Next Mario & Sonic Olympic for Nintendo Switch

Northern Verve said:
Pwwnd123 said:
To be honest, the Mario and Sonic games started to go downhill after the 2012 London Olympic games. They haven't sold that well.

While it's certainly true to look that the series hasn't really reached past the peak of London. I do agree neither Sochi 2014's or Rio 2016's were as good as Vancouver 2010's or London 2012's.

But in terms of sales that could be because they were released on Wii U which the console itself didn't sell well. The first 3 games in the series were on the Wii, one of the best selling consoles in history. So even if they weren't that good (The first game is probably the worst in the series, more reliant on motion control then any of the other games in the series.), it sold well purely for the novelty of it being the first game Mario and Sonic were featured together (When the game was announced we didn't even know if Sonic was going to be in Brawl yet so it is indeed the very first official game where we knew Mario and Sonic were together in the same game. Heck I think we may have just passed not too long ago the 10 year anniversery of the announcement of the first game. I remember people thought it was an early April Fools joke played by Nintendo and Sega way back when).

Surely some of the novelty has dropped since then, but if the Switch is a success I could easily see the Mario & Sonic games still getting some good sales. Both Mario and Sonic are still cash cows.
I see.

The Mario and Sonic games do have to become better to sell well. But yeah sales wise the Switch could make a difference.

To sell better, they simply need to put more effort in their games. Look I enjoy Mario Sports games and this series could have easily won me over if they had some fixes to their long running problems.

Now, to be completely fair, I think that the Rio Wii U game had some effort in it, in that by looking at video of the past Olympics games (the summer ones) I could notice how the events featured were quite often the best version of each, with Table Tennis now playing more like Mario Tennis games (free movements, 4 types of shots with the smash being so slow to charge that it can be charged only when the opponent has screwed up resulting in a slow shot, etc.), 100m Freestyle now requiring timing and strategy (going too fast results in the stamina qucikly depleted, going at the right pace results in more stamina and the ability of unleashing the special move without depleting the stamina, but in a speed which is often too slow), Football now looking more fluid and with the addition of strategies, that increase speed in certain conditions, and so on. Furthermore, no motion controls at all, only classic controls.

And the idea of Copacabana Beach (the main menu being "secondary", with everything connected by a common place where you freely go around and find the participant in the tournaments, as well as people that give you hints or info on the event currently undergoing and people that let you access the various modes) is nice. Not to say, in how many games I could freely go around as Larry, Wendy and Bowser Jr.?

Much more development of this would be needed, for sure, with a story mode and dream events being a priority, but quite honestly, I cannot expect this being reserved for the Winter Olympics, even though one of the Mii's dialogues about Wendy (I think the one the OP was trying to cite) teases that in June they were already working at least on the planning of this next game.
In my opinion the 2020 game is too important for this game to receive more care than the Wii U version of Rio.

I'll just wait for Wendy skating (possibly figure skating); Dream Figure Skating is currently, well, a dream; everything else cannot even be expected.

In case, just let me buy it when I get a Switch. I definitely enjoyed the Wii U version of Rio, so unless they manage to do much worse than that, I should be able to bear this new game.

You want her to be both Mario and Sonic? That's a bit of a tall order, don't you think?

I don't know, if anything, Toad would get in first after being relegated to only one event in the Wii U Rio games. And I don't see her stats being any different from Toad's, tbh.

PeanutButterGamer said:
And I don't see [Toadette's] stats being any different from Toad's, tbh.
They're different in Mario Super Sluggers and Mario Kart Wii.

Baby Mario is a Speed Type, Baby Peach is a Technique Type, Dixie Kong is a Balance Type and Toadette is a Technique Type

I wonder, Wendy is Skating

PeanutButterGamer said:
You want her to be both Mario and Sonic? That's a bit of a tall order, don't you think?

But don't you wan't to play New Super Toadette Bros. or Toadette the Toad CD?

If she did become a playable character in the next Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games, than she would be the Luigi of Toad, having slightly different stats.

MarioRedux56 said:
Baby Mario is a Speed Type, Baby Peach is a Technique Type, Dixie Kong is a Balance Type and Toadette is a Technique Type
Personally, I would probably make Baby Mario a Balance Type, and make Dixie Kong a Speed Type

MarioRedux56 said:
I wonder, Wendy is Skating

Okay, I was joking with you earlier, but please try to use proper grammar in your sentences. I'd understand if English isn't your first language, but it's difficult for us to understand what you're trying to say.

J-Yoshi64 said:
PeanutButterGamer said:
And I don't see [Toadette's] stats being any different from Toad's, tbh.
They're different in Mario Super Sluggers and Mario Kart Wii.

Oh. Well, then she'd probably has stats based on those, then.

i don't want any Koopalings.

I honestly think they are the ultimate roster filler.

To make this game have me excited , stop reusing Rosalina's horrible MK8 voice and allow all the characters play all the events.

There you go , game of the year.

MarioRedux56 said:
I Wonder if Wendy is doing a Skating
no but this doggo sure are :doge: :doge: :doge:
live-breaking-news-dang-heckin-doggo-do-a-zoom-he-6204849.png

As for what I suggested earlier, although I do still like the idea of two extra teams consisting of other Nintendo and Sega characters, I'm having trouble actually coming up with what categories each character would fit in, as well as the possibility of having to exclude notable characters in favor of ancillary ones just so the roster's stat groups are equal. Anyone have any suggestions for this hypothetical team?

Lilligant said:
MarioRedux56 said:
Personally, I would probably make Baby Mario a Balance Type, and make Dixie Kong a Speed Type

Baby Mario had always been a speed type in the games he's playable in. I think it would make more sense if Dixie was the one who is a balance type instead.

Also, replace Baby Peach with Baby Luigi, Baby Luigi is a better character than Baby Peach and he fits technique too, considering he's a technique character in the tennis mode of Mario Sports Superstars.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. I was just basing it upon it being Baby Mario and Mario is always Balance :P

Well if you checked his stats, he's always speedy. Mario Tennis 64, Mario Tennis GBC, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Tennis Open, and Mario Sports Superstars (in all sports where applicable) all had him as a speed type character.

Swiftie_Luma said:
i don't want any Koopalings.

I honestly think they are the ultimate roster filler.
While I can definitely see how Wendy does not appeal to you at all (she's pretty much the opposite of rosalina in many ways), I'm surprised to read this. I mean, they skipped all the Mario Party games and all the Mario-only sports games, I don't find them frequently filling rosters. Apart from Lemmy, Morton and Iggy that even skipped the Mario & Sonic games, Larry wasn't in Mario Sports Superstars even though he has been shown playing tennis and riding horses, that would have made his presence in that game legitimate and not filler-like. And in the case of Mario Kart 8, the director said about them:
To make this game have me excited , stop reusing Rosalina's horrible MK8 voice and allow all the characters play all the events.

There you go , game of the year.
About the second point we all agree, about the first point, I agree too, but I think they will use mainly clips from the last recording session, I doubt Laura made a new one.
That being said, do you think there might be some unused clips from that session that could be used to salvage Rosalina's current voice?

For me, I don't care what they do for the next Olympic games as long as the Switch version supports the two remotes you get from just buying the console as my cousin, Gavan, loves to play the 2012 Olympics (the only console one I have).

Yoshi the SSM said:
For me, I don't care what they do for the next Olympic games as long as the Switch version supports the two remotes you get from just buying the console as my cousin, Gavan, loves to play the 2012 Olympics (the only console one I have).
The Rio Wii U game supported Wii Remotes without motion controls for multiplayer, so I think it's quite a possibility.

While I can definitely see how Wendy does not appeal to you at all (she's pretty much the opposite of rosalina in many ways), I'm surprised to read this. I mean, they skipped all the Mario Party games and all the Mario-only sports games, I don't find them frequently filling rosters. Apart from Lemmy, Morton and Iggy that even skipped the Mario & Sonic games, Larry wasn't in Mario Sports Superstars even though he has been shown playing tennis and riding horses, that would have made his presence in that game legitimate and not filler-like. And in the case of Mario Kart 8, the director said about them:

I don't see how me liking Rosalina relates to me not liking Wendy Koopa whatsoever, that's completely beside the point.

My comment took place for the fact that , if they appear they all do together , which makes them look like a complete filler because they are barely known as individuals , they are more known as a group.

Rio 3DS and Wii U skipped some of them and it looks weird , so that doesn't work either.

About the second point we all agree, about the first point, I agree too, but I think they will use mainly clips from the last recording session, I doubt Laura made a new one.
That being said, do you think there might be some unused clips from that session that could be used to salvage Rosalina's current voice?

Making all the characters available like previous games should be the get go if they plan to do these games for more years to come.

And no, i don't think Laura's ''unused'' clips would help Rosalina at all. Her voice as Rosalina overall simply lacks charm , i have come to that conclusion.

I have heard several of her ''unused'' MK8 clips that made it to Sports Super Stars and they only get worse and worse.

Example:
http://s1.vocaroo.com/media/download_temp/Vocaroo_s1jO7MPOWrAp.mp3

Meanwhile we still have the ''unused'' MK7 clips from Kerri Kane that made it into World Tour and those get better and better.

Example: http://s0.vocaroo.com/media/download_temp/Vocaroo_s0lMmKVEzr54.mp3

I refuse to accept that sound as the current Rosalina until the record new lines to fix the complete disservice they have done to the character.

Either you have charm or you don't. That's the sad truth.

Swiftie_Luma said:
I don't see how me liking Rosalina relates to me not liking Wendy Koopa whatsoever, that's completely beside the point.
That was just bad reasoning on my part, sorry for that.

Swiftie_Luma said:
My comment took place for the fact that , if they appear they all do together , which makes them look like a complete filler because they are barely known as individuals , they are more known as a group.

Rio 3DS and Wii U skipped some of them and it looks weird , so that doesn't work either.
Agreed; it wasn't always that way, as the Japanese Super Mario picture books of the late '90s are revealing, but that was 20 years ago. Now, the 2017 Japanese and North American calendars that don't feature all the Koopalings might be a sign of something changing, but I'm not holding my breath, as the current situation is pretty much the one described by you.
Hopefully SEGA will continue treating them as individual characters, at least. Between no attempt and a weird-looking attempt, it's not like I have much choice, anyway.

Swiftie_Luma said:
And no, i don't think Laura's ''unused'' clips would help Rosalina at all. Her voice as Rosalina overall simply lacks charm , i have come to that conclusion.

I have heard several of her ''unused'' MK8 clips that made it to Sports Super Stars and they only get worse and worse.

Example:

Meanwhile we still have the ''unused'' MK7 clips from Kerri Kane that made it into World Tour and those get better and better.

I refuse to accept that sound as the current Rosalina until the record new lines to fix the complete disservice they have done to the character.

This does not bode well for the future of Rosalina's voice, unless some other big budget title will require a new recording session. I don't know if Super Mario Odyssey will feature Rosalina, as it is more centered around world exploration judging by the trailer and the logo. Beside, it should be seen if clips from said game would then be used in spin-off games, as the situations and contexts are usually very different.
The other Mario title beside MK8DX and SMO that should be coming is, well, this unannounced game. Since this series is known for reusing voice clips (sometimes even wrong ones, as Wendy using Larry's voice clips showed), I don't think we can expect a new session soon. We'll see after E3, I guess.

Swiftie_Luma said:

Example:

It would be weird for her personality to change from her "mysterious and powerful" to "a cute girl with magic powers", and to an extent, "same personality as Peach".

With her Peach-like voice, you wouldn't imagine Rosalina saying "HELP!" or "MARIO!", and getting kidnapped by Bowser.

Back