2001: A Mario Odyssey

Re: NEW 3D MARIO

I like how just like with Colour Splash and with the Switch itself everyone is making quick conclusions about this game's workings.

Like it could be literally anything at this point in time.

The ice(?) mountains look fancy though, could be that just like on world maps there are completely unrelated biomes are bordering each other here.
Maybe slightly open world-ish, but this setting is a bit too specific and hostile for that to be entirely feasible.

Magikrazy said:
it's funny cause you both have "freak" in your name
... I was literally about to make a joke in this setting.

I'm just going to restrain myself and call this a tech demo.

Super Mario Galaxy 3 would be fine but I'd rather want an entirely new Mario game.

Also, I'm hoping this thing will have multiplayer AND there isn't a splitscreen AND you have freedom to go wherever you please in a level, like how there is a Sunshine mod that can use Dolphin's netplay to achieve similar results.

I wouldn't mind a new mario game beyond the galaxies. They could wrap their minds around new stuff besides gravity play and a few new powerups

Maybe they shake up the Mario formula. Right now, this looks pretty standard. I'm not super impressed. But what if one of the the Nintendo Switch's partners is the UnReal people...? *licks chops*.

Striker Mario said:
Maybe they shake up the Mario formula. Right now, this looks pretty standard. I'm not super impressed. But what if one of the the Nintendo Switch's partners is the UnReal people...? *licks chops*.
With everything that the series has accomplished, what could possibly be done to shake up the formula?

Geoff said:
this game has way too much potential for me to think that it's only a tech demo
Don't get me wrong, tech demos CAN look impressive for their time or even look like games-in-the-making (Mario Kart XXL and Peach's Castle). For me, there is way too little footage shown so far, gameplay highly resembles just the first two games, and the presentation didn't look polished enough to look like a proper game reveal. So I'm just being a little skeptical that this is a new game we're seeing rather than a tech demo that'll either not be used or end up to be something a lot different.

Time Turner said:
With everything that the series has accomplished, what could possibly be done to shake up the formula?
I don't know personally, but Link did shake up the formula and you'd think that its series accomplished a lot too... besides, Mario IS criticized a lot recently for being safe and it's a legit criticism.

The game looks like 3D World with an open hub, no timer, linear levels and hearts (as seen in the second part) which makes it look similar gameplay-wise to the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy games.

Also the girl in the trailer takes it with her and gives a controller to her friend as well as one for herself, multiplayer confirmed?

winstein said:
I wonder if the amiibo shown is foreshadowing for playable characters? In any case, I hope that they could somehow make Daisy at least playable here.

That would be cool. Could we have Link and Villager in there as well? It would be pretty funny to see them in a Mario Gam-- wait. (Mario Kart 8)

I don't know why, but the town almost looks like something you'd see from Samba de Amigo.

Super Mario 64-2 please I've only been waiting 20 years

Little details: in the "hub world", you can see that there is some "glass" there too. An umbrella has purple arrows over it, meaning that you probably have to ground pound it. There is a shop called "Crazy Cap" and, since we were mentioning Fiesta de Los Muertos from Rayman Legends, the left building has on its right side a skull of those Mexican guys.
Regarding elements and power ups, we see three golden rings, Coins, and a heart. The heart suggests a system similar to the first two 3D games or the Super Mario Galaxy games.
Speaking of which, the moon can be seen, so it might be set on the Mushroom World.
Regarding moves, we have seen the triple jump, again from the first two 3D games and the Super Mario Galaxy Games, as well as the long jump. Oddly, Mario has a peculiar running animation as soon as he lands, then starts running normally. I think I have already seen before the pose before landing but not the animation after landing.
NPCs and enemies? We saw four Mexican guys plus maybe another one far away and another one at the window, a Bullet Blaster with Bullet Bills, something is moving on the sand but we don't know what, and two cacti that might be...well...cacti.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13350494/super-mario-switch-everything-we-know

so this is a pretty good analysis of the footage we saw and catches a bunch of things i missed

they point out that there's a huge theme of desert covered in ice, i hope that's just a particular area of the game because i don't want to play a whole game with that theme

I would love a 3D RPG, I'm hoping this is what it will become.

Perhaps that's why the town seems so "sparse, and so unlike a star mission or regular Goal Pole level.

Somethign tells me this is going to be called "Super Mario Fiesta".

Looks like the graphics are really becoming more Pixar-like!

YoshiKong said:
I would love a 3D RPG, I'm hoping this is what it will become.

Perhaps that's why the town seems so "sparse, and so unlike a star mission or regular Goal Pole level.
I would like a game more focused on exploration and where you get to talk to other people and there's also an actual story. There are already original characters and recognizable, non-abstract settings, which is good in my book. The ultra-wonderful situation for me would be Bowser, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings in the game, but not as bosses, rather as NPCs, allies or even playable characters against another more annoying guy.
You know that thing, you start off fighting the Koopalings like always, then the annoying guy arrives, freezes everything and the fire breathing guys don't like this that much.

I somehow wonder if that's even ice we're seeing or it's glass or salt.

Still not trying to get hyped over this because we've seen so little and it looks so incomplete.

Back