What obscure/forgotten characters would you like to see in a new Mario game?

Baby Luigi said:
Mario needs more realistic environments.

When they did that, Mario Kart 8's race tracks was the result.
I worry about it stepping into The Good Dinosaur's problem: gorgeous photorealistic backgrounds with cartoonish foreground characters. I think MK8 has a good balance as is, but I'd rather that it didn't go any further.

Time Turner said:
Baby Luigi said:
Mario needs more realistic environments.

When they did that, Mario Kart 8's race tracks was the result.
I worry about it stepping into The Good Dinosaur's problem: gorgeous photorealistic backgrounds with cartoonish foreground characters. I think MK8 has a good balance as is, but I'd rather that it didn't go any further.

If you have a good artstyle in the first place, you don't really have to worry about clashing scenery.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I also want the humans back because they seem more intriguing than the Miis and it's a great way to include more humans in Mario games in general, and who knows, we can get the next Rosalina or something.
I actually made a Mii that resembled Plum and used it in Mario Golf: World Tour. Although I usually dislike playing as Miis, I actually kind of liked playing as Mii!Plum. I guess it was the pre-established aspect of her character, but I digress.

If a generic human became playable in more spin-offs, I would want it to be Plum.

Plum.jpg

I miss Mr. I... One of my favourite enemies in all Mario games, but it hasn't appeared in a new game since Mario Party (in 2007)! It even had consistent appearances before that.

Paper_Mr._I.png

My answer is incredibly predictable, but most of the Mario RPG characters, particularly in the franchise as a whole. But in particular, all the characters Paper Mario introduced before Sticker Star. They thankfully aren't forgotten (they are lucky enough to have a passionate fanbase) but they are definitely obscure based on how often I meet a Nintendo fan IRL who knows them (rarely). I hope that one day changes.

I'm sure they'll be just as celebrated as Foreman Spike

Mcmadness said:
I'm sure they'll be just as celebrated as Foreman Spike
That's a bit harsh and cold. Couldn't you have put your disapproval more gently?

Less disapproval and more the reality of it.

I don't understand all the backlash against Lubba. He's a nice guy and needs to come back.

E. Gadd was a prominent character for the first few years after his debut, but has long since been left as a Luigi's Mansion-exclusive character. Bring him back to the spotlight.

Just like E. Gadd, Toadsworth was a prominent character in Mario games for his first few years. After that, he was left as a Mario & Luigi-exclusive character until 2013, after which he was absent from every Mario game since. Bring him back, Nintendo.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
E. Gadd was a prominent character for the first few years after his debut, but has long since been left as a Luigi's Mansion-exclusive character. Bring him back to the spotlight.

Apparently that was specifically of request by Miyamoto.

Also NSMBDS had a couple of nifty boss monsters that I wouldn't mind seeing again in like Mario Party or something.

Lakithunder or Mummipokey especially.

Hopefully they bring back characters like Geno, Tatanga, and Koopa Kid. If they made a Paper Mario game for the Switch, maybe make it a throwback to the older games with characters like Parakarry, Goombario, and Lady Bow.

Everything from Super Mario Land. Preferably with some better localized names. Even if this does happen, and even if there's localized names, they'll definitely be different from what I hypothesized.

Mcmadness said:
Ghostly Yoshi said:

Apparently that was specifically of request by Miyamoto.
Do you have a source for this? That's interesting and was E. Gadd created by Miyamoto? If he was, it's even more odd, if not, still news to me as all cases of this kind of thing I was aware of were in Paper Mario. Regardless, I don't understand the conservativeness as usual.

I wish I did but unfortunately I saw the article for it years ago.

Though looking at it makes sense since there was even a couple references to him in non Mario games.

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Mako

Like Mako here from windwaker

Not quite forgotten, but she no longer had an important role after Partners in Time.

557bf7bbc5298e62abeae21466b2a21b189ae132_00.jpg

This darling dame should meet up with our whisker boys again!

Why do those games even bother bringing those characters back if they're just going to suffer from chronic amnesia and not recognize Mario and Luigi? Like, what's the point if they're not going to reference their past adventures, I mean, that's supposed to be the reason they're brought back from those games in the first place? They may as well be a new character entirely.

799px-SnorkelSnake.PNG

I'm ready for HD whatever the hell this thing is.

Back