Is Birdo a bird or a dinosaur?

FunkyKong84

Blooper
I saw somewhere (can't find where) that in SMB2's booklet she was described as a bird...

Any info on this?

That was a mistranslation of the original manual that labeled Birdo as ''Ostro'' an enemy that was an Ostrich.

Birdo is , much like Yoshi , an anthropomorphic creature that may or may not resemble a typical depiction of a dinasaur ; Which in my opinion , in the case of Birdo , is a bit inaccurate since Birdo's facial features are totally not of a typical dinosaur depiction unlike Yoshi.

Any other info should obviously be here http://www.mariowiki.com/birdo#Super_Mario_Bros._2

Birds ARE dinosaurs. ;P

On a less pedantic note, all birds have beaks feathers, so Birdo lacks the characteristics needed to be called a bird.

I had looked both the mariowiki and the wikipedia entries before posting this. Also I did not refer to the confusion with Ostro, I should've mentioned that in the OP.

Her original form in SMB2 was more dinosaur-like, as her mouth wasn't always open but only when spitting out eggs.

I'll try to find the exact source of what I mentioned earlier.

The Fake Mario Show described Birdos as birds, evidenced by their chirping and ability to fly.

Then again, it also thinks Toads can rip their scalps off and use them as parachutes.

Baby Luigi said:
The Fake Mario Show described Birdos as birds, evidenced by their chirping and ability to fly.

Then again, it also thinks Toads can rip their scalps off and use them as parachutes.

aha, that's where I got that stupid idea from...

Yoshi the SSM said:
Note: I don't believe birds are dinosaurs.

Birds are dinosaurs and that's a fact.

btw

birds_and_dinosaurs.png

Baby Luigi said:
Yoshi the SSM said:
Note: I don't believe birds are dinosaurs.

Birds are dinosaurs and that's a fact.

btw

birds_and_dinosaurs.png

That is evolution. I am the type of person who believes that the earth and everything else was created in six days (lasting 24 hours each). Evolution is something I can fight for a long time. But, if you want to believe birds are dinosaurs, then I won't criticize you.

I always wondered how hardcore creationsists think of dinosaurs and animals of the like that are long extinct. Because if all the land animals was created on the 6th day, how would it make sense for all of them to die literally in that exact same day and be buried underneath the earth before humans were created.

Salazzle said:
I always wondered how hardcore creationsists think of dinosaurs and animals of the like that are long extinct. Because if all the land animals was created on the 6th day, how would it make sense for all of them to die literally in that exact same day and be buried underneath the earth before humans were created.

1st: I don't actually see a reason why this should continue on the thread unless it refers to Birdo. 2nd: There is something called the Flood which evolution scientists will want to ignore/make more than one.

ok i'd rather not continue this even though I very strongly disagree so much

Uh, Birdo is pink and stuff.

Samson said:
to me birdo doesn't look anything like a bird and since the smb2 thing was confirmed to be a mistranslation the argument that she is a bird has very little ground imo
The show says otherwise, but, by the show's logic, calling Birdo a bird is like calling an elephant an ant. Ridiculous.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Samson said:
to me birdo doesn't look anything like a bird and since the smb2 thing was confirmed to be a mistranslation the argument that she is a bird has very little ground imo
The show says otherwise, but, by the show's logic, calling Birdo a bird is like calling an elephant an ant. Ridiculous.
tfw the show is more canon than the games

It is equally canon but Nintendo doesn't pay much attention to it. After all, Mario series has no canon.

what does birdo's name even come from? her name in japan was "catherine", how did it translate to "birdo"?

Furthermore , last time i checked ''Catherine'' is a female name ... why change it?

And yes Birdo is male in Japan , but thats a bit messy considering that the American Birdo (female) has a rather out of the blue name while the Japanese Birdo aka Catherine has a female name

Nintedo was really messy.

Speaking of which , i liked how the JP version of Mario Tennis 64 has Charles Martinet (as Mario) saying ''Game Catherine'' which is Birdo and ''Game Hey ho!'' which is Shy Guy.

Maybe "Birdo!" is the sound she makes when she spits an egg out of her mouth.

When Birdo was named ''Birdo'' she didnt have the current sounds she makes , she had a full voice.

It is now that she makes sounds trying to say ''Birdo'' , just like Yoshi tries to say ''Yoshi''.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Maybe "Birdo!" is the sound she makes when she spits an egg out of her mouth.

When Birdo was named ''Birdo'' she didnt have the current sounds she makes , she had a full voice.
Full voice? Are you confusing Super Mario Bros. 2 with the Game Boy Advance remake?

Either way, her modern noises weren't what I was talking about. I was talking about the noise she makes when she spits out an egg in SMB2.

Yoshi the SSM said:
Salazzle said:
1st: I don't actually see a reason why this should continue on the thread unless it refers to Birdo. 2nd: There is something called the Flood which evolution scientists will want to ignore/make more than one.
Btw the "6 Days" donesn't necessarily mean literally 6 periods of 24 hours, the word "day" has been used for other periods of time.
Psalms said:
For a thousand years are in your eyes just as yesterday when it is past,
Anyway getting off topic.

Baby Luigi said:
what does birdo's name even come from? her name in japan was "catherine", how did it translate to "birdo"?
Maybe that Ostro thing got the translators confused, so they translated the wrong name?

Baby Luigi said:
They're not even "translated" as you put it.

"Koopa" doesn't translate to "Bowser" and "Kuribo" doesn't translate to "Goomba" and "Teresa" doesn't translate to "Boo". Birdo sounds like a localized name coming from this insane idea that this wreck of nature somehow resembles a bird to some people.

Or maybe it's just some nonsense name with no meaning. Just because it's named Birdo doesn't have to mean somebody thought it was a bird.

Back