulette free coins system but it still retains many of Balloon Bash's flaws that make me dislike the mode.

I really want an interviewer to ask Nintendo/NdCube why Mario Party is a yearly series. Heck, ask Hudson why they did it when they did the series.

Damn Xenos.

I'm pretty sure it's a yearly series mostly because it makes a lot of money.

Tbh, as much as I adore the Mario Party franchise, I think once per year is too much. When you grind out Mario Party games in that game, you get them devoid of content like in pretty much all Mario Party games past Island Tour.

In terms of content, the GameCube ones, Advance, and DS all have it pretty good, even if some, especially 4, was a grind-fest.

Pretty sure they have been pumping out yearly MPs since like, the series started.

I also think some Mario Partys could have been condensed as well when they were pumping out yearly games. Mario Party 5, 6, and 7 could have been just one game instead.

7 probably could pass for an expansion pack of 6 as-is. They even reused Snowflake Lake for Pyramid Park.
8 and DS also reused board gimmicks to a degree, but at least they had their own item systems (and theme in DS' case).

And Mario Party: The Top 100 could have been so much more. I found it depressingly devoid of content, despite good concepts.....

That pretty much describes both of my favorite series, Mario Sports and Mario Party these days. Just no content despite having either good ideas or a good gameplay base. Content is why Mario Sports Superstars couldn't live up to its previous installments. Content is why Ultra Smash floundered. Content is why I passed by Star Rush and The Top 100 quickly.

I'm honestly sick of it.

It makes you really wonder what's going on. Mario Party is kinda a mess right now, but it seems weird that the sports games are so barebones.
Doesn't Sports Superstars reuse engines from Tennis Open and World Tour?

The sports games have been pretty much suffering through constrained development times and Nintendo just not giving a crap about them any more. I still remember the days of the GCN era where we would ask, what Mario Sport is coming next, since that was the beginnings of Mario Baseball, Mario Strikers, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix, and Mario guest appearances in some of the EA sports games.

Sports Superstars definitely reused engines from Tennis Open and World Tour, though the tennis game in Sports Superstars definitely felt different to control and play compared to Open, and not because Jump Shots were introduced. It felt like a hybrid of Ultra Smash and Tennis Open instead.

Mcmadness said:
Pretty sure they have been pumping out yearly MPs since like, the series started.

You're right about the first seven in the numbered series. Throughout 1999-2005 there was a new Mario Party for every year. I wouldn't doubt Advance or DS coming out in the same year as a console Mario Party did.

It did take 2 years at least for between 7 and 8. Though that's still a pretty small development time I imagine. Plus I'm sure Nintendo was focused on getting the Wii launched and then go all set for a new Mario Party

And of course there was a pretty sizable hiatus between Mario Party 8 and 9. MP8 was 2007, we didn't get a 9 until 2012. That's about 5 years. I certainly remember that since I believe there was a pretty big thread on this forum somewhere asking if a Mario Party 9 is ever going to happen.

Too bad it became a be careful what you wish for moment though. Given how different 9 turned out to be.

Northern Verve said:
Mcmadness said:

You're right about the first seven in the numbered series. Throughout 1999-2005 there was a new Mario Party for every year. I wouldn't doubt Advance or DS coming out in the same year as a console Mario Party did.

It did take 2 years at least for between 7 and 8. Though that's still a pretty small development time I imagine. Plus I'm sure Nintendo was focused on getting the Wii launched and then go all set for a new Mario Party

And of course there was a pretty sizable hiatus between Mario Party 8 and 9. MP8 was 2007, we didn't get a 9 until 2012. That's about 5 years. I certainly remember that since I believe there was a pretty big thread on this forum somewhere asking if a Mario Party 9 is ever going to happen.

Too bad it became a be careful what you wish for moment though. Given how different 9 turned out to be.

From what I played, 9 was a sizable improvement over 8. The series felt like it actually got a good budget and the feeling of the game was much more Mario-like. It had some excellent minigames too.

memoryman3 said:
From what I played, 9 was a sizable improvement over 8. The series felt like it actually got a good budget and the feeling of the game was much more Mario-like. It had some excellent minigames too.

9 had better minigames then 8. But besides that and the more colorful graphics and maybe the soundtrack (I haven't ever listened to Mario Party soundtracks to compare though). That's about all I'd say. 8 at least still kept some of the core values people liked about the traditional Mario Party gameplay. Minigames after every turn, strategies from moving your own way on the board and use of items, etc.

8 still felt like a full virtual board game. 9 (And 10 for that matter) felt like you were just there for the ride.

Not that it matters.

It's all bad.

They say one person's trash is another's treasure.

Northern Verve said:
Oh just let people have their fun :P
Don't mind him, he says this again and again. Like Bowser, his attack patterns are easy to predict.

Back