Will the Switch get its own unique Smash game?

Hopefully one a bit more coherent

The only problem is that there are way more characters now than there were in Brawl. Trying to shoehorn all of them in will only make it less coherent.

Magikrazy said:
The only problem is that there are way more characters now than there were in Brawl. Trying to shoehorn all of them in will only make it less coherent.
Civil War had a shit ton of characters but it was still coherent so anything is possible.

supermariofan said:
Magikrazy said:
Civil War had a shit ton of characters but it was still coherent so anything is possible.

Civil War was within the same universe. The recent Marvel films operate that a good majority of the franchises happen within the same world even if some of the stories don't always inter-connect.

Try doing that with multiple franchises from completely different universes, tones of their games, etc. and even the best writers would have trouble not making it sound like a fanfic in a young gamer's mind.

Just don't give a story. Smash didn't need a story for why the hell everyone was clobbering the hell out of each other. You can just make it like Melee Adventure mode, where a character romps through different Nintendo settings and kicks ass. For that matter, I thought it was stupid to create tons of original enemies for Subspace Emissary since it kind of defeats the point of a massive cross-over, to be honest.

And quite possibly the worst insult was the man behind the Subspace attack, Naked Blue Man. Who is he, and where did he come from? How was he able to take control of the Halberd? Where did he get all the Mr. Game & Watches? If he is unable to leave Subspace, how was he able to put any part of his plan into motion?

Subspace Emissary, more like Subpar Embarrassment

Probably not, since there are big timestamps between each Smash Bros. game that gets made.

I think the Switch will get a completely new Smash game, but it might not be until 2020 or thereabouts.

Tsareena said:
Northern Verve said:
I think Sora has a bit of a complication of being partially owned by Sora and Disney. Either way though I don't think he's the best choice should Square Enix get another rep.

I think it'd either be a Dragon Quest protagonist, Lara Croft, or possibly even Geno (Since we now know Sakurai has had interest in having him in Smash even back in the Brawl days)
Personally I think Chrono would be a great Square rep, especially due to the nostalgia his inclusion would entail.

no square hates chrono too much for that shit.

I believe it'll depend on the Switch's degree of success. Starting with an enhanced port of Sm4sh that includes both versions' content and possibly more, and if the Switch lives long enough/is a smash (I'm so sorry) hit, a brand new entry late into the console's lifespan.

They could simply be developing a port of 4. At this point, it's very hard to tell.

I'm actually more interested in this quote:
[quote author=Reggie Fils-Aime]
[...] so you can expect, you can anticipate at some point in the future, who knows when, that all of our franchises will be addressed.
[/quote]

I think a Smash 4 port is bound to happen. Smash 4 sold really well on both consoles it had iterations on, and it's still really fresh (people still play it a lot, it's popular in tournaments, etc).
A new one, as in Smash 5, would happen really late in the console's lifespan if the Switch goes by 6 or 7 years, or even more, considering how a Smash 4 port could breathe even more life in a game whose community is still far from dead. So idk, the possibility that a new Smash skips this generation of Nintendo isn't small either

they need to make it easier to mod :d

anyway, make all stages 8 player smash compatible or else.

I'd rather have 'Mario and Nintendo All-Stars Racing' with an unlockable brawler mode.
It would be perfect in both ways; Mario Kart and Smash Bros. in the same cart. Also, Samus riding her ship would be the perfect sight.

i hope so.

Can't wait to see what are the new characters if there's a new Smash game for the Switch.

TBH , looking at the switch's early success i would imagine that they are at least talking about a possible Smash 4 port or even a brand new game.

SuperDoom said:
I'd rather have 'Mario and Nintendo All-Stars Racing' with an unlockable brawler mode.
It would be perfect in both ways; Mario Kart and Smash Bros. in the same cart. Also, Samus riding her ship would be the perfect sight.
That sounds like a recipe for two half baked games instead of a single, solid game.

GalacticPetey said:
SuperDoom said:
That sounds like a recipe for two half baked games instead of a single, solid game.
Man that sounds like a waste of an opportunity.

SuperDoom said:
I would never want to see that. It would probably replace Mario Kart, which will remove to many popular Mario characters. I'd rather characters from other Nintendo franchises stay in Mario Kart 8 and their own series.

Then it would also replace Super Smash Bros., removing game modes, and other fan favourite features for a minor bonus mode.

Two games in one may sound cool, but when you think about the risks and removals Nintendo will have to take to make it, it won't be as good of an good idea.

SuperDoom said:

I think that's not a good idea. Mario Sports Superstars had 5 sports, but each of them lack content. In particular, Golf and Tennis end being less good compare to the original games.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
SuperDoom said:
I would never want to see that. It would probably replace Mario Kart, which will remove to many popular Mario characters. I'd rather characters from other Nintendo franchises stay in Mario Kart 8 and their own series.

Then it would also replace Super Smash Bros., removing game modes, and other fan favourite features for a minor bonus mode.

Two games in one may sound cool, but when you think about the risks and removals Nintendo will have to take to make it, it won't be as good of an good idea.
1. It wouldn't replace famous Mario characters. They would be given special movesets.

2. Removing the Multi-Man Smash mode would just be a minor inconvenience. The '99 original didn't have it, and it was popular enough to get the Gamecube treatment with Melee in 2001. (And Melee got Brawl, Brawl got Smash 4, and Smash 4 is getting Smash 5.)

Back