Well, this issue was bound to come up sooner or later

eh, to me, sponsors did the right thing so....uh, that's all i have to say on that matter.

Swiftie_Luma said:
However , that's not an excuse for all the people that had the audacity to ''feel'' offended by this.
while i agree with you for the most part, i gotta disagree with you here

this is a valid thing to feel offended over, and people can't control what does or doesn't offend them

being mad at someone for feeling offended is pretty stupid

what matters is how a person reacts to offense

you can't just claim nothing offends you, everyone has their weak spots

it's just that some people react to offense more verbally (and sometimes physically) than others

those folks need more self-control, not complete desensitization
2257 said:
im glad swiftie luma is here to tell us about how much it hurts his feelings, when other people talk about how much something hurt their feelings
Oh yeah, that also grinds my gears. The complete lack of self-awareness among a lot of these un-PC people. News flash, just because you're not PC doesn't mean you can't still have the SJW mentality. The only difference is the specific groups of people you're trying to silence/protect.

Swiftie_Luma said:
However , that's not an excuse for all the people that had the audacity to ''feel'' offended by this.

Grow up , and man up. The internet does not define your life people , nor do the comments of an internet personality.

i72CcBP.png

After having looked into it, I feel like the joke was in poor taste and his sponsors are justified in their decision to pull the plug. But it seems he's received significant blow-back already, so further escalating the situation might be counter-productive.

Unfortunately I know how out of hand internet mobs can get, so his inbox is probably filled with numerous death threats by now, because that's what the internet loves to do. I doubt he's having a good time right now.

It would be nice if a civil discussion could be had.

As i said , Big companies react to controversies in this way. They care about their money and their public image , so of course they would drop anybody that can potentially give them bad publicity.

However , again , the people that are not associated with these sponsors need to chill considering that it's really not a big deal.

To put it simple , if you take Pewdiepie OF ALL PEOPLE this seriously when it comes to jokes , even if they are not funny , then i don't think he is the problem. He isn't exactly known for his political views , nor out of his opinions on serious matters , so bye on that one.

That's basically it.

Swiftie_Luma said:
However , again , the people that are not associated with these sponsors need to chill considering that it's really not a big deal.

You can't tell people they're not allowed to be offended by something, or criticise them for having something said that makes them uncomfortable. Are some people going overboard with this? Well, yes, obviously. However, people are still allowed to find things offensive. You don't know what other people have experienced.

i find in this day and age, everyone gets offended by something

the trick is to say absolutely nothing at all, then everyone will get along and can't possibly complain about being offended

heck, people get offended by other people saying that something offends them

when will it end?

It's the Internet. *bleep* breaking loose over arguably trivial crap happens pretty much on a daily basis. Better get used to it and hone your critical thinking skills.

Although left-wing is associated with PC and being offended all the time, the right-wing also gets offended by the dumbest crap that's also PC. So, can't escape that.

Decidueye said:

the trick is to say absolutely nothing at all, then everyone will get along and can't possibly complain about being offended

when will it end?
ah yes, people only started getting offended over things in the past few years. before then it was perfectly ok to say whatever you wanted and we were all free

Nabber said:
Decidueye said:

when will it end?
ah yes, people only started getting offended over things in the past few years. before then it was perfectly ok to say whatever you wanted and we were all free
i never said people didn't get offended before recently

i did imply that the rate people get offended by anything is skyrocketing, and you can't say three words on the internet or in real life without somebody getting offended over something trivial

i don't think neptune was saying that the issue has only been around recently, his point is that the issue is the most-

ah dammit, ninja'd again. yeah, what neptune said.

Neptune, you shouldn't be surprised. Things like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr (vehicles that amplified the speed of information and also the speed and ubiquity of overreactions and death threats) became super popular only in the past few years. So, people often overreact and use their initial emotional reactions and their twitchy fingers to make a quick post before they get the time to process, think clearly, and critically examine the information they're seeing. Additionally, these venues also serve as echo chambers and a means to group and energize, so the like-minded can shotgun death threats and knee-jerks toward statements they don't like at unprecedented rates.

Still, though, even if social media is helping to increase how much offense is being taken in the world, this matter is still something I believe is understandably offensive.

Decidueye said:

when will it end?

I'm offended by you saying people feel offended about people getting offended about something that they think offends them.

Tsareena said:
I'm offended
the worst bit is, this is probably something someone would genuinely say if i posted what i said somewhere else on the internet

i'm not entirely sure nabber's not offended himself by what i said just now

LeftyGreenMario said:
Neptune, you shouldn't be surprised. Things like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr (vehicles that amplified the speed of information and also the speed and ubiquity of overreactions and death threats) became super popular only in the past few years. So, people often overreact and use their initial emotional reactions and their twitchy fingers to make a quick post before they get the time to process, think clearly, and critically examine the information they're seeing. Additionally, these venues also serve as echo chambers and a means to group and energize, so the like-minded can shotgun death threats and knee-jerks toward statements they don't like at unprecedented rates.
i wouldn't say i'm entirely surprised, i'm just saddened that it's come to this where you have to be majorly careful about saying anything over fears of offending someone.

but yeah, you're absolutely right

Swiftie_Luma said:
Decidueye said:

when will it end?

I'm offended by you saying people feel offended about people getting offended about something that they think offends them.
this offends me

Hmm, what I'm taking out of this is that Pewdiepie needs to be more responsible with his jokes. Obviously, he's not really racist and the internet is overreacting, but his jokes were offensive and I think Disney is right for not wanting to associate with him. Really, for his own sake, he should be more careful, considering his YouTube Red show got canceled.

Ok , so to avoid going on a unintended rant on my part , i will end by saying very short things.

1. He deserved to be dropped , because he was subject of controversy. People which such a huge platforms need to be on their toes.

2. I am not saying people should be heartless or out of touch with social issues. I'm saying that feeling truly offended because an internet celebrity did something that was not funny (and he clearly didnt have ill intentions) is dumb.

I think one can reserve that right , if someone literally attacks them personally and has malicious intentions , otherwise it's pointless.

Like don't get mad at a guy you don't even know in real life , save that energy into getting mad about that ex boyfriend that dumped you for your friend Rebecca or something.

2 different scenarios.

Lastly , i apologize if i offended anybody

Yeah you can laught at that one because while i really mean it , it sounds funny because the recent mocking about getting offended.

i mean, i never liked pewdiepie, i think he's annoying and not funny, but thats a different subject.

i agree with anton, the sponsers can do whatever they want if someone they sponsor negatively impacts their product, and i also agree with toadette 4evur, you cant just police people on what they are allowed to be offended by.

even if you belong to a certain group, you cant just say "i speak for all of _x_ and im not offended by this, why should anyone else be?" because your experiences are not everyone's. maybe its a little overblown, idk, i dont follow pewdiepie or sjw issues, so i havent been paying attention other than that he got his sponsorship's pulled, some negative blow back, and my opinion of him dropped a little, but i never really liked him anyway so that last one doesnt really matter.

and yeah, maybe social media is amplifying it, but social media burns bright and burns quickly. i havent been following it closely, but it sounds like pewdiepie hasnt been handling it well on his end either, trying to shift blame and play it off as a joke rather than owning up that he made a mistake.

yes maybe people are over reacting, but its a serious topic that really shouldnt be played off for cheap jokes, and pewdiepie should have been more aware of the current climate he was making the joke in. anyone who looks around should be able to understand why, in the current climate, that kind of joke might not go over well, whether you believe its a problem or not. and if it was some sort of statement, it was a poor one and badly made if it has been misinterpreted as badly as it obviously has been.

also, pewdiepie is an adult and a comedian, and should take responsibility for his action as an adult and comedian, which he apparently isnt? if he issued a proper apology rather than shifting blame, it probably wouldnt be blowing up as large as it is. free speech protects you from government and bodily harm, not from employer backlash or public opinion.

it may or may not be an overreaction, but the sponsors have handled it correctly, theres no more you can expect from them. the rest is on pewdiepie to manage his brand against the public backlash, and so far he has done a poor job of it. its his job to own up and clarify what he meant, instead of deflect. not the publics job to twist his words to defend him against his own actions and words.

just to reiterate my own views, since i don't think it's that clear for some people in this thread, i like pewdiepie, i don't believe he's a racist, and i think it was wrong of the media to twist it to make him look like a racist

however, his joke was risky, and to a child friendly company like disney, i don't have an issue with them cancelling their contract with him. it was pretty much inevitable

i understood the joke, i thought it was comical, but i also accept that it's venturing into dangerous territory

hopefully that clears things up

I don't like him , and i don't dislike him. It's neutral to me. I don't even find him funny.

For all i care , Disney can do whatever they want , if they drop him and etc.

My problem is with the internet warriors overreacting , as usual.

I still think , people with a big platform and influence should be more careful though.

My thing is at a certain point there's a line that you shouldn't cross. Like yeah i'm sure it was meant as satire but somethings you just shouldn't do. And if you do them and suddenly businesses don't want to associate with you well tough that's kind of how the system works.

Regardless of what the fans did, the professional response was, well, professional. I agree that PDP being dropped from a bunch of things was the right thing to do, but to say that he supports/ is a Nazi is just wrong. Obviously it was satire, but yeah, these things do have consequences. Like, TBH nothing unsurprising happened; you'd expect the same responses in any other situation.

fucking tbh I'm seeing more people pissing themselves over "omg everything is too pc now" and "omg everyone gets offended at everything !!!!!!!!" more than I am seeing people flip their dicks off that he's a nazi, and honestly the quickness and ease to strawman any valid complaints is much more concerning than the bubble babies you're all referring to in their ivory tumblr tower echo chambers

this isn't an "everyone gets offended so easily because pc culture is running rampant!!!" issue, he made a fucking death to jews joke including nazi symbolism during a time when that shit is ACTUALLY HAPPENING with shocking resurgence, acceptance, and excusability, so of course it's a sensitive issue people are going to respond to and by tripping over yourselves to look cool on the internet by criticizing the vocal minority of pissbaby tumblrites who are claiming he's a nazi but have no real power and weren't following him anyways you're just coming off more as an apologist

we get it, he's not a nazi, no one who's serious or non-deluded thinks that, so please stop pretending that that's the opinion in power

by making jokes about how people are getting offended by everything you're just dismissing actual valid critiques and making a risky judgment that puts in jeopardy actual offenses by over-using the PC label to the point that everything is super diluted and simply voicing a concern brings out all of the crows squawking, like right now, about how this generation doesn't have a thick skin

The Pyro Guy said:
Regardless of what the fans did, the professional response was, well, professional. I agree that PDP being dropped from a bunch of things was the right thing to do, but to say that he supports/ is a Nazi is just wrong. Obviously it was satire, but yeah, these things do have consequences. Like, TBH nothing unsurprising happened; you'd expect the same responses in any other situation.

It has happened before.

Public employees have been fired for controversies over Tweets.

Pretty much what Anton said.

Though, I have to admit, I find it kind of funny and ironic that, all over the internet, I've noticed the people calling others "snowflakes" tend to be some of the biggest snowflakes themselves.

Back