2001: A Mario Odyssey

I will feel minor disappointment if DK doesn't appear at New Donk City

Luigi 64DD said:
Now let's not get our hopes up too high...

Well, this game makes many references to Mario's origin as Jupman. It would be a missed opportunity in my eyes if neither of them appeared, especially DK.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
Luigi 64DD said:
Now let's not get our hopes up too high...

Well, this game makes many references to Mario's origin as Jupman. It would be a missed opportunity in my eyes if neither of them appeared, especially DK.
I was mainly saying that about Pauline, since I think the chance of her appearing in anything other than MvsDK is slim at this point. However, I think DK has a better chance.

Zae Eildus said:
glad i havent hype a game in a long period of time.
Especially not at this point in development.

This game, I have so many good feelings about it, I'm not exactly a fan of open world games, but if it turns out to be anything like Zelda BotW in terms of interactivity and quality, it's very likely to be one of the best Mario games made.

^Probably the hype talking, lol.

I love Mario's details *_* the clothes, the hairs (okay, well...) The game looks completely gorgeous, too. And pimp Bowser FTW.

Alex95 said:
I really just hope there are Star Missions like in SM64. I really like that aspect of the 64-Sunshine games, which is what this game claims to be following.
I personally think it's going to be more story-event oriented. In SM64, you revisited the same world until you collect all available stars. Whereas within Odyssey, I think you'll visit an area for one mission, but then be prompted to revisit again later on in the game to continue the story. That desert world with the gradual freezing and shifting pyramid seems to imply this.

A Banjo-Tooie structure would be neat indeed in my opinion. After all, I found that going back to the hub only to immediately return to the stage a bit excessive. It was a smart way to load the differences required by the new missions, but nowadays it should be technically feasible to make that happen in real time, or at least force the user to change place a lot less frequently (not after every Star or Shine Sprite or main collectible).

Well I already know what those Hammer Bros who wear chef's hats and throw Frying pans are since my first time making the Fanmade Illustrated Chapterbook "Super Pauline: the First Adventure in Pok'eball Federation" when Villain Dr. Viktor von Houndoom (One of Bowser's Minions) summoned a few of those Bros. to go after her when she and her allies are collecting the pieces of the 7 Star Diamonds so they can rescue the Pok'eball President's Son.

Yes! I'm talking about the Skillet Bros.

Before anyone asks I'll bring my old fanfic to this forum this summer.

Harold Roxby said:
Well I already know what those Hammer Bros who wear chef's hats and throw Frying pans are since my first time making the Fanmade Illustrated Chapterbook "Super Pauline: the First Adventure in Pok'eball Federation" when Villain Dr. Viktor von Houndoom (One of Bowser's Minions) summoned a few of those Bros. to go after her when she and her allies are collecting the pieces of the 7 Star Diamonds so they can rescue the Pok'eball President's Son.

Yes! I'm talking about the Skillet Bros.

Before anyone asks I'll bring my old fanfic to this forum this summer.
Huh that's a...quite a fan fiction.

Lady in Satin said:
Alex95 said:
I really just hope there are Star Missions like in SM64. I really like that aspect of the 64-Sunshine games, which is what this game claims to be following.
I personally think it's going to be more story-event oriented. In SM64, you revisited the same world until you collect all available stars. Whereas within Odyssey, I think you'll visit an area for one mission, but then be prompted to revisit again later on in the game to continue the story. That desert world with the gradual freezing and shifting pyramid seems to imply this.

Same here! I don't know why but I keep having a feeling this game will be more akin to Sunshine, with a bunch of cutscenes and more developed story (maybe even with voice acting?)
Not sure about how the levels are going to be structured though, they are sandbox levels but the checkpoint flag was also shown in trailers...

It is possible that the areas are large enough​ that they have small checkpoints in case you die

Yeah but in the desert world there is a checkpoint flag in the center of the town but the airship has one too, and it's right next to the town. So maybe they have a different purpose this time, since it's unlogical to have two checkpoints just right next to each other.

I'd imagine that, if there are different areas to explore, then it's possible that, depending upon where you die, you can choose which flag you go to

Maybe it's role to serve as "shrine" from BOTW, that Mario can go to whichever flag pole he want to go.. I don't know. just thinking of why there's few flags on a place... There's 3 or 4 flags on New Donk City.

But isn't New Donk City huge? I would imagine that these checkpoints would serve as warps between important areas in a world, like in DK64.

Not sure if this was already discussed, but I had a cool idea.

The hat is central piece of the game, so what if there were other caps Mario could wear? They would retain the basic moves of the Crazed Cap (which I think is what it's called?): the boomerang, jumping off of it, etc. It'd be cool to see the Wing, Metal, and Vanish Caps return as power-ups, plus some additional ones like a Fire Cap or an Ice Cap (you can probably tell what the inspiration for those are). Considering Mario walks into hat stores which are seen in several areas, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Any cap power-ups you'd like to see?

Back