Mama Luigi reanimated

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
So year ago, a bunch (read: a lot) of people got together to reanimate Mama Luigi. While this is fan content, I feel it's worthy of a thread in this section because it's amazing.

I watched this on newgrounds yesterday and shared a link in the chat, I agree this is really good

There are animations here that I like and some that I dislike, but overall, a really well done project (that Super Mario Bros. movie-like animation was pretty cool). Reminds me of the Super Smash Bros. Melee project put together some time ago.

Welp, not even good animation can save that shows terrible writing.

Still, I liked it.

ah, same basic concept as jontron's firework music video

i love the conflicting art styles, you never know what's coming next, and most of the time they're hilarious to see first hand

good stuff

Some animations were better than others. The thumbnail wasn't too appealing, but there were times where I liked the depiction of the characters like at 2:23 or 1:27 but other times, I just think "eeehhhh".

My favorite segment in the animation is when Luigi falls on Mario's head, and Mario goes up his butt, then comes out his mouth all deformed.

One of the aspects I admired about the Mario cartoons is how they actually retained the number of fingers for the characters. With the exception of the odd animation errors, Mario, Luigi and Princess (as Peach is called in the cartoons) tend to have 5 fingers, while Yoshi and King Koopa (as Bowser is called in the cartoons) correctly have 4 fingers. Even the humans (as in, non-Toads and non-cavepeople of SMW) tend to have 5 fingers, which I thought was amazing. I wonder if most of the animators realise this since many of them gave the aforementioned 5-fingered characters 4 fingers.

As for my favourite parts of this collaboration, based on the chronological order:
- Cave-Daisy swinging Luigi to safety
- Mario riding on Yoshi
- Mario getting cape-feather (he looks like a classic-animated character)
- Mario flying and then punching King Koopa off the hill, and rescuing the Princess
- Mario landing Princess to safety and Yoshi giving him a "10" (although I am not a fan of Ren and Stimpy, the style looks great)
- Mario, Luigi and Princess walking to Dinosaur Island in pixel animation
- Luigi telling Yoshi about "Koopa football players" kidnapping Princess
- Mario running straight into a "Magnum Bill" (liked his hat covering his eyes)
- Luigi shrieking as he is about to fall through the fissure
- Garfield Yoshi (the part where Yoshi hatched from his egg)
- Yoshi scratching away Luigi's leg while calling him "Mama"
- Luigi in his "SMB Japanese animated film" outfit (the yellow-and-blue iteration)
- LucasArts point-and-click style of Luigi waving the dolphins goodbye
- Luigi's eyes popping up to shout at Yoshi
- Luigi yelling at Mario for help (the screenshot above is one part of the story)
- Luigi's hand extends to shut Yoshi up, while still having the hand being extended
- Yoshi swallowing his first Wiggler (called "caterpillar", but I can forgive since it's not like the characters know the actual name of the species immediately)
- The third Wiggler's head is swallowed, leaving the entire body behind
- Mario coming for Luigi (Mario Maker reference!)
- Mario attempting to "fix up" Yoshi
- Mario knowing how meatball feels like
- Mario shaking of the slobber
- Luigi warning Mario not to mess with Yoshi
- Mario finding out that Luigi is called "Mama Luigi" and laughing
- Koopa Tower being similar to the SMB Movie
- Mario telling Luigi where the light switch is (loved the puppet style)
- Mario and Luigi climbing the fence
- Yoshi spitting out the Chargin' Chucks
- Mario and Luigi on ice-cream sticks
- Mario and Luig charging into the throne room, and then leaving it
- Yoshi the chameleon
- Mario and Luigi looking for Yoshi
- King Koopa looking like Goofy
- King Koopa being distressed about his throne room being eaten (because it looks like King Koopa, but it devolves into different looks)
- Yoshi preparing to eat the Mechakoopas
- Whiteboard art of Yoshi eating Mechakoopas
- Luigi correcting Mario about being called "Mama Luigi" (including the wheeze!)
- King Koopa with a tiny head (he looks like Bowser in this scene)
- The keyhole transitioning to the village
- The final scene where Luigi and Yoshi looks like the official Super Mario artwork, where Luigi is shrugging from Yoshi calling him "Mama Luigi" while Yoshi is sleeping

Thank you for reading.

I dunno, these two scenes were by far the highlight

qLytlYe.png

UlvDRPA.png

I couldn't breathe at all during them. Fantastic animation collab altogether.

Back