Collab: Articles for All of the Levels

That's what perplexes me. I mean, some levels of these levels are exactly the same, just with a slightly different star to grab (the Green Stars) while others, like the Purple Coins, can be pretty different

Why did I miss all these posts? My sister has got to stop browsing new posts under my name since I have no idea at a glance if there are new posts in this thread.

Walkazo said:
SMS world pages already have the Blue Coin locations (example (Sirena_Beach#Blue_Coin_Locations)), and those could be added to the applicable levels as well, I guess?
Blue Coins don't work the same way though; Blue Coins are an important collectible in Sunshine, but Blue Coins in Super Mario 64 are just 5 coins. You can also get Blue Coins from killing a few enemies like Piranha Plants and those book people, if I recall correctly. There are also Blue Coin switches which are just like blocks, but I don't know if that's a good idea to list specific locations for those if they aren't already in the locations article.

Pi said:
What do we do with other comet missions (Speed Run, Daredevil, Fast Foes, Cosmic Race, Purple Coins, Double Speed, Cosmic Clones)? Do we just include those in the regular level articles they're based on? What if there is no mission they're based on, or at least none that's very easy to easily decide: yes, this is what the mission is based on?
Comet missions should get their own subsection. Just list it was "blue comet mission" or something as a subsection.

Pi said:
Before I start going crazy on Good Egg Galaxy, should I write 'Mario or Luigi' or 'the player'?

On the topic of navtemplates, I feel like making {{SM64 Missions}} that lists all missions wouldn't be too bad (just look at Template:SM3DL Levels), and I'll get on creating that tomorrow.
I think "Mario" works better because the English language doesn't have a handy pronoun that everyone agrees on, but with "Mario or Luigi", you can use "he him his". But whatever floats your Jolly Roger boat. :fancy:

And what do we do with the secret stars that are obtained after deviating from the main path? For missions like Matter Splatter Mansion in Ghostly Galaxy, it makes no sense to include that in the A Very Spooky Sprint article since the deviation happens immediately on the starting planet, but for others, where the deviation is very slight, like the Green Star mission in Battlerock Galaxy and the secret star of Hightail Falls Galaxy, it makes no sense to split them into separate articles.

What do we do? We have to keep this consistent, otherwise navigating these articles is going to be ... pretty bad.

Doesn't really matter the extent of how they deviate. We can just create a separate article and focus on the deviation. I've done this for The Secret of Buoy Base earlier, which deviates... well, you have to find it first, but it's right on the starting planetoid, so at least that's a precedent to fall back on.

And actually, I take back that other stance on the comet mission. I recalled incorrectly that the missions don't have a unique name, but they actually do, so we should create articles on those, too.

Green Star missions don't have a unique name so there's that.

I've already separated Catch that Star Bunny solely because it has a unique name so *shrugs*

So in Super Mario Galaxy 2, we just have to create subsections in the main galaxy article, because you can't really fit them elsewhere. If the Green Star also happens to be exclusive to a mission, then we can list that in the mission article itself.

e.g. The Milky Way Galaxy has a Green Star, but it's found only in "The Amazing Milkshake!", then The Milky Way Galaxy and The Amazing Milkshake! would get a section on the Green Star. If you can find the Green Star in any mission, only The Milky Way Galaxy will get a section.

Dr. Mario said:
Pi said:
What do we do with other comet missions (Speed Run, Daredevil, Fast Foes, Cosmic Race, Purple Coins, Double Speed, Cosmic Clones)? Do we just include those in the regular level articles they're based on? What if there is no mission they're based on, or at least none that's very easy to easily decide: yes, this is what the mission is based on?
Comet missions should get their own subsection. Just list it was "blue comet mission" or something as a subsection.
I don't think that's particularly fair: there are some comets that are just "this area but with one life" or "this whole mission but with fast enemies", sure, but there are also comets that are radically different than the other missions, to the point where you'd basically be covering separate levels in the same article. At the very least, a blanket policy isn't the right plan.

Sorry, but Template:SMG2Levels looks terrible (waaay too much empty space - the wiki needs to look presentable at 1024 px, and this is not presentable) - plus it has incorrect naming conventions (there's lots of bad stuff floating around that's not worth fixing, but going foreward, at least with with the basic "acronym SPACE whetever" format instead of awkward mashes of letters and words). I already explained pretty clearly how we should be doing the SMG templates, by modifying the existing templates:

Walkazo said:
I feel like for the galaxies, it'd probably work to put the mission names as bulleted entries below the bolded galaxy names, and switch the template to be left-justified with only the galaxy names and headers manually centered. To see a quick example (since I don't have time to make a bigger mock-up right now), just replace the Good Egg Galaxy part of Template:Galaxy with:

Code:
|style="background:#ccccff;text-align:left"|<center>'''[[Good Egg Galaxy]]'''</center>
*{{fakelink|Dino Pianha}}
*{{fakelink|A Snack of Cosmic Proportions}}
*{{fakelink|King Kaliente's Battle Fleet}}

For more linear games (and potentially SMS since it only has a few areas), regular level nav templates along the lines of Template:SMW Levels would probably be fine, and games with only a few levels or easily compacted level lists (i.e. numeric) could possibly be kept within the overall game nav template (i.e. Template:WL3 has all the levels, Template:SML could handle the levels, and Template:SMB1 Levels could conceivably fit into Template:SMB too, but that's only because the games overall have few pages to link, so more often than not, separate templates will probably be needed).

And since that wasn't good enough to even get acknowledged much less heeded, here's the in-progress template (I only did the first row as of this posting since I wanted to put the brakes on the the other template asap, but I'll keep working on it):

User:Walkazo/Essays#Template:Galaxy2

Double-posting to make sure this is seen...

So the new design for Template:Galaxy2 is finished (except the Green Star section-links, since it's not finalized what we're doing with them? I also just have asterisks for the comets, but we might want a nicer symbol down the road, like this sorta thing (Template:MASATOWG), but topical - and small), and I deleted the other template attempt.

Dr. Mario said:
One of us should really work on the navtemplates too, but for Galaxy's case, I think I'm going to put level names in the Galaxies navbox instead.
Feel free to do Template:Galaxy. I only did Galaxy2 because I wanted to head off the other attempt before it had too much time sunk into it and/or got plastered everywhere. Hopefully they won't try to poach the other template too. The coding can be copied from Galaxies2, and it's pretty fast filling in the missions: just copy them out of the infoboxes on the galaxy articles and add link stuff.

Walkazo said:
Feel free to do Template:Galaxy. I only did Galaxy2 because I wanted to head off the other attempt before it had too much time sunk into it and/or got plastered everywhere. Hopefully they won't try to poach the other template too. The coding can be copied from Galaxies2, and it's pretty fast filling in the missions: just copy them out of the infoboxes on the galaxy articles and add link stuff.
I'm going to do this today.

EDIT: This is now done.

Pi said:
Walkazo said:
I'm going to do this today.

EDIT: This is now done.
I was actually offering the job to LGM since she specifically stated interest in the "put[ting] level names in the Galaxies navbox" job before Roy Koopa jumped on the first template... Oh well, I guess as long as the work's done, that's the main thing that matters...

Anyway, I fixed the coding, and added the Prankster Comet indicator asterisks and whatnot.

Baby Luigi said:
Any more tweaks that need to be done for Cosmic Cove Galaxy?
Looks good, but I tweaked the Green Star chart (Cosmic_Cove_Galaxy#Green_Stars), since just having the level names there below the "Green Star #"s was confusing imo. I also changed the width stuff a bit to be fixed (rather than a percentage, and hug the images which looks better than having white buffers in wide screens) and streamlined the text centering coding. I figured it'd be easier to just make the changes on the page rather than a test page or by posting the coding here. Feel free to change the "Mission" header to something more descriptive - I wasn't 100% sure what to do with it.

Pi said:
A Snack of Cosmic Proportions is now up. I think we should include galleries of the planets in the 'planets visited' section instead of just a list of planets since that's more informative. What does everyone think about this?
Sounds good; it helps flesh the page out more too.

Time Turner said:
Dr. Mario said:
Pi said:
I don't think that's particularly fair: there are some comets that are just "this area but with one life" or "this whole mission but with fast enemies", sure, but there are also comets that are radically different than the other missions, to the point where you'd basically be covering separate levels in the same article. At the very least, a blanket policy isn't the right plan.

LeftyGreenMario]And actually said:
Sorry, but Template:SMG2Levels looks terrible (waaay too much empty space - the wiki needs to look presentable at 1024 px, and this is not presentable) - plus it has incorrect naming conventions (there's lots of bad stuff floating around that's not worth fixing, but going foreward, at least with with the basic "acronym SPACE whetever" format instead of awkward mashes of letters and words).

That is pretty horrible. I went cross-eyed figuring out which goes where.

Pi said:
I sincerely apologise, LGM. I was not intending to snipe that. Feel free to do King Kaliente's Battle Fleet (which was something I had planned to do) or something if you wish.
It's all right. I'm sure it's a miscommunication issue, so I'm sure you didn't mean it.
2e95c9692f656d6cacedf65268dc2be2.jpg
I just hope other things I do won't get poached, and I think that's partially the reason I got started on Buoy Base rather than Good Egg.

I can't waste my energy being bitter here when I'm still really bitter about that Pink Donkey Kong Jr. split I had really wanted to do.

Pi said:
A Snack of Cosmic Proportions is now up. I think we should include galleries of the planets in the 'planets visited' section instead of just a list of planets since that's more informative. What does everyone think about this?
Good idea. Because... why not? And while we're at it, why not galleries of the enemies themselves too?

Pi said:

Why don't we do that for all lists, including the enemies too?

Walkazo said:
Looks good, but I tweaked the Green Star chart (Cosmic_Cove_Galaxy#Green_Stars), since just having the level names there below the "Green Star #"s was confusing imo. I also changed the width stuff a bit to be fixed (rather than a percentage, and hug the images which looks better than having white buffers in wide screens) and streamlined the text centering coding. I figured it'd be easier to just make the changes on the page rather than a test page or by posting the coding here. Feel free to change the "Mission" header to something more descriptive - I wasn't 100% sure what to do with it.

Thanks a bunch for those edits. I think the Mission header is fine, though, in my opinion.

Pi said:
I sincerely apologise, LGM. I was not intending to snipe that. Feel free to do King Kaliente's Battle Fleet (which was something I had planned to do) or something if you wish.
I did it. I hope I met or exceeded your expectations. The source content could actually use an expansion and a minor rewrite.

Dr. Mario said:
Pi said:
I did it. I hope I met or exceeded your expectations. The source content could actually use an expansion and a minor rewrite.
Super amazing. You indeed exceeded my expectations.

Baby Luigi said:
Pi said:
Why don't we do that for all lists, including the enemies too?
No, that's getting way too excessive.

It makes sense since the planets are conjecturally named and people might not know what we're talking about in some of the more abstract cases, but most readers should know what the enemies/items/etc. are. Lists are also a lot easier to deal with for making sure articles are arranged and spaced in a way that looks good on computers of varying widths: one gallery is fine, two or more, and/or charts everywhere, is getting messy, and starts to look more like padding than anything else (in the case of numerous galleries). It'll also drive up loading times, and the fact that there will need to be a mix of screenshots and artwork for enemies looks terrible. Plus, if we do photographic enemy/etc. lists for the missions, we'd conceivably have to start doing them for every level article of every game for consistency, and that is not a standard I am keen to set for the wiki at all.

Pi said:
The tense flops around a lot ("will x" is future tense and we tend to stay away from that), but besides that it looks great.

Time Turner said:
Pi said:
The tense flops around a lot ("will x" is future tense and we tend to stay away from that), but besides that it looks great.
Should present tense only be used, then?

I'm getting a bit stuck trying to make a template for the 64 levels. The missions aren't divided into neat sections like Galaxy 2, so I've tried looked for new options. The way Yoshi's Island handles levels (Template:YIDS Levels) is tempting, but it always looked really empty to me. Any thoughts?

Back