2001: A Mario Odyssey

Let ME post it. :mad:

Just realized the Sombrero and the Skeleton Outfit would make a great combination for Dia De Los Muertos. oof now I want to get the Skeleton outfit quickly

Boy oh boy the sound design on this game is fantastic.

i think this is probably the best mario platformer to be made, at worst, maybe tied with 64.

since im older, im definitely being a lot more critical on it; the lack of hub world, and its more linear gameplay are something im trying to get used to. but they probably did switch up the formula for the better.

i love the plethora of new characters/worlds/items introduced, it'll be really cool to see them return in spin-offs and later games, and I really love how many references to past titles there are

I got this game yesterday, and I've played it for about 12 hours so far I believe, and it is so fun. I love how exploration-based it is (even if a few moons are a bit hard to find). I love the references to other games, and it might be cool to see some DLC for the game, but I'm not sure about that.

i definitely do love the exploration aspect; it makes it feel more like banjo-kazooie than mario 64.

Paper Jorge said:
i definitely do love the exploration aspect; it makes it feel more like banjo-kazooie than mario 64.
You know a thing I really really like and that Banjo-Kazooie (and Tooie) did but SM64 and SMS didn't?
Not necessarily quitting the level after you get a story-related power moon or multi moon. Even though this potentially made the levels less versatile (although in this case Odyssey doesn't seem affected at all, with nighttime and rainy versions of the levels), it prevents having to repeat whole section of levels every time a main goal is reached and also gives the impression of playing a single, cohesive adventure.

To be honest, I think a race course based on Crumbleden with the Lord of Lightning attacking the drivers with his lightning bolts would suit the realistic style seen since Mario Kart 8, not to say that there's quite some potential for putting antigravity sections.

infinite8 said:
C'mon, c'mon! Let Pauline be playable in Mario Kart!
The good news is, there is hope for this! I noticed a tradition that every Mario Kart game takes elements from the main 3D platformer of the same system it's on (except for Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit, which took elements from 2D platformers).

Super Mario Kart had a bunch of tracks based off Super Mario World, and the sprites resembled those from SMW.
Mario Kart 64 had Royal Raceway, plus Leslie Swan voiced Peach.
Super Circuit remade the SNES tracks, just like the Super Mario Advance games remade the SNES games.
Double Dash had all the Piantas, Nokis, Cataquacks, and Shine Thief. Plus, the Mushrooms were the same shape as the 1-Ups in Sunshine. And we got Bowser Jr. and our pal Petey Piranha as playable characters.
MKDS had Tick-Tock Clock and all the bosses from SM64DS.
Mario Kart Wii had Rosalina playable and Star Bits in Rainbow Road. And there was a Topman boss in the Galaxy Arena.
Mario Kart 7 had the wooden boards as obstacles, along with the Tanooki Leaf as an item.
Mario Kart 8 had the Cat Cruiser, Cat Peach, Bell Cup, Super Bell Subway, and the Piranha Plant item.

So yeah, I'm pretty confident that Pauline is going to be playable for the next Mario Kart.

While Pauline is nice and possibly even overdue, I still want to see Glydon on an inside drifting bike with his patagia opening and flapping as his speed increases.

I got the game on its release day and have played it a lot - and enjoyed it a lot - and collected almost 400 moons. However, there's one secret level in which I can't manage to get the secret power moon, it seems to have some major design flaws so that it is nearly impossible to get the moon. I'm talking about one of the "cappy-less" secret areas on the Dark Side of the moon, in which you have to run and jump along a path made of bricks to get a key, with bullet bills coming from both sides and destroying the bricks. To get the secret moon, you have to drop to the lower platform at the end of the path, where a banzai bill spawns, which has to be utilized to destroy a wall of bricks below the starting platform, behind which the moon can be found.

This level is played the first time in an earlier kingdom, with the only difference that you have Cappy on your head - this makes the whole thing very easy, as you can simply capture the banzai bill and steer it directly into said wall.

However, this time you have to do it without your hat friend. Getting the key and then the first moon still is very easy with some precise longjumps. For the second moon, you have to drop down to the lower platform to make the banzai bill spawn, and then you should use longjumps over a series of single brick blocks to get back to the starting platform, with the banzai bill behind you.
And here, the problems start. When you drop down to the lower platform, you have to manually turn the camera around to see where you have to jump - but you barely have enough time for this, as when the banzai bill gets too close, you don't see anything except its nozzle, and when it hits you, you're dead and when you avoid it, it destroys the blocks you need to get back, so that you have to suicide.
Then, you have to do those longjumps, but the blocks are a bit too far away from each other so that a simple longjump won't go far enough and when you hit a block's edge, it is an instant death due to the wall-bonk and the inability of cancelling the longjump with a Cappy throw. To make your longjumps long enough, you have to run a bit to build up speed for the first one, and then roll for a short amount of time between them. While the blocks barely provide enough space for this, the true problem is that during the roll animation Mario doesn't always jump immediately, so that sometimes you roll straight into doom. I still can't figure out what exactly causes Mario to not jump out of the roll, it's very weird.

After trying it for hours and losing more than 1500 coins just from dying, I came to the conclusion that it is - for now - (nearly) impossible to get the moon, unless you get extremely lucky with your longjumps. Luckily this moon is not required to finish the story nor to get to the Darkest Side, but it is still a drop of bitterness in an otherwise excellent game. Luckily I got my coins back by switching the Switch off without saving the game.

Semako said:
I got the game on its release day and have played it a lot - and enjoyed it a lot - and collected almost 400 moons. However, there's one secret level in which I can't manage to get the secret power moon, it seems to have some major design flaws so that it is nearly impossible to get the moon. I'm talking about one of the "cappy-less" secret areas on the Dark Side of the moon, in which you have to run and jump along a path made of bricks to get a key, with bullet bills coming from both sides and destroying the bricks. To get the secret moon, you have to drop to the lower platform at the end of the path, where a banzai bill spawns, which has to be utilized to destroy a wall of bricks below the starting platform, behind which the moon can be found.

This level is played the first time in an earlier kingdom, with the only difference that you have Cappy on your head - this makes the whole thing very easy, as you can simply capture the banzai bill and steer it directly into said wall.

However, this time you have to do it without your hat friend. Getting the key and then the first moon still is very easy with some precise longjumps. For the second moon, you have to drop down to the lower platform to make the banzai bill spawn, and then you should use longjumps over a series of single brick blocks to get back to the starting platform, with the banzai bill behind you.
And here, the problems start. When you drop down to the lower platform, you have to manually turn the camera around to see where you have to jump - but you barely have enough time for this, as when the banzai bill gets too close, you don't see anything except its nozzle, and when it hits you, you're dead and when you avoid it, it destroys the blocks you need to get back, so that you have to suicide.
Then, you have to do those longjumps, but the blocks are a bit too far away from each other so that a simple longjump won't go far enough and when you hit a block's edge, it is an instant death due to the wall-bonk and the inability of cancelling the longjump with a Cappy throw. To make your longjumps long enough, you have to run a bit to build up speed for the first one, and then roll for a short amount of time between them. While the blocks barely provide enough space for this, the true problem is that during the roll animation Mario doesn't always jump immediately, so that sometimes you roll straight into doom. I still can't figure out what exactly causes Mario to not jump out of the roll, it's very weird.

After trying it for hours and losing more than 1500 coins just from dying, I came to the conclusion that it is - for now - (nearly) impossible to get the moon, unless you get extremely lucky with your longjumps. Luckily this moon is not required to finish the story nor to get to the Darkest Side, but it is still a drop of bitterness in an otherwise excellent game. Luckily I got my coins back by switching the Switch off without saving the game.
You should probably spoiler that.

Who the hell at Nintendo thought that locking a moon behind a shitty volleyball minigame would be fun?

I'd rather do Rolling Gizmo Galaxy over this since at least that doesn't take like 4+ minutes.

J-Yoshi64 said:
infinite8 said:
C'mon, c'mon! Let Pauline be playable in Mario Kart!
The good news is, there is hope for this! I noticed a tradition that every Mario Kart game takes elements from the main 3D platformer of the same system it's on (except for Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit, which took elements from 2D platformers).

Super Mario Kart had a bunch of tracks based off Super Mario World, and the sprites resembled those from SMW.
Mario Kart 64 had Royal Raceway, plus Leslie Swan voiced Peach.
Super Circuit remade the SNES tracks, just like the Super Mario Advance games remade the SNES games.
Double Dash had all the Piantas, Nokis, Cataquacks, and Shine Thief. Plus, the Mushrooms were the same shape as the 1-Ups in Sunshine. And we got Bowser Jr. and our pal Petey Piranha as playable characters.
MKDS had Tick-Tock Clock and all the bosses from SM64DS.
Mario Kart Wii had Rosalina playable and Star Bits in Rainbow Road. And there was a Topman boss in the Galaxy Arena.
Mario Kart 7 had the wooden boards as obstacles, along with the Tanooki Leaf as an item.
Mario Kart 8 had the Cat Cruiser, Cat Peach, Bell Cup, Super Bell Subway, and the Piranha Plant item.

So yeah, I'm pretty confident that Pauline is going to be playable for the next Mario Kart.
With the next Mario Kart (possibly) having elements from Super Mario Odyssey, there should be a battle mode involving Cappy. Some sort of "tag" mode.

got this on launch day and ive in a lot of time over the past 3 days (around 30+ hours so far iirc)
not a lot of in depth thoughts right now but i will say i think this is one of the best games that i've ever played, still havent quite decided if it beats the galaxy games in terms of being my favourite game ever, but yeah its pretty amazing. love the level design, love the scope and content of the game, love the smaller details and stuff, overall just a wonderful experience. it's the kind of game that i know once i'm finished with it that i'll be able to come back to it a few years down the line and enjoy all over again

Magolor said:
Who the hell at Nintendo thought that locking a moon behind a shitty volleyball minigame would be fun?

I'd rather do Rolling Gizmo Galaxy over this since at least that doesn't take like 4+ minutes.

man i couldnt agree more. i was playing basically non-stop and was getting heaps and heaps of stuff done but that minigame just killed my momentum. i tried it for a little bit, but i stopped and havent gone back to the game yet since. one of the only major things about this game that i actually dislike.

Aqua said:
man i couldnt agree more. i was playing basically non-stop and was getting heaps and heaps of stuff done but that minigame just killed my momentum. i tried it for a little bit, but i stopped and havent gone back to the game yet since. one of the only major things about this game that i actually dislike.

I ended up getting the 100 volley moon but I had to cheese it with 2 player mode. Basically have Mario stand at one of the corners of the court and use the second joycon to control Cappy. Cappy is infinitely faster than Mario and the pushback from the ball isn't as bad since Cappy's fast. You just have to be careful of being pushed back to Mario as Cappy will plop right back onto Mario so keep your finger on the button just in case.

Still took me forever though and playing with single joycon sucks though.

Really not looking forward to 100 jump rope and RC rally moons.

Why must the darker side of the moon be so long and devoid of checkpoints?

So apparently, Bowser has different responses depending on which costume you wear to the final battle (at least five different responses. Skeleton Mario triggers one of them). Are there any compilations regarding them?

Mcmadness said:
Why must the darker side of the moon be so long and devoid of checkpoints?

They wanted to make a """"""""challenging"""""""" level

Apparently, not even this game is same from glitches.
[youtube]watch?v=xvw1g-x3Cco[/youtube]
The video Xplains (pun intended) it. You hear about glitches being patched, but I feel this one will not be patched unless they decide that this is something they don't want in the game anymore. And if a glitch has been found within 4 days after being launched (though the one that found the glitch had it longer), we could expect glitches to come fast. However, it is not guaranteed.

Back