Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2

It would feel different and weird.

Don't be outraged Angel, this is all people's different opinions.

Angelxmoore said:
Boo moon and haunty halls are way better than ghostly galaxy.
In all honesty, I disagree.

Angelxmoore said:
I'm outraged.
Best themes? Cosmic cove would beat space junk. The theme is way better and that place has more exploration!
Puzzle planks theme? Boo moon and haunty halls are way better than ghostly galaxy. More diverse use of the comets with better minigames. Space storm beats battlerock by a long shot! There is boss blitz, heck Starshinebeach! Beats the theme of beach bowl and is more visually appealing! Nostalgia anyone? Throwback galaxy, nostalgia part 2. And the ending of slimy springs? Good God. Galaxy 2, hands down.
Remember, this is opinion. I respect all yours.
You don't have to be mad to respect our opinions. You can disagree though, but don't be mad. It's nothing personal after all.

Yeah, sorry about that. Honestly wasn't thinking while I was writing. Not mad actually, but I don't knowant why I got riled over something I defend. Once again, sorry guys.

The first Super Mario Galaxy is my second favorite game of all time, so that one. I do still like two though.

ok so another reason galaxy 2 pisses me off is that so much of its content is just copy pasted from other games

peewee piranha? it's just dino piranha without a tail

haunty halls/boo moon galaxy? oh look it's ghostly galaxy (they even reused the damn background)

slipsand galaxy (or whatever it's called) is dusty dune, even reused some planets from galaxy 1

throwback galaxy? whomp's fortress (admittedly this was pretty cool but still)

twisty trials is just a bonus level from mario sunshine, wow original

shiverburn galaxy? GEE THIS SEEMS FAMILIAR

boss blitz galaxy is just "fight 5 bosses from galaxy 1"

stone cyclone/mario squared galaxy = HEY GUYS LET'S TAKE PLANETS FROM THE FIRST GAME AND MAKE THEM INTO GALAXIES

space storm galaxy is bouy base minus water

puzzle plank galaxy has the "boss" from honeyhive with the two mandibugs on top of each other, and bugaboom as a mission as well iirc

not to mention the removal of the ice flower, like what the fuck that was such a cool (no pun intended) powerup to use

personally id just go with the first one since a lot of the 2nd game seems kinda, boring in many aspects, especially the difficulty.

While the clould jump powerup was nice, not much going for it.

yoshi was a good attempt but its still nowhere near as fun as the likes of the 2d games.

I also feel most of the soundtrack is much worse too, good example how the rainbow ride remix is just awful and ear grating.

Although i dont care much for the series in general.

While the soundtrack in galaxy 1 was nice and getting all stars was more rewarding in previous installments, the game is also much smaller and less exploorative and stupdily easier than sm64 and sunshine.

While there are areas that seem to have difficulty you often find these areas to be more annoying than difficult due to bad controls or obnoxious gimicks.

Also the game series seem to have the tradation of pathetic boss fights, which doesnt hold much interest for me when it comes down to boss fights like nintendo has done before(like super metroid bosses).

But overall galaxy 1 is much better than 2 since 2 just feels like a very expensive expansion and the serious lack of interest of rosalina and world design makes 2 a massive snore.

Marie said:
ok so another reason galaxy 2 pisses me off is that so much of its content is just copy pasted from other games

haunty halls/boo moon galaxy? oh look it's ghostly galaxy (they even reused the damn background)

slipsand galaxy (or whatever it's called) is dusty dune, even reused some planets from galaxy 1

stone cyclone/mario squared galaxy = HEY GUYS LET'S TAKE PLANETS FROM THE FIRST GAME AND MAKE THEM INTO GALAXIES

puzzle plank galaxy has the "boss" from honeyhive with the two mandibugs on top of each other, and bugaboom as a mission as well iirc

not to mention the removal of the ice flower, like what the fuck that was such a cool (no pun intended) powerup to use
I think Galaxy 2 is trying to pay homage to these things i don't think any of these are lazy design although i think it pays a bit too much homage rather than being its own thing

that being said when galaxy 2 is it's own thing, it's done very well. it's just a shame they it does try draw quite a few comparisons to the first with a lot of it's stages (i could list plenty of examples)

i just find it odd that this particular community seems to ot be that big on galaxy 2 while elsewhere it's loved

homeages arent really supposed to be present through most of the game lol

Marie said:

haunty halls/boo moon galaxy? oh look it's ghostly galaxy (they even reused the dang background)

not to mention the removal of the ice flower, like what the *bleep* that was such a cool (no pun intended) powerup to use
Everything you have stated is a fair point. But imagine having to design 49 whole new galaxies. It takes a lot to design 49 new galaxies and if some are copied from Galaxy 1, it's fine! It wasn't 100% taken. The missions were changed and the designs were changed and that is what made it new and fun to play. What about the new bosses they added? Sorbetti, Gobblegut, among others. Just to name a few galaxies that were creative in their own way and not taken from Galaxy 1 is: Hightail falls, Cosmic Cove, Slimy Spring, boulder bowl, Wild Glide, Fleet Glide, Supermassive, Flipsville, Clockwork Ruins, Chompworks, Battle Belt, Flash Back, Boss Blitz, Grandmaster, and a few others. They did pretty good job with these galaxies.

It may take a lot to design 49 new galaxies, but they did it in 1, didn't they? But, there are some unique galaxies and those are nice.

Honestly? I don't even view Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 as separate games. I just view them as two games on one disc that has Super Mario Galaxy on the A side of the disc and Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the B side of the disc. The connotation that the A side of the disc is better than the B side of the disc doesn't even apply here. The "virgin" effect is strong with these games insofar as they're very similar games, and there's no disproving this in the slightest.

Stargazing said:
It may take a lot to design 49 new galaxies, but they did it in 1, didn't they? But, there are some unique galaxies and those are nice.
True, but if they created some galaxies in Galaxy 1, people won't be accusing them of copying and pasting from other games, but if a sequel to a game came out and some elements were "taken," people will accuse the latter for taking some ideas from the first. Galaxy 2 was harder to make because they had to make 49 new galaxies without trying to rip off from the first game.

I'm pretty indifferent on what galaxy games I prefer. I kind of agree with pi while even though they technically are different games, there's not enough difference between them for me to have a preference.

One thing I can say is that spring Mario is one of the worst power ups.

Angelxmoore said:
Stargazing said:
True, but if they created some galaxies in Galaxy 1, people won't be accusing them of copying and pasting from other games, but if a sequel to a game came out and some elements were "taken," people will accuse the latter for taking some ideas from the first. Galaxy 2 was harder to make because they had to make 49 new galaxies without trying to rip off from the first game.

doesnt really matter if they design 49 new galaxies and they all feel like the same thing.

There are hardly any differences in the two games and again, the second game just feels like an expansion, a bad and very expensive expansion at that.

Simply as a sequel it doesnt do the right things it needs to do, its too similar and an doesnt have many new functions and doesnt really feel like you're playing a new game.

Thats the point of a new game, something immensely different, a new direction.

This has been demonstrated through sm64, sms, and galaxy, sure they have 3d perspectives and jumping, but also contain vastly designed new gameplay styles and act nothing like the previous incarnations, which makes seen as good sequels.

Marie said:
not to mention the removal of the ice flower, like what the *bleep* that was such a cool (no pun intended) powerup to use
Flying_Mario_Artwork.jpg

To be very fair, the only remarkable improvement Galaxy 2 had over the first one was the Co-Star Luma.

I have been lucky enough to play both, but I would have to say that Galaxy I is probably better just because of it's original ideas and gameplay. Galaxy II introduced some neat concepts such as Yoshi and new and improved galaxies, but I didn't like the world map that much. But I still stand with my unpopular opinion that Sunshine trumps them both :P

advanafire said:
I have been lucky enough to play both, but I would have to say that Galaxy I is probably better just because of it's original ideas and gameplay. Galaxy II introduced some neat concepts such as Yoshi and new and improved galaxies, but I didn't like the world map that much. But I still stand with my unpopular opinion that Sunshine trumps them both :P

oh man im with ya, i love sunshine and simply think galaxy games are just big step downs compared to it.

Marie said:

haunty halls/boo moon galaxy? oh look it's ghostly galaxy (they even reused the dang background)

Oh man I can't agree less

Also, Shiverburn Galaxy has basically baby King Kaliente, I mean, Prince Pikante

Freezy Flake is FreezeFlame 1.5 with Shiverburn being FreezeFlame 2.0

Diggaleg is just a smaller Megaleg

Rodollio is basically Peewee Piranha (who is like Dino Piranha) except you use the rock ability to kill him

Starshine Galaxy is basically Beach Bowl except it's empty

Crap, NONE of the boss fights from Galaxy 2 were memorable.

Also, this game has a *bleep*load of 2.5D levels. Um, you know, I'm playing a ---ing 3D platformer, not a 2.5D platformer. I want, you know, 3D LEVELS godammit

One more thing, about the whole "homages" deal, yes, it could be homages but there are far more subtle ways you can pay homage to the first game. This game basically rubs it in your face, in bright flashing lights and colors, and screams at you that it's a sequel to Galaxy 1.

Baby Luigi said:
Marie said:

Oh man I can't agree less

Also, Shiverburn Galaxy has basically baby King Kaliente, I mean, Prince Pikante

Freezy Flake is FreezeFlame 1.5 with Shiverburn being FreezeFlame 2.0

Diggaleg is just a smaller Megaleg

Rodollio is basically Peewee Piranha (who is like Dino Piranha) except you use the rock ability to kill him

Starshine Galaxy is basically Beach Bowl except it's empty

Crap, NONE of the boss fights from Galaxy 2 were memorable.

Also, this game has a *bleep*load of 2.5D levels. Um, you know, I'm playing a ---ing 3D platformer, not a 2.5D platformer. I want, you know, 3D LEVELS godammit
Ah, but those were the galaxies they gained inspiration from. Not copied. Also, Starshine had a more sunshine nostalgia and I think Freezy Flakes is on its own. Just because it's a ice world doesn't necessarily mean it copied off of freezeflame just because it's ice. And those were only a few galaxies thay galaxy 2 was inspired off of. What about the other galaxies that were created on its own?

Back