Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

The Ultimate Mario Fan said:
This sports game got me thinking...What is the likelihood we'll see Mobile Golf on the 3DS Virtual Console? Do percentages go into the negatives?
Let's see:

1. Based on what I've heard and seen (not much to be far) it seems to borrow a lot from the other GBC Mario Golf game.
2. The game was only released in Japan.
3. A major part of the game focused on an accessory that appears to be pretty obsolete.
4. I don't know how well it did in Japan, but I know outside of it the game is pretty obscure. Very little appears to be known about it.

In conclusion, while it's not impossible don't expect to see it on there, let alone outside Japan.

Magikrazy said:
Do percentages go into the negatives?
Not usually, but in this case, yes.

That still doesn't make any sense.

Maybe probability models are different in Nintendo developer world.

I actually played through it and I do own the cellphone adapter (but that doesn't work anymore). It was a really fun game and would be nice to play on my imported Japanese NTT Mario 3DS.

Lumastar said:
I actually played through it and I do own the cellphone adapter (but that doesn't work anymore). It was a really fun game and would be nice to play on my imported Japanese NTT Mario 3DS.
Do you still own the game? I really want to know more about the game, and I'm sure others would as well.
Of course! I currently own all Mario games save a few exceptions like All-Night Nippon, Super Mario no Sweater, Mario Bros. Special, and Mario Family. If you'd rather not wade through collection pics then I have my whole game collection cataloged here.

(While the game can readily be emulated online, I don't approve of that practice.)

I'm actually excited for this. It was the only thing that got me excited from that god-awful E3 presentation. I'm a huge Mario Tennis fan; I loved 64 and Open, even though I hated Power Tennis.

Sadly, the Mega Mushroom gimmick doesn't sound too convincing. I'm sure that we will have to use it in the Tournament Mode, which will be the way to get most of the unlockable characters.

Speaking of which, I really don't care about who they add, as long as they do NOT add the goddamn Koopalings. I hate those things so much. They aren't even special and why they got in both Mario Kart 8 AND Smash 4 is beyond me.

I might as well make my own roster.

1 ) Mario
2 ) Luigi
3 ) Peach
4 ) Daisy
5 ) Yoshi
6 ) Birdo
7 ) Rosalina (*)
8 ) Luma (*)
9 ) Toad
10 ) Toadette (*)
11 ) Baby Mario
12 ) Baby Luigi (*)
13 ) Baby Peach
14 ) Baby Daisy (*)
15 ) Koopa Troopa
16 ) Paratroopa (*)
17 ) Donkey Kong
18 ) Donkey Kong Jr. (*)
19 ) Diddy Kong
20 ) Dixie Kong (*)
21 ) Wario
22 ) Waluigi
23 ) Bowser
24 ) Bowser Jr.
25 ) Boo
26 ) Shy Guy

(*) Unlockable.

Ultra Smash is so gimmicky. Does the Mega Mushroom the main point of this game?

I would like this game if they add more power-ups such as the mini mushroom, metal box (so PGP will not be a separate character), super leaf, super bell.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge in the game.

Um, Anser, Donkey Kong Jr. is pretty much dead at this point... what about Cranky Kong?

I'd like Fly Guy instead of Boo, too...

Oh, and finally, Metal Mario should be there.

Hopefully you can turn the Mega Mushroom gimmick off. It looks OP and, uh, game interrupting

Just imagine fighting those darn star Ace computers. >_>

I kind of wish the announcer in Mario Tennis 64 returned too...

I like the current one too. Just as long as he says the character names again.

I like it too. The Mario Tennis 64 one is just a small preference. The announcer sounds more endearing in certain characters calls, like Luigi's character call... that's what I like, lol. It's as if Luigi is the announcer's younger brother or something!

Isn't the announcer Mr. Pipe?

Yeah, it definitely sounds like Mr. Pipe. Man, I really want Mr. Pipe as an announcer again... :(

The current one is fine, and besides, it changes from region to region. I like the different announcers based on language in Mario Tennis and in Smash Bros. 4.

I wonder how Rosalina will look in a sports outfit?

Oh and I hope we get another 5 minute intro involving the Wario Bros. I always love their moments in these games

I wonder if, provided she's in the game, she's even going to be in a sports outfit.

Mario Party Δ said:

Um, Anser, Donkey Kong Jr. is pretty much dead at this point... what about Cranky Kong?

I know, I know, but don't you think this is a good opportunity for him to revive? Mario Tennis 64 was his last playable appearance, over 15 years ago. I just don't see why Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong Jr can't co-exist. There's so much potential in a cousin relationship. Imagine getting a short movie of those two on an adventure like the ones they made for Pikmin someday!

Speaking of which, I think this game should take the 64 route in the way of reviving characters, pretty much like Daisy and Birdo were revived and how Waluigi was introduced. I don't know, maybe Rex?

Anser said:
Mario Party Δ said:

I know, I know, but don't you think this is a good opportunity for him to revive? Mario Tennis 64 was his last playable appearance, over 15 years ago. I just don't see why Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong Jr can't co-exist. There's so much potential in a cousin relationship. Imagine getting a short movie of those two on an adventure like the ones they made for Pikmin someday!

Speaking of which, I think this game should take the 64 route in the way of reviving characters, pretty much like Daisy and Birdo were revived and how Waluigi was introduced. I don't know, maybe Rex?
Don't forget Mouser

The game probably won't revive characters. I think it's way past that point.

Anser said:
Mario Party Δ said:

I think Diddy Kong was designed as a replacement for Donkey Kong Jr., actually, If you want Donkey Kong Jr., look no further than :diddy:,

Mario Party Δ said:
Anser said:
Mario Party Δ said:

I think Diddy Kong was designed as a replacement for Donkey Kong Jr., actually, If you want Donkey Kong Jr., look no further than :diddy:,

No no, I think you're not getting my point... I want them both. I just don't get why one has to replace the other.

I agree it would be nice to have them both, but I was looking at it realistically. That being said, color me surprised if Donkey Kong Jr. makes a triumphant return. Ever.

Back