Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

I have this game downloaded, REALLY fun and I'm enjoying it. I do like how the game offers an "easier" route but you can disable it. I also love the Boss theme as well.

But speaking of bosses, I do admit some moves are a giant pain to avoid.

I remember fighting Wendy and Roy and I didn't know that the magic ball does will one shot your characters if not dodged, but there was no hint that I saw that indicated who it was going for (so I had to hold it out for all 3 and just time as I saw fit). In that same fight I didn't know Paper Mario could get hit with the Airplane Guard. x.x

So apparently, you don't to have actually beat a boss now, you can just use a glitch to win by dying against them:

How the hell did this past testing? Just escape a mission midway through, then die at bosses to get an automatic super guide type function? That's ridiculous.

I wouldn't call that a Super Guide type function, it looks like it just escaped the tester's eyes, especially since you need to do something elaborate. Hope this glitch gets patched, it really screws the game over; also speedrunners would love it.

I still suspect that a patch on Trio Grab would already tremendously change the game glitches, as many depend on it. But of course, much more would be needed to properly fix the game...

Some more developer info

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/02/07/nintendo-and-alphadream-talk-paper-mario-rpgs-and-more.aspx

[quote author=Akira Otani]
There is a rule that the Paper Mario series is silent
[/quote]
Except that Paper Mario in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was voiced by Charles Martinet (but mostly said "oh!"), while in Super Paper Mario he even said "yeah" and "nono!", and the dialogues were built so that he had to answer like this!

i'm more used to silent paper mario

it's mostly because my first paper mario was the n64 one

Baby Luigi said:
i'm more used to silent paper mario

it's mostly because my first paper mario was the n64 one
I began with The Thousand-Year Door and the last Paper Mario game I played was Super Paper Mario (of course I played the original Paper Mario berfore Super Paper Mario), so this is probably why that line immediately caught my eyes...

By the way, now that half the Paper Mario games (the first and Sticker Star, and Paper Jam as well) use stuttering motion of the characters and two of them (The Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario) use fluid motion, which kind of style of motion do you prefer? I personally prefer fluid motion, as I find many paper characters to be beautiful and I like to see every detail of their movements.

"stuttering"

Do you mean a comparison between flash-animated and frame-by-frame animation? I prefer the original's traditional animation style. It's not too stuttery as Sticker Star and Paper Jam, which uses a blend of flash and frame-by-frame, and not as robotic as the flash-animated GCN-Wii Paper Mario games.

I kinda like how SS and PJ animates their characters.

Baby Luigi said:
"stuttering"

Do you mean a comparison between flash-animated and frame-by-frame animation? I prefer the original's traditional animation style. It's not too stuttery as Sticker Star and Paper Jam, which uses a blend of flash and frame-by-frame, and not as robotic as the flash-animated GCN-Wii Paper Mario games.
I think it's something like vector animation (although I don't know if the technical name is that) vs. each frame hand drawn. In the Nintendo 64, the choice could only rely on the 2nd method, especially because the Paper characters were meant to alleviate load on the hardware.
I'm still wondering if The Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario use vector-animated sprites (like what Ubisoft has done with its Ubi Art framework) or if they use real-time vector graphics. If the second was true we could get really nice 1080p or even 4K remasters with little effort.
Sticker Star (and Paper Jam as well, since it mainly reused this game's assets) wanted to pay homage to the original and return to hand drawn frames. Which is very cool in concept, and can surely be used to create nice effect (in Mario Kart 8, for example, the closure of the eyelids is hand drawn in the case of most characters). What I was talking about were mainly some animations of Paper Mario and Paper Bowser (the latter of which became apparent in Paper Jam) in which deliberately very few frames were created, giving a visible stuttering effect.
When I saw these animations in Paper Jam I thought "hey, that's not the Paper Bowser I remembered!", but it's a stylistic choice, so no real complaint here, as the whole Paper Mario series is famous for the very distinctive aesthetics of each of its games.

Is the R button required for this game? Mine's broken, and I might get this game if there's an alternative to switching actions.

The Pyro Guy said:
Is the R button required for this game? Mine's broken, and I might get this game if there's an alternative to switching actions.
You can use the L button as well. Although using R will fast forward through the dialogue/cutscenes.

Also using L is actually the correct order. (i.e. going from Action 1 to 2 is done with L, but going from Action 1 to 3 would be done with your R.)
^Admittedly that does throw me off a bit since I'm very used to having L just reset back to Action 1 (that being your Jump).

And I can technically go fight the final boss now, but I'm gonna abstain since I'd like to achieve the final rank before going. I DO have a complaint about the game now; the locations feel pretty damn generic and as do the characters (none of the locations or characters feel memorable; the latter is pretty much generic Toads and Lakitus), the quests actually start feeling more tedious as well.

I personally prefer Dream Team over this (loved the Dream World mechanics/atmosphere and the game's moves) but it's still a fun game overall.

The Pyro Guy said:

There's a menu on the touch screen that you can tap in order to change the action icons. So no, you don't need R.

So I have this game now, and so far I've gotten through the island area.

It's fun, I really like what they did with Paper Mario's attacks. The bosses are also really cool, and I'm glad that they're using established enemies instead of making up new ones. It's a lot more fun, in my opinion.

However, some of the changes are really strange. The battle cards are kind of weird, and I still prefer the badge system from BiS. I also dislike how Mario and Luigi have exclusive Bros. Attacks (This was in Dream Team too but it still sucks). Also, why the hell did they feel the need to remove the bonus stat boost when you level up? Was it really something that needed to be removed????

I think removing it was for the best. The game is less difficult to break as a result.

I never thought the bonus stat broke anything. If anything, the biggest game breakers were the badges, which is why their Battle Card replacements don't have stuff like time freezing any more.

Lucas said:
I also dislike how Mario and Luigi have exclusive Bros. Attacks (This was in Dream Team too but it still sucks).
This design was actually in Superstar Saga before anything else; PiT and BiS just removed it.

Personally, maintaining this was a pretty good thing, I feel it limits how much you're able to repeatedly use an attack and differentiates Mario and Luigi much further (despite the removal of bonus stats), so strategies can develop their established focuses and gameplay doesn't feel as mindless in terms of attacking.

Oh yeah, forgot about Superstar Saga. Honestly, I wish they'd go back to Bros. Attacks like that, they were so much more interesting.

Well, we'll have to disagree on that one. I just prefer the flashier item like attacks in the later games to the physical ones from Superstar Saga.

Lucas said:
Oh yeah, forgot about Superstar Saga. Honestly, I wish they'd go back to Bros. Attacks like that, they were so much more interesting.
There's actually a bunch of Bros. Attacks in this game that really remind me of the ones in Superstar Saga, it's so surreal.

In case someone ever thought about making a shuriken or airplane with Paper Mario:

http://marioandluigipaperjam.nintendo.com/assets/downloads/downloads-plane-star.pdf

Wanted to ask is this game even good? My grandmother bought it for me once but I never picked it up because it felt unappealing. I mean I felt it'd never measure up to the other great Mario RPG games, so...yeah.

muddy120 said:
Wanted to ask is this game even good? My grandmother bought it for me once but I never picked it up because it felt unappealing. I mean I felt it'd never measure up to the other great Mario RPG games, so...yeah.
Trying is better than just rely on feelings in my opinion. It probably isn't on par with other great Mario & Luigi games but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be played at all!!

Back