• Total voters

Alex95

The True Power Master
Banned User
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Alex95
So, this seems to be a confusing topic. In the earlier Mario Party games, namely the first two, Wario's Japanese voiceover of "Oh my, God!" was changed for the other regional releases. Here's the kicker, many people hear Wario say "D'oh, I missed!" Problem is, Wario's actually speaking German and exclaiming "So ein mist!" Source? Wario's VA at the time: Thomas Spindler.

Translated quote:
"This is 100% correct. Wario speaks German: he says (or rather, *I* say) 'So ein Mist!' The recording was done in a studio of the former Nintendo head office in Kyoto (not the new Nintendo premises in Kamitobaguchi), under the direction of Mr. Takashi Tezuka. Back then, I worked on the script for another Nintendo project with my French friend and colleague Julien Bardakoff (who voiced Toad/Kinopio). My company T.S. Word Co.Ltd. also translated and adjusted the German script for Star Fox which can be verified in the credits of Star Fox 64. The concept behind Wario was that of a German character and those responsible for the voice-overs at Nintendo back then intended him to speak German. I hope that this resolves the issue once and for all."

While it's understandable that many people (which included me) confuse the phrase as "D'oh, I missed!" or something similar, if you listen closely, you can hear:
  • The "S" at the start.
  • The "n" after the "I".
  • The "t" at the end.
This is apparently a confusing subject, so I'd like to hear what everyone else here thinks. Take this from a user who's partially deaf and has trouble hearing little things like this, yet I can hear this clearly.

Heh, I remember when you corrected me on this. It's definitely "So ein mist!" It has official confirmation, and I can clearly hear the "S", the "n" and the "t".

I never heard either of them. It sounds more like "D'oh I uh" to me.

I've originally thought it was "Oh I missed!" but I guess it could be interpreted as "D'Oh I missed!" or "So ein Mist!"

I'm German, and he is definitely saying "So ein Mist!". The intonation perfectly matches the german phrase, particularly the "o" in "so". Plus, as was already said, there is an audible S and an N in there.

Everything I've ever believed in has been proven a lie.

Also, when Therunawayguys made their LP of Mario Party 4, Chugga pointed out that Peach says "D'oh I missed" when she loses. I don't hear it, but you can listen to it here.

Rusty Bucket Bay said:
Also, when Therunawayguys made their LP of Mario Party 4, Chugga pointed out that Peach says "D'oh I missed" when she loses. I don't hear it, but you can listen to it here.

I hear "Oh, I missed..."

It'll always be Doh I Missed to me and millions of others. Word of God be damned, Doh I Missed is funnier and more memorable.

Salazzle said:
Alex95 said:
Salazzle said:
I refuse to believe tbh

And then there's these people.
And then those you people who try to destroy my childhood ;v; i never actually played mario party as a child lo

:wario: the hero always arrives late. :wario:

Dia said:

:wario: the hero always arrives late. :wario:

It's the same voice clip as above. The background music makes it difficult to distinguish exactly what he's saying, which of course is a factor in this.

Alex95 said:
Dia said:

wario.gif
the hero always arrives late.
wario.gif

It's the same voice clip as above. The background music makes it difficult to distinguish exactly what he's saying, which of course is a factor in this.

as i said!!

Dia said:
Salazzle said:
Alex95 said:
Salazzle said:
I refuse to believe tbh

And then there's these people.
And then those you people who try to destroy my childhood ;v; i never actually played mario party as a child lo

wario.gif
the hero always arrives late.
wario.gif

:wario: THE HERO ALWAYS ARRIVES LATE :wario:

Back