Paper Mario: Color Splash

Nitwit said:
Has there been any news about the game outside of just no noise or out of luck? It seems Nintendo wants this game to stay quiet after many bashed on the game. (And rightfully so!) But... Still? We don't know much about the game or story outside of maybe Bowser being involved. Hmm?

It was announced like, one month ago, please be patient.

So since they are going full paper does that mean we'll eventually see a crossover between Paper Mario and yarn yoshi?

I'd rather they do Kirby and Yoshi together. They both peddled in arts and crafts before. But it wouldn't hurt to have Paper Mario be there either. Would be interesting, to say the least.

It would be very arts and craftsy thats for sure.

I cringed for every generic Toad I saw in that trailer haha xD

tumblr_o4n3g0UsO21siecfmo1_500.png

I wonder how many more years until Miyamoto's rule of "no story and no original characters allowed in Mario RPGs" wears off ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Mario/comments/4b718m/regarding_original_characters_and_story_in_mario/ ). I'll start caring about Mario RPGs again when Story and Original Characters return. Gosh I hate paper Toads now xD

The lack of diversity among the characters (from what's been shown) is pretty lame, but it's really my only complaint.

i don't think the forbidden use of original characters will produce only toads as a result

look at what mario party did, they made not only toads friendly, but penguins, mr i's, ukikis, boos, whittles, piantas, etc friendly as well

Someday, someday there will be a Paper Mario game featuring the most underrated of all old Mario characters.

I am of course referring to Bones from the Donkey Kong jr portion of the saturday supercade cartoon series.

Mcmadness said:
Someday, someday there will be a Paper Mario game featuring the most underrated of all old Mario characters.

I am of course referring to Bones from the Donkey Kong jr portion of the saturday supercade cartoon series.
Only if we will see Tatanga as main villain who will make the protagonists sleep so that Wart attacks them. And pink Donkey Kong Jr. will come to help, of course.

Mister Wu said:
Mcmadness said:

Only if we will see Tatanga as main villain who will make the protagonists sleep so that Wart attacks them. And pink Donkey Kong Jr. will come to help, of course.

When I was 11/12 and hyped for Mario Galaxy in 07, I recall being so dissapointed that Tatanga wasn't in the game. With the space sci fi setting, it would have been the perfect opportunity for him to come back. Same with Galaxy 2.

If there is a Mario Galaxy 3, I hope Tatanga and the Shroobs (they won't be, since OCs are forbidden now) are in it. They might as well make use of established alien characters if its going to be a space setting.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Mister Wu said:
Mcmadness said:

When I was 11/12 and hyped for Mario Galaxy in 07, I recall being so dissapointed that Tatanga wasn't in the game. With the space sci fi setting, it would have been the perfect opportunity for him to come back. Same with Galaxy 2.

If there is a Mario Galaxy 3, I hope Tatanga and the Shroobs (they won't be, since OCs are forbidden now) are in it. They might as well make use of established alien characters if its going to be a space setting.
To be honest, SM3DW added quite a bit of new characters, the Sprixie and their Princesses, all bosses save for Boom Boom, Pom Pom and Bowser, many enemies. Gobblegut, Fluzzard, Whittles and Fizzlits were introduced in SMG2. Even NSMBU introduced some new characters - Dragoneels, Flipruses, Waddlewings and even an important new character, Nabbit!
What we have seen in the RPGs is a completely new phenomenon that likely has little to do with the Super Mario series as a whole, so I won't be that negative about SMG3 (yet, of course, I wouldn't expect Tatanga since it was pretty much forgotten after SML2).

That being said, since the Koopalings were confirmed by ShockingAlberto I would like talking Koopalings and many lines of dialogue between them and Bowser and them and Bowser Jr., so that the Italian and German translation teams can continue adding random references to their original relationships that are absolutely absent in the Japanese version, just for fun!

It seems to me like Nintendo is focusing all of their more creative ideas into the Mario & Luigi line of games. Even after Sticker Star, Dream Team still had that "true Mario RPG" feel to it; new characters, unique and amazing locations (Somnom Woods in particular is INCREDIBLE!!), and a traditional battle system, among other things! One could say Paper Jam had a simple story despite coming after Dream Team, but quite frankly, that might be because of the Paper Mario involvement, and even then the story in Paper Jam isn't too bad (just playing it safe I guess).

Even though I'm gonna try to be optimistic about Color Splash, a part of me is still pretty saddened by this. The first three Paper Mario games played a big part in my gaming experience, and to this day they still remain some of my overall favorite video games. They furthered my enjoyment of the Mario series as a whole, giving me a deeper look at this amazing world and its history. To see that this is what Paper Mario has become is... Depressing... It just, doesn't hold a candle to the classics (I hate to sound like I'm wearing nostalgia goggles, but it's the truth)

TheSuperStarSaga said:
LHj3fl0.png

Case in point.

Well I could say the same to Mario Party being turned to trash but I guess we both have to move on.

Freaking Nintendo these days.

Baby Luigi said:
Well I could say the same to Mario Party being turned to trash but I guess we both have to move on.

Incidentally, both series have changed their development teams (Sticker Star was developed by a different team within Intelligent System, and Color Splash appear to be made by the Sticker Star team). I guess this shows how important this often overlooked aspect can be.

Mister Wu said:
Baby Luigi said:

Incidentally, both series have changed their development teams (Sticker Star was developed by a different team within Intelligent System, and Color Splash appear to be made by the Sticker Star team). I guess this shows how important this often overlooked aspect can be.

In the case of the Mario RPGs, I don't think that the issue lies with the developers being different (different sect of Intelligent Systems like you said). The issue lies with the higher ups at Nintendo restricting the developers (developers: Intelligent Systems and Alphadream). Early builds of Sticker Star had partners and were a lot like the first two games, Miyamoto didn't like that they were similar and he ordered it to be scrapped and re-built1 . He set two rules on the development team of Sticker Star "no story" and "no original characters"2. This rule seems to have stuck and has applied to every Mario RPG since, with the exception of Mario & Luigi Dream Team. Dream Team fought back against their higher up's orders3. The issue is with the higher ups at Nintendo creatively restricting the Mario RPGs, not the development teams themselves.

A lot of the reasons for why Mario RPGs have taken an unfavorable turn recently can be found here, anyone curious should give this a read: http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/089/758/bda.png

1. (source 1: http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/089/758/bda.png).
2. (source 2: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/latest_iwata_asks_episode_reveals_why_paper_mario_sticker_star_abandoned_rpg_elements)
3. (source 3: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67599871postcount=1).

TheSuperStarSaga said:
I cringed for every generic Toad I saw in that trailer haha xD

tumblr_o4n3g0UsO21siecfmo1_500.png

I wonder how many more years until Miyamoto's rule of "no story and no original characters allowed in Mario RPGs" wears off ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Mario/comments/4b718m/regarding_original_characters_and_story_in_mario/ ). I'll start caring about Mario RPGs again when Story and Original Characters return. Gosh I hate paper Toads now xD

What about fat toad? :posh:

To be honest about original characters in Mario RPGs..... I don't know what's the point of creating a whole cast of characters if they're going to be forgotten by next game. Unless your Fawful or Lady Bow. (The latter at least has a speaking cameo. Can't say the same for the rest of your partners from the first game.) What is wrong with using characters from previous characters? Or using characters like Waluigi or Daisy.

People like it when they create new characters because it's "new" and "different" for the sake of it even if they don't ever get reused outside of a tiny cameo of the game.

I like having a variety of different partners, but I don't see the point if they aren't going to physically show up in the next game.

Hence why I think they should ditch one off partners and replace em with mainstays.

I fail to see how recurring characters is a bad thing.

Better than using characters once and then replacing them with copycat characters the next game, like Goombario/Goombella, Kooper/Koops, etc. I definitely would have preferred a few of the older partners come back and then they keep appearing in games (not just Paper Mario). Same goes for the bosses.

It's exciting to visit a new world and see new characters. New characters means new possibilities for stories and interactions with other characters. The difference between Bombette and Bobbery is huge, and I am incredibly glad that we got Bobbery's storyline instead of just seeing Bombette again. Beyond that, even if they aren't new species or whatever, if the large majority of the cast is just taken from the last game, then why not just play the last game?

Time Turner said:
It's exciting to visit a new world and see new characters. New characters means new possibilities for stories and interactions with other characters. The difference between Bombette and Bobbery is huge, and I am incredibly glad that we got Bobbery's storyline instead of just seeing Bombette again. Beyond that, even if they aren't new species or whatever, if the large majority of the cast is just taken from the last game, then why not just play the last game?

Old character, new situation. Plus it's not like stories are the highlight of this franchise.

Back