• Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
I am pleased by the amount of SPM hate.

Mcmadness said:

Don't get too pleased with yourself. I dislike SPM for having a badly-written story, not for the fact that it tried to tell a story.

thats not even the problem with me really, however thats kind of a silly view to have.

Dr. Alphys said:
Don't get too pleased with yourself. I dislike SPM for having a badly-written story, not for the fact that it tried to tell a story.

Thats exactly why I hate it. I don't mind if the rpgs have stories, I just don't want them to be cliched melodramatic rubbish.

Time Turner said:
i mean

i liked super paper mario

i also really liked the story and its characters

if that's alright with youuuuu

*sharpens knives*

lol

i could vote twice in this poll for some reason

oh well more votes for sticker star i guess

also which troll voted for ttyd lol

Time Turner said:
i mean

i liked super paper mario

i also really liked the story and its characters

if that's alright with youuuuu

I don't really mind. Taste is taste, and sometimes people see something in a game/story/whatever that others don't see, and it makes it worthwhile for them.

Like, I personally don't understand why someone would like characters that treat you like shit, and a narrative that acts as if you're an idiot, but maybe there's just something I don't see.

Dr. Alphys said:
Like, I personally don't understand why someone would like characters that treat you like shit, and a narrative that acts as if you're an idiot, but maybe there's just something I don't see.
Maybe it's because it's been a while, but I don't remember those moments in the game. Could you elaborate?

I currently have a thread in Fan Creations where I record my experience while playing through the game. A lot of it is tongue-in-cheek commentary, but I do elaborate on a lot of things that irritate me with its plot and characters, and things I feel do not make sense or are plot holes. Like, that thread is pretty much as elaborate as I can get.

The gist of it is that, excluding the four protagonists which are recurring characters from other games, I can count the characters I like in SPM on one hand. Everyone else is either bland, deliberately annoying/rude for no reason, or using you for their own end.

I thought SPM's story was alright and it had some nice characters. my biggest complaint was the awful music and dull time wasting gameplay.

Sonja said:
I don't think Super Paper Mario is an RPG
I don't think earth exists

DragonFreak said:
I honestly don't view SPM as an rpg either. It's way more like a platformer with an arbitrary level system that could probably have been taken away and with a few adjustments there would be no difference.

i see it as a game that tried to be some sort of rpg that failed considerably, ya know, like the entire game.

DragonFreak said:
(I actually never heard anyone hating Superstar Saga before)

Thing is, I don't hate it. Have you ever played a game or watched a show that almost everyone speaks fondly about and it just didn't click with you? This is more or less how I feel about Superstar Saga. It's not a bad game at all, it's just not for me.

Threek said:
DragonFreak said:

Thing is, I don't hate it. Have you ever played a game or watched a show that almost everyone speaks fondly about and it just didn't click with you? This is more or less how I feel about Superstar Saga. It's not a bad game at all, it's just not for me.

you know thats the same situation i have with super mario galaxy, i can relate.

i honestly thought the spm formula worked nicely for the most part

Threek said:
DragonFreak said:

Oh sorry I confused not liking as much for hating. I blame a specific someone for that..........

Also I seeeee.

Threek said:
DragonFreak said:

always happens to me, especially with single player games like undertale or whatever

DragonFreak said:
I honestly don't view SPM as an rpg either. It's way more like a platformer with an arbitrary level system that could probably have been taken away and with a few adjustments there would be no difference.
whether or not you view it as one doesn't change that it is. granted it's an action/platforming RPG and not a full blooded one, however it still has enough elements to qualify as an RPG. though yeah they could've just ditched a few things and it wouldn't have been one

Dr. Alphys said:
Happy said:
my biggest complaint was the awful music

Huh... that's a new one.
it's soundtrack was just alright to begin with but then it started sticking in my head really easily and it played through my head over and over again, which really grated on my nerves after awhile. seriously the flipside theme was going through my head like 2 weeks after I beat the game

so from what it sounds like the vast majority agrees that spm is a piece of shit

The only one I even remember is the Brobot theme, and only because BotanicSage did a mashup of it with Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Dr. Alphys said:
Mcmadness said:

From what I've seen, it seemed like the poor writing actually intervened with your enjoyment of the game. You've pointed out that it negatively affected your motivation to save the world and the attachment to characters. Not to mention, you had to slog through cruddy padded gameplay because of plot and negative writing. Those two are factors in enjoying a game.

I wouldn't even give it credit for actually trying to tell a story either. The story, as you said, so riddled with tired cliches and you quipped that it is something from Final Fantasy 1, and I think you added it as "they're not even trying anymore".

Back