What games would you consider to be the pinnacles of the Mario series?

Which ones do you think are the most deserving of being the pinnacles of the Mario series?

• Super Mario Bros. 3

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Super Mario World

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Super Mario 64

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • New Super Mario Bros.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Much as I do like sunshine it's.....weird.

Still some of my favourite recurring characters came out of it so it's all good.

personally i like it quite a bit myself, but yeah it does have some problems, far more problems then like say sm64 or galaxy.

Mostly gameplay but there is some character issues too. But then again sm64 and galaxy didnt try to do the same thing sunshine did either, so that might be why.

Apart from the obvious "lolsorryweforgottoaddbluecoinsinthemapsummary", I think the weakest part were the abstract sections. I liked the 1-1 remake, and some of the mysteries were funny, but in general the abstract sections just felt to me disconnected from the rest of the game. They probably tried to compensate the realistic settings, but ultimately I would gladly have had just those. I think Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy were more cohesive in this sense.

Well there were some odd gameplay choices and the powerups i dont find too useful either, some areas were really annoying like that one mission where you had to relied on getting thrown around and that first hotel mission as well as gambling section in the same hotel.

The boat the leaf, among other things, but i feel like sunshine did have some good features such as default fludd having a variety of moves and controls for most of the game felt quite good and smooth. But like i said there are more problems with sunshine then its positives, but i felt like if there was ever a sequel or a remake there could be some things that could be redone to make it better, as i felt like sunshine was a very heavy experimental game and that may be why its so up and down really.

World, 64 and Galaxy were all groundbreaking points for the Mario Series, each are fantastic games and changed the way we see video games today.

General Neptune said:
World, 64 and Galaxy were all groundbreaking points for the Mario Series, each are fantastic games and changed the way we see video games today.

64 certainly but world and galaxy? hardly. They were just both really great games.

Mcmadness said:
General Neptune said:

64 certainly but world and galaxy? hardly. They were just both really great games.

hmm why do you think that? I think smw really brought out some variety and replay value with multiple exits and one powerup having multiple uses not to mention having one of the most amazing powerups ever(the cape feather).

Galaxy broughts a new style of gameplay, some actual story telling in a platformer, and a new type of soundtrack we never got before.

Like yeah im not saying thats groundbreaking perhaps but i do believe its something to be in awe of.

I actually think the one that deseves the ''groundbreaking'' title is the one and only SM64.

The leap from 2d platformers to an open world full to explore is just way too big .

Galaxy didnt do much when it comes to make the series go to whole new level in the gameplay , thats just not true as the basics are clearly on par with the stuff 64 brought into the mix for starters , which is an open world.

Doesnt matter that the game is a little more plot-tish , as the game will always follow the same linear route.

openess doesnt really make something more impressive either, as you can often find yourself doing the same exact thing in an open game as you would in a linear game.

its not that really of a big deal, the more open a game is does make it have more replaly value, sure, but in the same case when someone that plays the game again they know what is what, and they will often take a scheduled route to ensure their own satisification of their run.

It's the same situation with super metroid like me, we know how the game is, we know how it works, and we know what upgrades to get early on or not, so we always go that route.

An open game isnt exactly impressive or ground breaking, and open gaming has been going on since metroid, its not that the game's openness that was impressive, but rather its jump to 3d. Of course 3d games arent restricted to just openness either, some can be linear or some cant, being open, stopped being impressive after super metroid.

Zae Eildus said:
Mcmadness said:
General Neptune said:

hmm why do you think that? I think smw really brought out some variety and replay value with multiple exits and one powerup having multiple uses not to mention having one of the most amazing powerups ever(the cape feather).

Galaxy broughts a new style of gameplay, some actual story telling in a platformer, and a new type of soundtrack we never got before.

Like yeah im not saying thats groundbreaking perhaps but i do believe its something to be in awe of.

In awe of it's quality to be sure but saying it was ground breaking and changed how we see games is definitely not so.

Mcmadness said:
Zae Eildus said:
Mcmadness said:
General Neptune said:

In awe of it's quality to be sure but saying it was ground breaking and changed how we see games is definitely not so.

Hmm yeah i guess you do have a point, i dont really like galaxy mind you but i do appreciate its existence enough.

Actually it is for this specific series because it was the first game to do so and in a huge way and lots of stuff were added thanks to the new 3D gameplay an open world.

For its time , it was huge , so it deserves the praise in that aspect.

So yeah , on that matter , Galaxy and etc can suck it as none of the games as of today have done something big enough to make it seem like the series is taking a whole new direction.

In terms of introducing more creative enemies , i think Galaxy is better.

im just not seeing it, sure it got open and introduced new elements, but as far as gameplay went and visuals, it was nothing impressive to me at the time, and this was when it first came out when i got my n64.

Even with that it was still pretty bare minium in various areas, lots of areas were bare, powerups were entirely situational, and everything just didnt look good to me, sure sm64 is a good game, but i never found it that impressive, maybe it is ground breaking and im just not seeing it. It's not the first time that ive seen a series leap into 3d and supposibly be amazing, see oot, but oh well.

Although i will give credit to some areas, such as that big to small area and the bowser areas, and the music was good, but i dont think it was really ground breaking enough to be better then some other games.

I think Super Mario 64 was groundbreaking in the sense that it had a legacy other games built upon. This includes the camera movement, which I think it was the first game that allows the camera to spin completely around Mario. I also think it's one of the first games that started the flourish of collection-oriented 3D platformers. I think it set the mold for later 3D platformers, and this is why it's hailed as ground-breaking.

Sure other games had better gameplay and visuals and level design (like Rayman 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, etc.), but they probably had something to owe to Super Mario 64. Ground-breaking doesn't necessarily mean it's the absolute best at what it does.

Striker Mario said:
I think Super Mario 64 was groundbreaking in the sense that it had a legacy other games built upon. This includes the camera movement, which I think it was the first game that allows the camera to spin completely around Mario. I also think it's one of the first games that started the flourish of collection-oriented 3D platformers. I think it set the mold for later 3D platformers, and this is why it's hailed as ground-breaking.

Sure other games had better gameplay and visuals and level design (like Rayman 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, etc.), but they probably had something to owe to Super Mario 64. Ground-breaking doesn't necessarily mean it's the absolute best at what it does.

ya know, maybe you're right, maybe my expectations are a little high on the ground breaking part.

I probably just need to be more acceptent in that aspect. Well regardless, whether it is to me or not is kinda irrelevant, but you do have a point in that regard.

Crash did kinda died off in recent years while Sonic has started to suck recently. Mario has been the only other quality platforming series in recent years.

you forgot rayman

Baby Luigi said:
you forgot rayman
Oh, damn it I forgot.

Leon Belmont said:
Mario has been the only other quality platforming series in recent years besides Rayman.

And Kirby and Donkey Kong.

And maybe Yoshi's Wooly World, but I haven't played that one too much.

the true best, never been topped game is TTYD. Great open world exploration, great dialogue, hours of gameplay just for the MAIN plot, awesome soundtrack, fantastic characters, and a comfy postgame

SpinyMaster347 said:
the true best, never been topped game is TTYD. Great open world exploration, great dialogue, hours of gameplay just for the MAIN plot, awesome soundtrack, fantastic characters, and a comfy postgame

what postgame

theres like nothing interesting in post game

Samus Aran said:
SpinyMaster347 said:

what postgame

Pit of 100 Trials
return to the Glitz Pit
Trouble Center
Pianta Game Corner
Filling Up Tattle Log
Leveling up partners
Recipes, Badges, Star pieces

feel like im forgetting something

SpinyMaster347 said:
Samus Aran said:
SpinyMaster347 said:

what postgame

Pit of 100 Trials
return to the Glitz Pit
Trouble Center
Pianta Game Corner
Filling Up Tattle Log
Leveling up partners
Recipes, Badges, Star pieces

feel like im forgetting something

you can do that in the main game

Back