Top 5 - 10 - 20 Mario Disappointments.

Mary Berry said:
I have the new play control version but it's still ok
No wonder.

The GCN version, I hear, is much better.

When it comes to disappointments Sticker Star is without doubt the biggest it's had. No point expalining the story of the situation as it's pretty clear you know by now.

Other disappointments in the series include Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Party 9 and most recently Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. Can't really see more recent games as disappointments because I don't consider myself much of a Mario fan anymore.

I thought MP9 and 3D Land were fun

except on my Wii U MP9 is kinda blurry

Some Mario games I had expectations but disappointed me:

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
I was hoping it would surpass Power Tennis, but the game's content is abysmal. Quite ridiculous when you hear Miyamoto saying: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Mario Party 10
I loved Mario Party 9, but this game is just an downgrade version. Well except graphics...

Mario Kart 8
I want to love this game, but I just can't. Physics are very weird, one collision to a wall and you make a 90° angle turn. The heavyweight are blatantly overpowered, to make it worse there are still acceleration tiers for no fucking reason. But the main problem is the atrocious item distribution, based on how far you are from the first and not your ranking anymore. Not to mention the terrible coin item. It is impossible to make a comeback. It leads to frustrating races which are decided in the first set of item boxes. I thought it would change with 200cc, but it's still the same. How to ruin a game which looked to be the best Mario Kart.

MP10 and MK8 are two of the best games I know

therefore we disagree cirdec

Cirdec said:
Mario Party 10
I loved Mario Party 9, but this game is just an downgrade version. Well except graphics...

Ah, another person who likes Mario Party 9 and was willing to give Mario Party 10 a chance, only to be disapointed. I feel your pain. ^^;

I have Wii New Play Control Power Tennis and the controls are fine, they just take a bit to get used to.

My personal disappointments are as follows:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star- As my first Paper Mario game, this game ruined my opinion on the Paper Mario series for a long time. It wasn't until I heard how good TTYD was or downloaded Paper Mario 64 that I realised the series is actually good,

Mario Party 9- I got this for my birthday one year, played it once and then returned it to the shelf and played MPDS. The car just made the game less fun, and I much prefer traditional Mario Party. The minigames are pretty meh compared to MPDS too.

Super Mario Galaxy 2- It simply didn't feel as grand and adventurous as the original did. They also shoehorned Yoshi in for no reason.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash- This game had potential but they decided to rush it for the holidays and it really shows. There is very little content, and questionable choices for new characters. (Sprixie Princess?). The game also feels lifeless and bland compared to Power Tennis despite the gorgeous graphics. I loved the opening cutscene and the victory cutscenes of Pwer Tennis.

Marcia said:
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash- This game had potential but they decided to rush it for the holidays and it really shows. There is very little content, and questionable choices for new characters. (Sprixie Princess?).
I think Sprixie Princess is a decent choice. It's really the omissions rather than who's there that boggles my mind.

Cirdec said:
Mario Kart 8
I want to love this game, but I just can't. Physics are very weird, one collision to a wall and you make a 90° angle turn.
I think this is pretty much consequence of the law of conservation of momentum, Mario Kart Wii didn't seem to follow that law very much when collisions with walls or course objects were involved...

Mister Wu said:
Cirdec said:
Mario Kart 8
I want to love this game, but I just can't. Physics are very weird, one collision to a wall and you make a 90° angle turn.
I think this is pretty much consequence of the law of conservation of momentum, Mario Kart Wii didn't seem to follow that law very much when collisions with walls or course objects were involved...
Yeah, I think it's more realistic that way, and it doesn't punish you as hard for drifting too tightly.

Dr. Mario said:
Mister Wu said:
Cirdec said:
Mario Kart 8
Yeah, I think it's more realistic that way, and it doesn't punish you as hard for drifting too tightly.

MK64 started that whole thing though

Bowser not having his own dedicated game yet.

Key word is kinda.

It's no Wario land or Captain Toad.

Mary Berry said:
MK64 started that whole thing though
Well, while vertical wall collisions in that game are almost better than steering (that makes you lose a lot of speed!), collisions with non-vertical walls very often (and always if you're airborne) result in the kart rolling and losing all speed and even items like stars losing their effects. I might investigate how the vertical wall collisions were handled, but I would go more cautious and say that Mario Kart: Double Dash!! with its "actually 3d" karts was the first that tried to have realistic wall collisions (even though with them I often ended getting stuck perpendicular to the wall for some obscure eason..).

Mcmadness said:
Bowser not having his own dedicated game yet.
I'm surprised by this too, especially because Wario Land is a thing of the '90s.

Although you know, a game having the Koopalings and Bowser Jr. as main characters along with dialogues and a story + storytelling by Koizumi or at least on a level no worse than that would be the one I am secretly awaiting in my wildest dreams...

Nintendo peddling in fan projects (especially the popular ones) and worse that some fans just froth at their mouths wanting Nintendo to take them down. People still think Nintendo had some role in Project M's halt.

Screw copyright sometimes.

RIP Super Mario 64 HD and may Nintendo and Super Mario Maker just burn

LunarTanooki said:
~Super Mario Galaxy 2
~NSMB2 and NSLU
~Mario Party 10
~Every Mario sports spin-off from 2012 onwards
~Paper Mario Sticker Star (For what it is worth, I actually LIKE sticker star however it feels very weak compared to it's predecessors.)
~Yoshi's New Island
~Nintendo's current attitude towards the Mario franchise.
~ :luigi:

-what
-yeah
-the heck are you talkin 'bout boy
-yeah
-never played it
-yeah
-what

Baby Luigi said:
RIP Super Mario 64 HD and may Nintendo and Super Mario Maker just burn

SMM is fun as long as you don't mind waiting

but yes Nintendo has gone downhill after Iwata's passing

Mary Berry said:
LunarTanooki said:
~Super Mario Galaxy 2
~NSMB2 and NSLU
~Mario Party 10
~Paper Mario Sticker Star (For what it is worth, I actually LIKE sticker star however it feels very weak compared to it's predecessors.)
~Yoshi's New Island

-what
-yeah
-yeah
-never played it
-yeah
-what

-Super Mario Galaxy 2 is overrated shitty rehash
-Sure, the two kind of sucked, but at least people gave them the treatment they deserved unlike Galaxy 2.
-Mario Party 10 sucked
-Yeah, but we don't have a lot of sports games overall and the recent ones failed to deliver expectations
-Sticker Star pretty much sucked
-Sure, that game sucked too.
-Not exactly sure what their attitude is toward Mario but hating Mario's fans is a thing.

Dr. Mario said:
Mary Berry said:
LunarTanooki said:
~Super Mario Galaxy 2
~NSMB2 and NSLU
~Mario Party 10
~Yoshi's New Island

-what
-yeah
-yeah
-never played it
-yeah
-what

-Super Mario Galaxy 2 is overrated *bleep*ty rehash
-Sure, the two kind of sucked, but at least people gave them the treatment they deserved unlike Galaxy 2.
-Mario Party 10 sucked
-Yeah, but we don't have a lot of sports games overall and the recent ones failed to deliver expectations
-Sticker Star pretty much sucked
-Sure, that game sucked too.
-Not exactly sure what their attitude is toward Mario but hating Mario's fans is a thing.

-it was mediocre but not absolute junk
-yup I can attest to that
-disagreed
-yup MTO was boring
-still never played it
-boring
-it is?

Mary Berry said:
Dr. Mario said:

-it is?
Let's Play/reviews Youtube revenue (including the shitty content program or something), taking down video content pertaining to modded games to "promote" Super Mario Maker, suspected handling of Project M, taking down fan projects such as Super Mario 64 HD, (previously) handling of the amiibo, general copyright asshattery, etc.

Given, they're not as bad as other companies, but that's probably the nicest thing I can say to them

Back