Things that you want to see in New Super Mario Bros. Switch

Oh, yeah don't forget the raft, where you can't see where the enemies will fall from.

World 5 would be mountain-themed, but portions of that world would take place at a Japanese-like mountain village. The village would feature Sumo Bros. and even Zeus Guys.

Roy Koopa would also be fought differently in that his Bill Blaster would block all jump attacks (much like with how Bazuka's bazooka blocks all jump attacks), requiring Mario to throw Bob-ombs at the Bill Blaster. That will cause the Bill Blaster to malfunction, leaving Roy vulnerable to a jump attack.

Mister Apple presents: improving level themes!
Park instead of Grasslands. It would be so simple; just like your average grass level, but with benches, fountains, flowers et cetera.
Underground mining operation. Mining equipment as platforms, possibly a section where you control a drill going downwards, all that cool mining-related stuff.
Seaside actually look like a seaside. Like the park, you'd just add deck chairs, umbrellas, and an ice cream stand. (This is important. There must be an ice cream stand.)
Undewater coral reef! Instead of a boring ocean, add some cool underwater flora and fauna, and you have a non-boring underwater stage. Maybe.

I might think of more later. This post is really poorly written, but whatever.

If the Koopalings are in it again, have them not all the same thing with minor changes.

Taking another page out of Kirby's book, what if power-ups could have multiple different moves similar to how copy abilities have pages of different ways that you can use them. Say for example if Mario has a fire flower and if you hold
16px-Def_B.svg.png
while standing still for a few seconds, Mario can charge up a bigger fireball and launch it across the screen without it bouncing. Or if you press
16px-Def_B.svg.png
while crouching, Mario can do a flaming powerslide across the ground. Or if you press
16px-Def_B.svg.png
while holding up, Mario does a burning uppercut.

Marie the best squid said:
Taking another page out of Kirby's book, what if power-ups could have multiple different moves similar to how copy abilities have pages of different ways that you can use them. Say for example if Mario has a fire flower and if you hold
16px-Def_B.svg.png
while standing still for a few seconds, Mario can charge up a bigger fireball and launch it across the screen without it bouncing. Or if you press
16px-Def_B.svg.png
while crouching, Mario can do a flaming powerslide across the ground. Or if you press
16px-Def_B.svg.png
We could have the Powerup Crash, where it'll be similar to the Item Crash in the Castlevania games from Rondo of Blood onwards. It'll be a pretty cool idea.

I also want it to not be too easy, and for Toadette to be playable instead of the Yellow Toad from the console NSMBs.

Julia-BM said:
I also want it to not be too easy, and for Toadette to be playable instead of the Yellow Toad from the console NSMBs.
Yeah, that too.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
16px-Def_B.svg.png
16px-Def_B.svg.png
16px-Def_B.svg.png
We could have the Powerup Crash, where it'll be similar to the Item Crash in the Castlevania games from Rondo of Blood onwards. It'll be a pretty cool idea.

Yeah I already seen where you mentioned that. That would be cool.

16px-Def_B.svg.png
16px-Def_B.svg.png
16px-Def_B.svg.png

Honestly I'd rather they not do that.

Yeah, I think it would make a gripping story to see Yoshi and his species die.

Well Baby Bowser did seemingly kill most of them in Yoshi story.

Though that could just me miss-interpreting the opening.

I'd like a 2D game with a health system like the 3D games and give Mario more abilities that aren't tied to power-ups that go away with one hit. And, I don't want every power-up to carry over level to level. As much as it's cool to have an inventory and choose any power-up to start a level with, I feel like it takes a toll on the level design, for example flight power-ups would completely break some levels so they either have to limit the design of every level that's not meant to be played with flight, or just let us cheese the hell out of them. I'd like to play 2D levels that are designed around certain abilities and only those abilities, allows for sections that require a certain power-up meaning they can get more creative with how it's used. Have the power-ups not tied to your health either, but have certain hazards that take them away and require you to retrieve it again and do the section over. I just always preferred this system in games like Galaxy. Who says a 2D game can't have it?

There is a game for that. It's called Donkey Kong Country.

Mcmadness said:
There is a game for that. It's called Donkey Kong Country.

That doesn't mean that a Super Mario platform title can't take a page from Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Thus making one series completely superfluous.

Just let each one stick to what they do best.

I want them to take a page from Rayman tbh

we're overdue for another 2D Rayman

Mister Apple said:
How so? They'd still be very different.

A bigger emphasis on Mario's abilities instead of power-ups and the ones that do show-up are level specific. Sounds a lot like how DKC uses it's animal buddies to me and the later DKC games have health instead of power-ups.

But Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze put almost no emphasis on animal buddies.

No, instead there is an emphasis on the character's natural abilities, which if you take away Mario's power-ups, thats basically all he's got and what he's got isn't all that different.

2D Mario's gameplay is perfectly fine, it just needs to stop being so damn derivative with it's levels concepts.

Mcmadness said:
2D Mario's gameplay is perfectly fine, it just needs to stop being so dang derivative with it's levels concepts.

That's not exactly easy to do though.

Back