What are your first experiences with the Mario Series?

Here goes

I got a DS nearly 7 years ago, where I got Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS. When I wasn't at school, I was playing those 2 fantastic games. When I played them it was an amazing experience. I really couldn't comprehend the awesomeness that I was experiencing. That Christmas is the day I first loved the series and the reason why I'm on the Wiki and the Forum. Since then I've played many games in the series. Like 3, Galaxy, Brawl, Party, 3D World, World ect.

I love the series as far as I can remember. The first game I've played is Super Smash Bros.. I've been told that I was too scared at first or something, but I don't remember that. What I do know is that I've been too scared to play things like Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and even Mario Party because I was too scared that I would die or lose, especially in Mario Party, where it seemed humiliating. It shows when I started playing Super Mario 64 DS; I was really scared of that game. I'm sometimes so scared of playing as Mario and losing, I choose other characters like Toad or Boo before Mario. Heck, Mario was my first punching bag in Mario Party 6 for some reason.

I think I was younger than even 5 when I started playing, but it's true that I've gone into the series since I was a little kid, playing with those toys most likely. I don't know if the Mario dollies got me into it and then I played the games afterward or the other way around (I think it's the plushies that came first), and I always remember Super Smash Bros. to be my first game, and I highly enjoy this game up to today. The first Mario game was probably Mario Kart 64. :) As for the Mario toys, I still love taking them with me when I go around, even though I'm 20, but I, of course, got new ones while the older ones retire in my toy box.

I'm not sure how I got into the Mario character, but I think my parents told me that he happened to be the first character on the screen that I used. I'm not sure if I had an actual choice or not, that I just chose the first character or I liked him the most because other people used him. Either way, I love Mario, and I have a squish on him to this day.

My first experience is quite simple. My dad had the Super Mario Bros/duck hunt combo cartridge with his NES and I'd play that a lot. Not only was it my first Mario experience, it was my first video game experience ever. Took me years to beat that game because I sucked so much at it at such a young age.

Now what actually got me into the series as a whole was SM64 (I never had a super nintendo) and I freaking loved that game. After that I played lots of it's spin offs, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Paper Mario. All that good stuff.

My first Mario game was Super Mario Bros. when I was 3, my mother won a NES with that game in a contest and let me play it. I loved it so I got most of Mario games since.

I think I started with Super Mario Bros. on the NES at a my friend's house. Died a lot in the first bottomless pit lol.
I started taking the Mario series more seriously with another friend of mine who had a NES and a SNES complete with all Super Mario Bros. games and Super Mario All Stars. Yoshi's Island, SMW and SMB3 were our favorite (so now you know why I like the Koopalings a lot and why I am concerned with their family realtionships!), while I was seriously bad at SMK (really, it was much harder to control than MK64!).
The first Nintendo system I owned was an orange semi-transparent Nintendo 64 complete with the Expansion Pack and a Super Mario 64 cartidge, which is effectively the first Mario game I owned.
Then the GBA came and, after that, the GCN. After that console, I stopped playing Nintendo games for a while until I won a white Wii U at a giveaway (all the other Nintendo consoles were gifts, by the way), so you have to thanks (or not) that if now I am here...

Dr. Mario said:
I love the series as far as I can remember. The first game I've played is Super Smash Bros.. I've been told that I was too scared at first or something, but I don't remember that. What I do know is that I've been too scared to play things like Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and even Mario Party because I was too scared that I would die or lose, especially in Mario Party, where it seemed humiliating. It shows when I started playing Super Mario 64 DS; I was really scared of that game. I'm sometimes so scared of playing as Mario and losing, I choose other characters like Toad or Boo before Mario. Heck, Mario was my first punching bag in Mario Party 6 for some reason.
How could you surivve the Big Boo's Haunt????? That Mad Piano should have stopped your heart!

I don't even remember lol.

My earliest memory is the Super Smash Bros commercial, but I clearly remember knowing who Mario was at the time.

The other earliest memory I have is playing Super Mario All-Stars on my dad's SNES emulator.

Edit: my first Nintendo system was the Game Boy Advance. My first Mario game for it was Game & Watch Gallery 4, but I didn't really start getting into Mario until I got Luigi's Mansion on GameCube. To this day, that's still my favorite game.

My first experience with Mario was when my Grandma had a Nintendo 64, and we would sit together and play Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. That was back in 2006. In 2007, I got familiar with Mario Kart 64 and played it everyday with my brother. Even some friends came over and played it with me. In 2009, I started becoming a big-time Mario fan when Christmas came and got a Wii and Mario Kart Wii. You could tell that Mario Kart was my best favorite. Then finally, in 2014, I got the bundle of the Wii-U and Mario Kart 8. What a big history I had! I almost forgot about it until I wrote this.

My family had an NES before I was born, so when I was a baby I'd watch grandpa play Donkey Kong Classcis and mom play Super Mario Bros., Dr. Mario and Wrecking Crew. I have no idea which of these I witnessed first.

Playing Mario Paint and Super Mario World at my first day in Kindergarten.

Mister Wu said:
How could you surivve the Big Boo's Haunt????? That Mad Piano should have stopped your heart!
I was aware of it probably after watching my brother go through that level. In subsequent playthroughs in Super Mario 64 DS, I just walked very slowly through the room, which, I guess, was what you're supposed to do in the first place if you need that red coin. But curse that red coin.

The Mad Piano was startling, yes, but not creepy, to the point where it gives nightmares.

Redeads and Gibdos from the Legend of Zelda games were the scary ones that absolutely made me not watch my bro play through the Well and Shadow Temple, that's how scared of them I were.

Baby Luigi said:
The Mad Piano was startling, yes, but not creepy, to the point where it gives nightmares.

Redeads and Gibdos from the Legend of Zelda games were the scary ones that absolutely made me not watch my bro play through the Well and Shadow Temple, that's how scared of them I were.

idk man those wallmasters freak me out way more

Those were scary and I was scared of seeing them as a child, but man, they're not as bad as those aforementioned two enemies, as they literally gave me pretty horrible nightmares.

There's three main stages of my introduction to the Mario series I remember, and I've probably mentioned these before but hopefully I haven't described them exactly in the way I am about to here:

Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 on my friend's NES, my memories are rather unclear since I was really young (3 or 4) but I do very much remember the sprites and overall art style and maybe subconsciously becoming rather attached to them. I especially liked the way the Goomba's sprites in Mario 3 look like the exact thing you'd want to step on as a little kid and finding it really satisfying to stomp on them and see the squashed sprite.

Then there's Mario Kart 64 at another friend's house. First of all the reason I liked Yoshi to begin with because he was that elusive OP character that I never got to play as because P1's cursor starts directly above it while P2 is to the side, and my friend was a 5 year old jerk back then and never let me play as Yoshi and would always win. I certainly played it enough to play every course as Mario because, well, he's on the box and I didn't have a clue who anyone else was. Royal Raceway was definitely my favorite course if only because you could drive around Peach's Castle even though I had no idea what it was at the time, but it's why I was legitimately angry when they got rid of that in Mario Kart 8. Back then it kind of looked like the back of the kart made a face what with the two muffler tips and the horizontal bars in the frame, especially with Bowser. I used to think that was the reason you'd spin out if you drive into the back of Bowser too fast and you know, not because of the spikes or that he's larger and therefore can knock other racers around with ease.

Then Mario Kart DS which was the first Mario game I properly owned when I was probably 7 or 8. I remember freaking out when it had tracks from 64 that I recognized but was a little bummed that it didn't have all 16, particularly Royal Raceway. But there were 28 other tracks that I loved to explore and race through, occasionally coming across little oddities such as jumping out of bounds on GCN Luigi Circuit which I enjoyed discovering.

My mom gave me a DS for my 7th birthday, then my grandmother gave me Mario kart DS. Before i got appendicitis in November, the only ones i remember are MKDS and SM64DS.

Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong on my dad's Famicom when I was 4. Bonus for me recognizing Mario, especially his head and mustache in Pinball (NES) and Tennis (NES).

And got into the Mario series since I played Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. on my DSi in 2009; and Mario Kart Wii in 2010.

Mine would be SMG. It really gave me a good first impression.

My trusty cousin showed me New Super Mario Bros. And that's how I got interested in Mario. I got a Nintendo DSI XL 6 years ago and still have it, my first Mario game was Mario Kart DS. So ever since 2009, I was and still interested in Mario, Luigi, Boo, and all that, but as the years went by, I also got interested in other series, such as Kirby, Smash Bros., Angry Birds, and Minecraft. If this never happened I wouldn't even be on this site lol.

I don't remember my first experience. My brother had a NES and Super Mario Bros for as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories though, was playing with my brother he was Mario and I was Luigi. In the original SMB, Luigi didn't get a turn until Mario died, so I waited patiently for that to happen. In the end my brother ended up beating the game in a single life before I got to play. It sucked pretty hard. :<

Oh, and at some point my Mum knitted me a jumper with Luigi because I liked Luigi and she is the best Mum.

Me and my dad used to play SMB like crazy when I was a kid. He was pretty good considering he is not really in videogames. And that doesn't explain why I don't like it now though.

Back 5 years ago, I got New Super Mario Bros. Wii for my birthday. After that I started playing other games in this series.

Back