Ideal roster for future Mario Kart games

I just think it's tacky.

Mister Wu said:
The Pyro Guy said:
Well yeah, if the alt is an actual character or has a relevant background, it should be selectable, but not just 'Mario with blue hat'. But I think characters like metals or power ups shouldn't take up a whole new slot; hell, the Koopalings would be grouped into one if I was directing the roster. Once exception is Dry Bowser, as I think he's been distinguished enough from Bowser to get his own place.
Ironically enough, in Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, developed by Namco Bandai and Nintendo just like MK8, we actually have Mario With a White Hat (Fire Mario), Luigi With a Blue Hat (Ice Luigi), and Dry Bowser is an alternate version of Bowser, in the same slot...
When I said 'Mario with Blue Hat' I wasn't really referring to a power-up, I was just giving an example of an univentive alt costume.

Baby Luigi said:
There isn't a reason only generic species get alternate colors. Mario Golf N64 did this and there's no problems with that. The devs need to exercise more creativity.

If a Toad has six different variants that are simple colour changes (like a Toad with their cap spots and shirts coloured green) that would make sense. Toads are a species and have variations like that, and the same goes with most other generic species. Individual characters, however, don't really make sense if you find them suddenly wearing a different outfit. I'm all for alt costumes being based on things that already exist, but not for unexplained palette swaps with no history.

It's funny how you say that it has to make sense on a canonical level, when Mario Kart 8 allows you to select as the exact same character playing the same time. And I'd like to point out that Orange Shy Guys in Mario Kart 8 have like no "history" behind them in Mario Kart 8, they were basically made to fill out the menu.

Also, Mario Kart is a series that makes up "characters" all the dang time. They don't need to be restricted by what color palettes "exist" or not, that's an arbitrary restriction that thankfully Mario Golf 64 and Smash Bros. totally ignored. The only reason there aren't selectable character palettes is simply Nintendo lets these restrictions restrict customization in the game.

Totally agree with Baby Luigi

I don't know why someone would be opposed to more content for the characters because it's not from a ''past game'' , that's makes no sense.

Everyone from Mario Kart Double Dash!! through Mario Kart Wii, along with Link (cause I like Link) and Kamek. Guy's been trying to enter the races for a while, might as well let him in.

Characters I don't want to see join are those made specifically for Mario Kart, such as Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach. Fine with Baby Daisy and Toadette, though.

I really don't get it why people turn to Mario Kart for wackiness. Just because you have bad taste and you wanna see Waluigi in a bikini costume doesn't mean that the developers care about what you think.

Costumes for Mario/ Peach/ Luigi/ Wario and Bowser (Dry Bowser) and colors for Yoshis/ Koopas/ Toads/ Shy Guys/ Birdos/ Hammer Bros is enough. You don't need wacky hats.

Your point of view reminds me of Rare when it created Redneck Kong (dafaq?) for the cancelled Diddy Kong Pilot...

Baby Luigi said:
Mario Kart 8 allows you to select as the exact same character playing the same time.
Point taken, can't explain that.

And I'd like to point out that Orange Shy Guys in Mario Kart 8 have like no "history" behind them in Mario Kart 8, they were basically made to fill out the menu.
Yes, but it isn't surprising that a certain variation of Shy Guy exists; if I had to guess, I'd say most people would expect Shy Guys to have an orange variant, seeing as they have red, yellow, green, blue, pink, white, black, etc.

Also, Mario Kart is a series that makes up "characters" all the dang time. They don't need to be restricted by what color palettes "exist" or not
Does it? I can only recall PGP and two babies, and everyone knows that they weren't received well.

They don't need to be restricted by what color palettes "exist" or not, that's an arbitrary restriction that thankfully Mario Golf 64 and Smash Bros. totally ignored.
Apparently a lot of Smash alts can be compared to already existing palettes, but some of Smashwiki's explanations seem a little obscure. Take it how you want.

Swiftie_Luma said:
I don't know why someone would be opposed to more content for the characters because it's not from a ''past game'' , that's makes no sense.
A palette swap is barely extra content, it's something that can quickly be achieved with no creativity, which is why I think that for individual characters, a restriction should be made so that a little more effort would be put into a costume. For instance, you could make the cap yellow and the dungaroos black (that combination being written on the spot, and can probably be created within a few minutes), or you could look for a recognisable combination and work from there. That kind of effort would be appreciated by me, but that's just my opinion; feel free to disagree.

FunkyKong84 said:
I really don't get it why people turn to Mario Kart for wackiness.
I'm sorry that you don't see the wackiness in a series where you can play as a dinosaur and throw bananas at a gorilla. In all honesty, wacky and zany are probably the best ways to describe Mario Kart. The closest thing to a serious Mario Kart I can think of is Blur (which in all honesty, is pretty fun).

This whole discussion is so full of salt , it's no even funny.

Mario Kart is full of ''wacky'' content , just to thrown in there MKDS Karts , the whole GPDX Content and a variety of casts of characters

The only racing game that allows a Princess to wreck a Dragon Turtle and a Ghost at the same time.

MK8 Also has literally Mario and Peach in the most wacky costumes you can get, yeah a so called power up is still literally a person inside a full animal suit , so i don't see the point anymore.

Swiftie_Luma said:

Mario Kart is full of ''wacky'' content , just to thrown in there MKDS Karts , the whole GPDX Content and a variety of casts of characters

The only racing game that allows a Princess to wreck a Dragon Turtle and a Ghost at the same time.

MK8 Also has literally Mario and Peach in the most wacky costumes you can get, yeah a so called power up is still literally a person inside a full animal suit , so i don't see the point anymore.

No, you're full of salt.

Mario Kart is wacky as a game, but it doesn't have to be too wacky. There's limits

I'd like to point out that Mario Golf 64 and Smash Bros. only have palette swaps or outfits based on past games, not completely new costumes like what LeftyGreenMario said.

Luigi 64DD said:
I'd like to point out that Mario Golf 64 and Smash Bros. only have palette swaps or outfits based on past games, not completely new costumes like what LeftyGreenMario said.

Some costumes in Smash are originals, actually. Most of Dark Pit's, Ganondorf's, Lucario's, Mewtwo's, the Miis, and Sheik's to name a few.

Alex95 said:
Luigi 64DD said:

Some costumes in Smash are originals, actually. Most of Dark Pit's, Ganondorf's, Lucario's, Mewtwo's, the Miis, and Sheik's to name a few.
That's not what I meant. They either have outfits based on past games or totally original palette swaps. They never have totally original outfits, like Mario in a chicken suit.

FunkyKong84 said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

No, you're full of salt.

Mario Kart is wacky as a game, but it doesn't have to be too wacky. There's limits

Theres limits , says who?

Nintendo does as they please , even went so far to create a Pink Gold Peach. There's clearly no limits to what they do , as it can be as unexpected as it gets.

Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach inclusion is the sole proof about this , if we go deeper , including totally unrelated Mario characters like Link and the Animal Crossing ones already breaks the so called ''limits'' .

There isn't another racing game out there where you can make baby versions of a character race against their adult selves.

Face it, Mario Kart is the wackiest racer out there.

Swiftie_Luma said:
FunkyKong84 said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

No, you're full of salt.

Nintendo does as they please , even went so far to create a Pink Gold Peach. There's clearly no limits to what they do , as it can be as unexpected as it gets.

Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach inclusion is the sole proof about this , if we go deeper , including totally unrelated Mario characters like Link and the Animal Crossing ones already breaks the so called ''limits'' .

says common sense and taste. Pink Gold Peach is just an exception. You guys are arguing here that all characters should get crazy designs. Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach aren't wacky at all.

Also, the reason why they chose Pink Gold Peach to be included in the roster was the somewhat popularity of Metal Mario in MK7 and their laziness, as her model was based on Peach and wasn't hard to make. Same reason why Funky Kong was chosen for MKWii, they used his model from Barrel Blast. In that same game, they used the models of Bowser and Diddy Kong from Double Dash!

FunkyKong84 said:
Same reason why Funky Kong was chosen for MKWii, they used his model from Barrel Blast.

Nope, they're completely different models; Barrel Blast has higher quality models than MKW. It's more like they retextured and altered Donkey Kong's model.

FunkyKong84 said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
FunkyKong84 said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

No, you're full of salt.

says common sense and taste. Pink Gold Peach is just an exception. You guys are arguing here that all characters should get crazy designs. Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach aren't wacky at all.

Also, the reason why they chose Pink Gold Peach to be included in the roster was the somewhat popularity of Metal Mario in MK7 and their laziness, as her model was based on Peach and wasn't hard to make. Same reason why Funky Kong was chosen for MKWii, they used his model from Barrel Blast. In that same game, they used the models of Bowser and Diddy Kong from Double Dash!

Also, the reason why they chose Pink Gold Peach to be included in the roster was the somewhat popularity of Metal Mario in MK7

Citation Needed.

Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach aren't wacky at all.

Yes they are.

Same reason why Funky Kong was chosen for MKWii, they used his model from Barrel Blast.

Completely false. Rosalina and Funky Kong have brand new models that are lower in quality than both Super Mario Galaxy and Barrel Blast respectively.

Also nice try dodging the fact that DLC characters from other series already surpassed limits.

Do you guys not welcome the costumes in Mario Party 2, which were completely original?

also, chicken suit Mario isn't totally out of the wazoo, either, just saying.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Do you guys not welcome the costumes in Mario Party 2, which were completely original?

also, chicken suit Mario isn't totally out of the wazoo, either, just saying.

In fact , it's just matter of time.

Mario is already a tanooki , a frog , a penguin and a cat.

I love costumes in MP2, they added originality to the game , but even if this is not bad at all i cannot help but wonder if they added them to diferentiate a bit more the game from the original as we pretty much can say that MP2 is an enhanced version of the first game , unlike MP3 which added tons of things new.

Chickensuit.jpg

It's an opportunity to indulge in the crazy and/or forgotten, that's what I'm saying.

i.e. fan service.

Isn't this just a difference in opinion? Some people want crazy costumes, others think it's going too far. What's the point of arguing when its not going to change anyone's opinions?

Back