A first person Mario game

supermariofan

Dry Bowser
How amazing would it be if Nintendo jumped on the first person bandwagon and did that with Mario? I don't mean first person shooter but a Mario game in first person with these unique first person cutscenes would be pretty cool.

What would your ideal first-person Mario game would work though? It doesn't have to be first-person shooter, sure, but, uh you have any ideas as well?

I mean, I'd like a first-person Mario shooter that mixes up the first-person shooter genre a bit, but, uh...

Just as long as you can beat the crap out of Wario, I'd support.

What if it was like Metroid Prime where you could explore the Mushroom Kingdom from a first person perspective?

2257 said:
Lumastar said:
If they did it right a first-person Mario platformer could be huge. Of course I still hope they would allow third-person as well if possible.

a first person platformer? you'd be slipping off the edges of things constantly
i'd like to think of quantum conundrum which had puzzles AND platforming in first person and was impossible to navigate

that said mirror's edge did a pretty good job at platforming

if you've ever watched vinny play fantabulous game you know how bad of an idea first person platforming is

then again that entire game was a joke so maybe i'm wrong

Platforming in a first-person perspective could work if done well (Portal and Mirror's Edge come to mind), but there's a fine line between being good and being unplayable, and part of that comes down to the game's focus. In Mirror's Edge, Portal, and Mario platformers, the goal is ostensibly to reach the end of the level, but Mario games have power-ups, enemies on every plane, shiny things to grab, and a lot of other things that would simply be too distracting if they were to be retooled for a first-person experience.

Meh I just want the first person driving feature to return in later Mario Kart games

Hm, how about a sequel to Yoshi's Safari? That's one first-person Mario game that has actually been done.

and make that actually an fps rather than an on-rails shooter :P

It could be a game similar to Geograph Seal on the Sharp X68000 and Jumping Flash! on the Sony PlayStation 1.

and

Super Mario 3D Land would look really amazing in 1st Person if they ever update it as an alternative feature (like pressing the up button to get 1st person in Mario Kart 7.) Especially in the Final Bowser Battle.

Not sure how I feel about this. It might be taking the role of the player "assuming Mario" a bit too far. I think a lot of charm and precision would be sacrificed by looking through a camera instead of seeing Mario jumping around.

..Nah, as fun as Yoshi's Safari was, I can't see this working.

Mario Party also has some first person minigames but none of them involved platforming.

Not that I could ever see it happening, but would a first-person Mario platformer be any better if it were being played with the Oculus Rift?

Chloe Beale said:
Not that I could ever see it happening, but would a first-person Mario platformer be any better if it were being played with the Oculus Rift?
Nah, I'd rather use the Virtual Boy.

Now THAT's a system that needs to be revived. I'm still upset we never got Virtual Boy Mario Land.

Wut

The Virtual Boy is a piece of ----.

The Oculus Rift is far more advanced than it.

Not my fault if you end up with a case of eyestrain

Back