Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Nabber said:
sameish is a good way to describe the new Mario games. they also feel kinda devoid of personality, just a bunch of levels cobbled together. i don't know much about paper jam or whatever, but it seems like they're just trying to pump out a bunch of these rpgs
Out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with the Mario RPG's (M&L or PM)?

Played most of Superstar Saga, haven't played PiT since I was a kid, beat BiS, haven't played Dream Team or this.

Played half of Paper Mario, played almost all of TTYD many times (im bad at chapter 8 okay), beat Super Paper Mario, played first two worlds of sticker star

but seriously, we've gotten three mario rpgs in the past three years

Raven said:
I just pre-ordered this game at GameStop. The cashier said it was going to be a fun game, so I hope that's true.

It's fun if you approach it with an open mind. They make good use of existing characters, and it works for this game...although I do admit I hope they don't do it again, and add new, original characters in future titles.

On another note, looks like this game has glitches in it:

https://gamingreinvented.com/news/nintendo3dsnews/massive-glitch-found-in-mario-luigi-paper-jam/

Given they can brick the game if done incorrectly, they're probably notable enough to add a glitches page for the game. As is this one:

It's been a while, but here is finally a german let's play video to show that the
Bowser/father claim
is indeed in the game and not just me BSing :
9:21
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5VZcaA4tZNo

warelander said:
It's been a while, but here is finally a german let's play video to show that the
Bowser/father claim
is indeed in the game and not just me BSing :
Which is great! (But I already saw it on Miiverse two times so I knew it was true!). Now I'm curious to know if Nintendo of Europe will try to go "damage control" on this, since the other versions are vague and not explicit (they just say Bowser instead of father), while the Japan version just says "M... Master Bowser"!
On another note, only the German Bowser could be the father of Ludwig von Koopa (and if I'm not mistaken, this is the first game where Ludwig speaks in his native language!)!

And please, notice how Lemmy pretends to be playing a guitar, directly referencing the "true" Lemmy!

I've already found a way to grind really fast in this game. I just reached up to the maximum amount of EXP that I could get at the end of a battle, being at 9,999.

Afterstormer said:
I've already found a way to grind really fast in this game. I just reached up to the maximum amount of EXP that I could get at the end of a battle, being at 9,999.

Let me guess...
Battle Cards?

Harpesian said:
Afterstormer said:

Let me guess...
Battle Cards?

Yes, actually. The double EXP card with the 50% extra EXP card is an OP combo.

There will be a "Miiting" with the developers on the 29th of January!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHk1v-T_Tw

Ugh, so many stupid Toad missions and they only get longer and more tedious as time goes.

Gamefreak75 said:
Ugh, so many stupid Toad missions and they only get longer and more tedious as time goes.

It'll be worth it though.

IMO, it's better than finding all those P'illos.

There was a Miiverse interview with the developers of the game. normally I'd copy the whole Q&A but it displays inFrench for me so. Though I think a certain faction of Mario RPG fanatics will find the answer to this question interesting:

That reminds me: In the Mario & Luigi games, there are usually lots of interesting characters who don't appear in other Mario games, but this time it seemed to be mostly main-line characters. Was this also something to do with it being a crossover?
Otani: Oh no, nothing to do with that! This time, since we had so many paper characters and doubles of the same character together, we had to prioritize moving the story forward and communicating the contrast between them. It would have been really difficult to put in original characters and work out when would be the best time for them to appear.

so basically they were against shoe-horning them for the sake of fan service

good call

Makes sense. Paper Mario doesn't have any recurring characters aside from the main cast (well, there's the Merlons, but there's no Mario & Luigi equivalent for them. Plus, it would probably be the ugly SPM versions), and the few Mario & Luigi has don't have any good Paper Mario equivalent (which makes me wonder why they bothered with Starlow).

They probably kept starlow because she's tutorial girl.

Three random things I would like to note:
  • oddily, Paper Toadette wasn't in there even though Toadette is an important character in the story. I guess this is due to the fact that the developers would have had to adapt the model from The Thousand-Year Door to the Sticker Star style used in Paper Jam.
  • regarding the Paper Koopalings "announced" by Roy and Wendy and confirmed to be in the new Paper Mario game by ShockingAlberto, I strongly suspect that they would have been in Paper Jam if Paper Mario for Wii U had been released earlier (or Paper Jam was released later, I suspect that it was Paper Jam that was given a tighter deadline).
  • finally, this message made me think:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAAADVHk3RBHHWg
I heard one fan saying "It's sad that we haven't seen Toad Town, the town outside Peach's Castle, since Bowser's Inside Story." I feel the same way. If I get to work on another game in the series, I'd like to work it in somewhere, but we've put a lot of work into this game's world nonetheless, so I hope you enjoy exploring it!
Even the developers would like "original" locations...

Magikrazy said:
Mcmadness said:
They could have used Toadsworth, who has a paper counterpart.
While this is true, I think the point is having a character that makes your main characters talk by answering "yes" and "no" and properly interacts with the other NPCs by talking. The designers probably thought that Toadsworth wouldn't have been the typical character to follow them in strange locations, not to say that he probably cannot stay in Mario's "pockets"...

Magikrazy said:
Mcmadness said:
They could have used Toadsworth, who has a paper counterpart.

makes me wonder if anyone remembered him in superstar saga.

I can only imagine where the series goes from here.

so i got this yesterday and managed to play it a little, beat the first boss and then the first papercraft battle.

Honestly... really good so far, nice music, smooth gameplay, it looks fantastic, and im liking the dialogue.

So far i havent really found any noticeable issues with the game in all honesty, liked everything ive seen so far. Certainly better then a lot of mario rpgs, thats for sure.

Back