What would you say are the weirdest Mario games?

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
Mario in general is known to be a rather weird franchise but some games even by Mario standards are just plain bizarre. So thats what this topic is about.

So here is a list that I made that involves what I feel to be the most bizarre and out there Mario games.

Super Mario Land 1 and 2. Flying easter island heads, exploding turtles, Jason Vorhees masks with feet, the 3 little pigs as a boss, ants with cannons on their heads. These games weren't made by the traditional Mario team and boy does it show.

Any game involving Wario. Seriously. These games are just bloody weird. Wario land, Wario ware, wario world, Mario & Wario, Wario's woods are completely bizarre and full of nonsensical stuff.

Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix

First of all, it's a Mario dancing game. Waluigi is the main antagonist. Toadette acts like she doesn't know Mario or Luigi and owns a hotel. Speaking of owning things, Toad has an airship powered by dancing or music or something. The power of dancing can do a lot of other shit as well, including helping Mario cross a river get out of a pipe. Bowser steals the four music keys (what causes the power of dancing to work) so can cure his tone deafness. The game ends with Mario (or Luigi), Toad, and Bowser dancing.

Also weird is that Peach and Yoshi aren't in the game at all.

MP5 gets rather bizarre, but it doesn't get more messed up than undersea dream.

WarioWare is the definition of weird. I don't think any Mario game gets weirder than that.

Magikrazy said:

First of all, it's a Mario dancing game. Waluigi is the main antagonist. Toadette acts like she doesn't know Mario or Luigi and owns a hotel. Speaking of owning things, Toad has an airship powered by dancing or music or something. The power of dancing can do a lot of other shit as well, including helping Mario cross a river get out of a pipe. Bowser steals the four music keys (what causes the power of dancing to work) so can cure his tone deafness. The game ends with Mario (or Luigi), Toad, and Bowser dancing.

i have that game and the mat and i regret nothing.

proof that konami used to not suck

All the games listed so far in this thread are weird indeed, but if anything, Super Mario Sunshine has some pretty bizarre enemies. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga has some pretty strange minor NPCs as well. And the Oho Jee...

That one bootleg Mario game where if Mario dies, there is a screen where Mario is lying there, a Blooper is on his face, and a Piranha Plant is sprouting from inside his abdomen.

You mean this?

horses tbh said:
Magikrazy said:

First of all, it's a Mario dancing game. Waluigi is the main antagonist. Toadette acts like she doesn't know Mario or Luigi and owns a hotel. Speaking of owning things, Toad has an airship powered by dancing or music or something. The power of dancing can do a lot of other *bleep* as well, including helping Mario cross a river get out of a pipe. Bowser steals the four music keys (what causes the power of dancing to work) so can cure his tone deafness. The game ends with Mario (or Luigi), Toad, and Bowser dancing.

i have that game and the mat and i regret nothing.

proof that konami used to not suck

I <3 Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix.

Baby Luigi said:
You mean this?
Yeah.

But I think bootleg/unlicensed Mario games in general really take the cake here. It's like being in a completely different planet.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned The Software Toolworks yet!
They made some of the weirdest Mario related gems ever seen, including:

The Mario's Early Years series (first game wher the Koopalings talk, plus Icky Iggy!):

The beloved Mario is Missing (gotta love Larry's voice, he's so kiddish!):

Of which they even found the dialogue for the finale (well, at least that was cut...):

Mario's Time Machine:

But to add some variety, let's go historical and remember the last game featuring the Koopalings in the '90s, Hotel Mario (they probably didn't want to be featured in another game after that... even though I have to admit that closing doors to finish stages is an innovative game design concept!):

And of course, the first game featuring Charles Martinet as the voice of Mario, Mario's Game Gallery (I would like to hear Mario saying some decently long complete sentences, anyway, since Super Mario Sunshine I haven't heard very much from him!):

Argh, Mister Wu, can you not embed those Youtube videos? They slay my loading time. >_>

Dr. Mario said:
Argh, Mister Wu, can you not embed those Youtube videos? They slay my loading time. >_>
Just spoilered! I had not thought about loading times!

Anyway, before you think that only the Western guys did weird games, let's remember some gems from the Japanese guys:

Yoshi's Safari (featuring Mario with a "gun"):

Super Mario World: Mario & Yoshi's Adventure Land (the first Mario game you play on the phone!):

and of course: Mario Paint (is it a game, though? Oh well, surely it's weird!):

Well, I think the Mario's Early Years stuff has some pretty strange stuff in there. :P

There's also this that I lovingly uploaded to this wiki.

Mario_Quiz_Card_-_Islam.png

And there's also alcoholic reference in the form of Prohibition but I didn't upload that. :O}(

Mario praying to the koran? Didn't expect that.

Although you mentioned Wario in the topic, I would like to add that Super Mario Land 3 is weird in that Mario is essentially headlining the title (and only appear briefly in the ending), but Wario is the main character.

Thanks for reading.

Wario Land 4 without a doubt. Have you seen those bosses? I mean, this is the game where a cuckoo clock and a flying teddy bear are your opponents...

Mcmadness said:
Mario praying to the koran? Didn't expect that.
Of course you didn't.

CM30 said:
Wario Land 4 without a doubt. Have you seen those bosses? I mean, this is the game where a cuckoo clock and a flying teddy bear are your opponents...
Also, that Golden Diva thing...

Back