Things that you want to see in New Super Mario Bros. Switch

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
This thread is about things that you'd want to see in New Super Mario Bros. Switch.

Here is what I'd like to see:

- I'd like to see Peach be playable. I don't want any more kidnappings of her. I want to see another princess get kidnapped or have the Sprixies be kidnapped again. Peach was playable in Super Mario Run and it was an achievement since they couldn't do it in NSMB Wii due to several problems. It would be nice for her to be playable in NSMB Switch as Super Mario Run has proved it with stronger hardware than the Wii and GameCube (although they could have done it in NSMBU which is on Wii U and is more powerful than the Wii or GCN) which makes it easier to animate than the problems they had with NSMBWii due to complexity of animation in the GameCube and Wii hardware and whatnot. If they were to make Peach playable in NSMB Wii, they would've had to make sacrifices like what Konami did to Maria Renard in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles on PSP (aka the PSP remake of Akumajo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo/Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for the TurboGrafx CD/PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 System). They would've had to give her another outfit and have her hair in a ponytail and get rid of her floating capability and replace it with something else if they wanted her to be playable in NSMBWii which they didn't. The PSP is about closer to PS2 in terms of graphics so it is a good example of what Nintendo was going through when trying to make Peach playable in NSMBWii which in the end they ended up scrapping the idea and since the Wii is really nothing more than just a beefed up GameCube in terms of hardware so that makes it a fair example.

- Along with Peach being playable in NSMB Switch, I'd want to see customizable outfits for Peach (similar to Roll in Mega Man Powered Up for the PSP) and the ability to change Peach's hairstyle with various choices. They can be unlockable or free DLC.

- More interesting themes. I want to see more variety in the level design. I want to see something a little different than in past NSMB games.

How about an original game with fleshed out ideas that rejuvinates the 2D Mario games. You know, like SMB2 did to SMB1, and SMB3 did to SMB2, and SMW did to SMB3. Let's have something original and not another cash-grab rehash NSMB game.

I want New Super Mario Bros. Switch to have the creativity of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Meta Knight said:
How about an original game with fleshed out ideas that rejuvinates the 2D Mario games. You know, like SMB2 did to SMB1, and SMB3 did to SMB2, and SMW did to SMB3. Let's have something original and not another cash-grab rehash NSMB game.
My idea is for NSMB Switch to be different than past NSMB games.

Pwwnd123 said:
Meta Knight said:
Literally impossible.

DragonFreak said:
Pwwnd123 said:
Meta Knight said:
Literally impossible.
It's different in that Peach is playable and not kidnapped.

Pwwnd123 said:
DragonFreak said:
Pwwnd123 said:
Meta Knight said:
Literally impossible.
Like Super Mario Bros 2 or Super Mario 3D World?

Time Turner said:
Pwwnd123 said:
DragonFreak said:
Pwwnd123 said:
Meta Knight said:
Literally impossible.
Yes and in even in her own game Super Princess Peach.

It's a disappointment that NSMB2. and NSMBU didn't have Peach be playable. It would've made it stand out.

Pwwnd123 said:
Time Turner said:
Pwwnd123 said:
DragonFreak said:
Pwwnd123 said:
Meta Knight said:
Literally impossible.
So it's not different.

Time Turner said:
Pwwnd123 said:
Time Turner said:
Pwwnd123 said:
DragonFreak said:
Pwwnd123 said:
Meta Knight said:
Literally impossible.
So it's not different.
But hey, atleast it makes it stand out more than the other NSMB games. The last two NSMB games were just the plain generic Peach is kidnapped/captured again with little to stand out.

To be fair, the first NSMB was pretty original.

What I want in the next 2D Mario:

-Peach & Toad playable
-5th unlockable character
-Each character has their unique stats
-new kingdom
-new Princess to save
-Double Cherry and Boomerang Flower
-Koopalings are only the tower bosses (Jr is 8th tower)
-Castle bosses are new/returning like in NSMB1
-Original soundtrack (no more NSMB remixes)
-No Daisy

It'd also want Rosalina as well.

GmanSir said:
To be fair, the first NSMB was pretty original.

What I want in the next 2D Mario:

-Peach & Toad playable
-5th unlockable character
-Each character has their unique stats
-new kingdom
-new Princess to save
-Double Cherry and Boomerang Flower
-Koopalings are only the tower bosses (Jr is 8th tower)
-Castle bosses are new/returning like in NSMB1
-Original soundtrack (no more NSMB remixes)
-No Daisy

Go away :(

(((((((Yeah, because a NSMB game without Daisy is not a true game.)))))))

I think the last two NSMB games weren't that strong or groundbreaking like NSMB DS and NSMB Wii were. They were weak and pathetic and less original. They didn't have the same charm as the first two NSMB games. Peach being kidnapped in the plain generic way or being a prisoner in her own castle is nothing new or original. NSMB Switch could make Peach be playable like how she did in Super Mario Run after beating the game and rescuing her. But the plot should be different like having Bowser kidnap another princess like in Super Mario 3D World. That'll be fresh. We could even have Rosalina, Daisy and even Pauline in the game.

If we see both NSMB Switch and Super Mario Maker for Switch than that'd be even more awesome.

Ooh, I'm glad I saw this.
-Varied level themes. Grassland, desert, ice et cetera have grown stale. There are so many cool themes that could be added. Train, space, factory, city, the list goes on. Look at Sonic Mania, which had a TV studio and a printing press forest. Why not something like that?
-Personality in levels. 2D Mario has never really had NPCs in the middle of its levels, but why not? 3D Mario manages it. And what about enemies doing goofy things or having fun animations? What about bosses having funny dialogue before you fight them? I feel like the NSMB games lack charm sometimes.
-Story. I'm not asking for a sweeping epic (an odyssey, you could say). Hey, even just 'Bowser has taken the things and you need to collect them' would be fine, but the story needs to actually be meaningful. If the final battle feels climactic (the whole world depends on it), then it's worth it. Also, why not make the story matter in levels. What if you come to a village level, only to find that Bowser has razed it to the ground and you need to venture throught the ruined town? Which brings me on to...
-Mini-stories in each level. Instead of just 'go right', why not have some kind of reason for Mario to go right? What if he's searching for a lost baby toad? Even if the level was just left to right, that one motivation would make it so much better. And even if the level is just left to right, having NPCs would still add some story to it. Think of Sea Slide Galaxy, where the Silver Star mission is basically just a regular one, except all these characters you've befriended are helping. Also, with characters, why not have character development. It could be as simple as having a toad who's scared of ghosts returning in a later ghost level, having overcome his fear.
-Lots of playable characters. Even if they all play identically (it'd be better, though, if they didn't), it would add something to the game. I think Peach should definitely be among these and not be kidnapped, because there really should be more female playable characters.
-Getting rid of pointless series staples. Lives, score, all these things really serve no purpose in this day and age. I also think they should replace the flagpole with some kind of collectable (like power stars), to allow more creative gameplay. Speaking of that...
-Varied gameplay. Every now and then, there should be a level that has a different gameplay gimmick. It doesn't matter what. Collectathons, shmup-style levels, just something different than run right. Not too often, of course, but occasionally it would be nice.

Laconic version: Varied level themes, personality in levels (NPCs), story (not necessarily dramatic, but meaningful), mini-stories (in each level), playable characters, no pointless series staples (lives, score, flagpole), varied gameplay (occasionally).

Even more laconic version: Basically 2D Galaxy.

Ditch the themed worlds that have been carried around since 3.

Certain enemies and hazards need more attention, as the past New Super Mario Bros. installments have been known to give the middle finger to a lot of them. Longer castle courses would be good too, since I have found that a good portion of castle courses are too short.

I think the Mario series can continue doing without stories.

I think the Mario series can continue doing without stories.
I think that it would improve levels greatly if they had mini-stories to them that added personality to what might otherwise be a generic left-to-right level.

The plain generic montonous Bowser/Koopalings/Bowser. Jr kidnaps Peach plot should be gone and have another princess being kidnapped like in 3D World should be the style. It adds variety.

Back