Top Ten Super Mario Odyssey Music - Countdowns discussion thread

What would you most like to see me write? (See current thread update for details)

• More Countdowns

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • A section analyzing music from various Nintendo games (sort of like Mario's Boombox but with officia

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • A game review section (possibly Marioverse Reviews but I might want to be open to non-Mario games)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Top 10 Worst Mario Kart Characters - Countdowns discussion thread

I love that you put Wario in as a co-commentator, and the bit with Pink Gold Peach at the end was awesome.

I quite like Metal Mario, actually. I love the form in Super Mario 64, so I tend to play as him a lot. Honey Queen should have been near the top, imo.

Alex95 said:
I love that you put Wario in as a co-commentator, and the bit with Pink Gold Peach at the end was awesome.

I quite like Metal Mario, actually. I love the form in Super Mario 64, so I tend to play as him a lot. Honey Queen should have been near the top, imo.
Thanks! It was fun to write Wario's antics.

Well, I like to play as Tanooki Mario, but I still don't think he really deserves a spot in Mario Kart. Metal Mario has the most excuses out of the clones besides Dry Bowser. As far as Honey Queen goes, even as obscure as she is and how much I dislike her, she still is her own original character, albeit a boring one.

Birdo is the worst Mario Kart racer :birdo:
Rosalina is the best :rosalina:

They also need the old toad guy as a racer.

Toadsworth shan't be forgotten.

Oh hey everyone, this thread's back in Marioverse, isn't it? Why? To raise publicity! No one ever posts in Fan Creations...

Anyway, a new issue of the Shroom has been released with a new Countdown in tow! It's My Top 10 Wii U Games! Now for the Bonus Content! ...Which really isn't much since I literally just came up with it. But here it is anyway!

EXmtogc.png

So, yeah. What are your opinions on this Countdown? What's your Top 10 Best Wii U games? Feel free to say them here!

Re: My Top 10 Wii U Games - Countdowns discussion thread

I agree with a majority of your list, though I would've put Smash above Zelda, as I have more fun with that game still. I'd also rank Xenoblade Chronicles X somewhere, maybe #5.

I should recommend you Rayman Legends, amazing platformer.

Yeah, I actually already have Rayman Legends, but I've never played it for certain reasons.

New Countdown is out with Issue 125 of the Shroom. It's the Top 5 Worst Nintendo Mistakes and the Top 5 Nintendo Successes. So, I really don't have any Bonus Content. The first Countdown had bonus content mainly because I had written more content than could fit in the section, so I put the rest here. Therefore, I might not have bonus content for every Countdown anymore, but if I get a good idea for one, I'll do it.
Also, kudos to Alex95 for helping me think of number 5 on the mistakes list!
So, what do y'all think were some big mistakes or successes of Nintendo?

Re: Top 5 Worst Nintendo Mistakes and Top 5 Successes - Countdowns discussion thread

God, I can probably make a big list of Nintendo mistakes.... amiibo handling, mini NES, takedown of fangames, Youtube Let's Play, Nintendo Creator program, Miiverse (especially the censor list), word censoring, Nintendo turning down a Mario Archie comic offer, Wii update 4.2 that attempted to patch Homebrew but ended up bricking unmodded consoles, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash in general, Paper Mario Sticker Star in general, Federation Force, ignoring Metroid's anniversary, E3 2008 (I think it's that one), Virtual Boy, Wii U, allowing Hotel Mario to exist, allowing the Super Mario Bros. movie to exist, how the Pokemon brand is used in general, Super Mario Run, and so on.

[quote author=Luigi 64DD in this Shroom edition]
1. Hiring Shigeru Miyamoto
[/quote]

Good thing you said hiring, because Shigeru Miyamoto was the one who ruined the Paper Mario series after Super Paper Mario. But, on the other hand, it is worst than what Shigeru Miyamoto did to it.
Stickers/Battle Cards of Color Splash. Battle Cards were fine in Paper Jam because they added new gameplay without them being required save for the first tutorial. Even then it was fine as it was explaining it.

Good point on the worst decision. It makes me wonder if Sega would still be here without the Sony split. Microsoft may not have changed its decision, though. But, they would be more of a rival to Nintendo if Sony wasn't there.

Jet Set Red Yoshi said:
Good thing you said hiring, because Shigeru Miyamoto was the one who ruined the Paper Mario series after Super Paper Mario.

First of all, big deal. Compared to creating a video game icon and recognizable characters, ruining a small minor subseries is hardly something that brings down his overall legacy.

Second, Miyamoto just by himself was not responsible for how the Paper Mario series became crap. It was a collective effort.

Re: Top 5 Worst Nintendo Mistakes and Top 5 Successes - Countdowns discussion thread

LeftyGreenMario said:
God, I can probably make a big list of Nintendo mistakes.... amiibo handling, mini NES, takedown of fangames, Youtube Let's Play, Nintendo Creator program, Miiverse (especially the censor list), word censoring, Nintendo turning down a Mario Archie comic offer, Wii update 4.2 that attempted to patch Homebrew but ended up bricking unmodded consoles, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash in general, Paper Mario Sticker Star in general, Federation Force, ignoring Metroid's anniversary, E3 2008 (I think it's that one), Virtual Boy, Wii U, allowing Hotel Mario to exist, allowing the Super Mario Bros. movie to exist, how the Pokemon brand is used in general, Super Mario Run, and so on.
Well, in the Countdown, I mainly talk about decisions that directly hurt Nintendo as far as sales and overall success goes, so stuff like taking fan games isn't on it. Of course, it's fine to mention that sort of thing here. What was wrong with E3 2008? Was that the one with Wii Music?

Jet Set Red Yoshi said:
[quote author=Luigi 64DD in this Shroom edition]
1. Hiring Shigeru Miyamoto

Good thing you said hiring, because Shigeru Miyamoto was the one who ruined the Paper Mario series after Super Paper Mario. But, on the other hand, it is worst than what Shigeru Miyamoto did to it.
Stickers/Battle Cards of Color Splash. Battle Cards were fine in Paper Jam because they added new gameplay without them being required save for the first tutorial. Even then it was fine as it was explaining it.
[/quote]
You do realize Paper Mario, the entire Mario franchise, and this forum wouldn't exist if it weren't for Miyamoto, right? I don't really see how it would be different if I had left out the word "hiring" (although that wouldn't make sense because that makes it sound like Nintendo decided to make Miyamoto exist). Even if he did ruin Paper Mario (which he may or may not have), that's a tiny bad drop in the vast ocean of goodness he has caused. Also, Sticker Star didn't hurt Nintendo in any way other than making lots of fans mad. It sold more than PM and PM:TTYD, after all (although not if you combine them).

Miyamoto is human. He's bound to make mistakes and to drag him down because of some bad decisions in spite of all of his good ones is irrational.

He's a man, not a god.

Luigi 64DD said:
Well, in the Countdown, I mainly talk about decisions that directly hurt Nintendo as far as sales and overall success goes, so stuff like taking fan games isn't on it. Of course, it's fine to mention that sort of thing here. What was wrong with E3 2008? Was that the one with Wii Music?
Yeah, the Wii Music one.

I still think you should take fan PR into account, as Nintendo has a pretty bad track record with it. Maybe I watch too much Jim Sterling, but Nintendo acts like incompetent fools and there is even an verb made up for them: to "Nintendo" something would be to do something incredibly stupid, it's mystifying, and it's unique to Nintendo. Like that Smartphone app thing. Or how they canceled production for the Mini NES. Or how Virtual Console has a dismal library.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I still think you should take fan PR into account, as Nintendo has a pretty bad track record with it. Maybe I watch too much Jim Sterling, but Nintendo acts like incompetent fools and there is even an verb made up for them: to "Nintendo" something would be to do something incredibly stupid, it's mystifying, and it's unique to Nintendo. Like that Smartphone app thing. Or how they canceled production for the Mini NES. Or how Virtual Console has a dismal library.
Hey, maybe I could do a separate Countdown of Nintendo's Worst PR Mistakes! Canceling the Mini NES is a actually part of number five on the mistakes list. Speaking of Virtual Console, I think Nintendo should put NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube games on the Switch right at the start of Virtual Console. They have no reason to delay any like they did with the Wii U, plus putting on Gamecube right away would help them come in with a bang. Then they could add Game Boy, GBC, and GBA not too long later, and eventually Wii, if that's possible with the joy-cons which I think it might be.

Re: Countdowns discussion thread - Section still on hiatus, sorry

Well, this month comes with no Countdown yet again. It's been hard for me to write the section since school has started, so sorry, everyone. I'll try harder to have a Countdown this next month, so please look forward to that.

Re: Ten Retro Courses I want in the Next Mario Kart - Countdowns discussion thre

Hey, everyone! Countdowns is finally back with a new section! The new Countdown is Ten Retro Courses I Want In The Next Mario Kart Game. In this countdown I list ten courses in no particular order (other than game release date) that I want to see remade in the next Mario Kart game. If you haven't read it yet, go on over and give it a read! If you have read it, you can share what courses you want to see in the next Mario Kart game. In fact, that's what this thread is for, so have fun!

I have one more thing to talk about. I'm thinking of expanding my writing horizons, and I want to know what you'd like to see me write. Therefore, I'm putting a poll asking which section you want to see the most. Here are the options:
  • More Countdowns
  • A section analyzing music from various Nintendo games (sort of like Mario's Boombox but with official music)
  • A game review section (possibly Marioverse Reviews but I might want to be open to non-Mario games)
Keep in mind that I am likely to write only one section in any given month, which means I might end up writing two sections bi-monthly, alternating between the two sections each month. Also, if I write Marioverse Reviews, I will not start until PowerKamek is done writing the section (which means my hypothetical first issue of it would be in January). So, have fun discussing retro tracks and don't forget to vote in the poll!

Re: Ten Retro Courses I want in the Next Mario Kart - Countdowns discussion thread

I'd love to see how GCN Wario Colosseum and Rainbow Road get remade. Rainbow Road will likely be in the one after the next Mario Kart, but Wario Colosseum was large and epic and needs to return.

Re: Ten Retro Courses I want in the Next Mario Kart - Countdowns discussion thread

They should also remove the course-breaking glitch and have Lakitu pick you up on the big jump to avoid the cruelty of having to redo part of the track.
I disagree. Keeping that in would be hilarious, especially seeing people get mad over their friends "cheating".

It's not really a glitch tbh, it's just a developer oversight, which Mario Kart 64 is filled with.

In the custom Mario Kart Wii version, they did the right thing and have Lakitu pick you up.

Magikrazy said:
They should also remove the course-breaking glitch and have Lakitu pick you up on the big jump to avoid the cruelty of having to redo part of the track.
I disagree. Keeping that in would be hilarious, especially seeing people get mad over their friends "cheating".
It would be hilarious... but I don't think they should have a basically broken course in Mario Kart intentionally. That would be ridiculous. Whether they should or not is kind of a moot point because I can say without a doubt that they'll remove it. This is Nintendo after all.

To prove this point, every course that has a lower drop since Mario Kart: Double Dash always has Lakitu pick you up should you fall down, from Mushroom City and Waluigi Stadium. It's the right thing to do, because falling down that gap is nearly unrecoverable otherwise.

I think Magikrazy was talking about the glitch that lets you skip a huge portion of the track. It may not have been clear from my wording in the section, but I meant the course-breaking glitch and the big jump as separate things.
In any case, keeping the glitch in would be broken and keeping Lakitu not picking you up from the big jump would be unfair, especially when they changed a jump like that from GBA Cheese Land to have Lakitu pick you up.

Back