#DKCrevealed

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Forum Moderator
Wiki Bureaucrat
Core 'Shroom Staff
I've been retweeting some of this stuff on the wiki's twitter feed, but for the benefit of those not following that: Rare employee and DKC lead designer Gregg Mayles has recently posted on his twitter account a lot of development documents for the original Donkey Kong Country, and it's stuff that's never been out in the public before. These includes rare renders, concept art, faxed pictures by Shigeru Miyamoto, and most interesting of all, a design document for a very early incarnation of Donkey Kong Country!

There's more where that came from.
 

Mario's Painting

HEY LUIGI, WHAT'S DA HOLDAAAAAAP!!!?
For those who want DK Junior back, DK Jr. has always been around. :diddy:
 

Toa 95

95 Enterprises
Wiki Administrator
Threek said:
Those Kremlings look very Battletoads-esque.
They were originally designed as enemies for a Battletoads game before being phased into DKC.
 

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Forum Moderator
Wiki Bureaucrat
Core 'Shroom Staff

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
I also thought the proto-Kremlings look like Battletoad characters, and looks like someone's beaten me to the punch on this observation.

It's kind of surreal to see the transition between old Donkey Kong and the Donkey Kong we know today, especially that picture of old Donkey Kong in a necktie. Although I prefer Donkey Kong's current design, I admit that old Donkey Kong looks pretty classy in a necktie. It really gives Donkey Kong an identity that makes him stand out better compared to his formerly naked self.

I heard stories on how DK Jr's design looked too different, so it's nice to see some enlightenment on this subject. He really looks like Diddy! Now I can understand why they wanted him to be a different character. Interesting to see that Diddy's shirt remained from this transition. Now I need to see Diddy with the Rare logo on his cap (which is another design choice that was originally planned).

Thanks for reading.
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
winstein said:
It's kind of surreal to see the transition between old Donkey Kong and the Donkey Kong we know today, especially that picture of old Donkey Kong in a necktie. Although I prefer Donkey Kong's current design, I admit that old Donkey Kong looks pretty classy in a necktie. It really gives Donkey Kong an identity that makes him stand out better compared to his formerly naked self.

Thanks for reading.

I always wondered where he got the tie.
 

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Magikrazy said:
winstein said:
It's kind of surreal to see the transition between old Donkey Kong and the Donkey Kong we know today, especially that picture of old Donkey Kong in a necktie. Although I prefer Donkey Kong's current design, I admit that old Donkey Kong looks pretty classy in a necktie. It really gives Donkey Kong an identity that makes him stand out better compared to his formerly naked self.

Thanks for reading.

I always wondered where he got the tie.
Forgotten that Donkey Kong 94 gave Donkey Kong that tie. Somehow I overlooked this.

Thanks for reading.
 

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Forum Moderator
Wiki Bureaucrat
Core 'Shroom Staff
u now u edit wikis too much when your reaction to this image is an insatiable desire to know who the hell is Slinky??????????
 

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Forum Moderator
Wiki Bureaucrat
Core 'Shroom Staff
Nevermind the concept art, some of these tweets (such as that level map or that chart with ideas for the barrel) provide a rare (and very cool) sneak peek the production process

Is that Klasp in the lower-left corner?
 

KingMario128

Hi Guys!
Glowsquid said:
Nevermind the concept art, some of these tweets (such as that level map or that chart with ideas for the barrel) provide a rare (and very cool) sneak peek the production process

Is that Klasp in the lower-left corner?
Yep, i think so....i remember the "kremlings" were originaly a Battletoads Villains, for they give the to DK because they fits better.... but the beta desings still very battletoad-ish
 

Mario's Painting

HEY LUIGI, WHAT'S DA HOLDAAAAAAP!!!?
Huh, a fight between two of my favorite punching bags.

This will end well.
 

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Forum Moderator
Wiki Bureaucrat
Core 'Shroom Staff
Gregg Mayles is now doing a similar thing for DKC 2, under the hashtag #DKCis20. So far he's revealed Dixie was initially named "Didianne"...



... and various horrible subtitles they had considered...






I remembered List of Donkey Kong Country pre-release and unused content hasn't been updated to reflect this stuff. Is anyone up to the challenge?
 

Mario's Painting

HEY LUIGI, WHAT'S DA HOLDAAAAAAP!!!?
Glowsquid said:
... and various horrible subtitles they had considered...

I love a lot of these names.

Pi said:
time to create a whole bunch of new redirects then :yoshi:
Dibs on "Diddy & Diddy in a Dress" and "Diddy's Desperate Search for a Good Name for his Game". :fancy:
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
The ones with asterisks are probably the ones they were seriously considering, since they're the more logical names and the one that made it is among them.
 
Top