Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

okay so what's the general consensus on this game

ive skimmed a few posts and it seems to be that the game is decent but not particularly great?

I haven't played it but from what I've personally seen I think it's better than Dream Team.

So the game's situation with original characters and references to past games is pretty interesting. It's fairly obvious that Miyamoto (or someone else) restricted Paper Jam to mainline characters and Sticker Star references only, and that AlphaDream did they best they could given that restriction. Bowser's more cunning and evil than he's ever been, Junior is a really sympathetic character, the Koopalings have dialogue and more fleshed-out personalities, etc.

I'll definitely pick up the game for the character writing alone, along with the amazing final boss.

Well, if Miyamoto really put the same restriction on story, settings and characters that were put on Sticker Star (and many elements scream that, if we consider that these developers managed to have Geno in Superstar Saga) then AlphaDream has done a pretty amazing job. It has worked around the restrictions by making Bowsers' plan more detailed than usual and giving depth to the characters who really needed it, especially the Koopalings who finally talk(but AlphaDream was known to like them, they rescued them from oblivion in Superstar Saga).
That part after the Bowsers Jr. are defeated is also a very intense and well told moment, it reminded me of Koizumi's works.

Boy, Paper Luigi reacting to the various tracks and to the Paper Toads is really nice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7JYfmEjpk

Yes! I knew they wouldn't phase out Paper Weegee. Sucks that he has such a small role and doesn't even interact with Luigi though

There is a rather interesting piece of dialogue in the german translation for the game (I checked a video, it's not in the english translation), it's a late game thing so beware of spoilers :

20swpj4.jpg

Morton says "Forgive us father....I mean...Master Bowser", since it's not in the english translation I'm quite curious what the original japanese text is, but at any rate it's interesting to see the Bowser/Koopalings relation subject acknowledged in one of the games, even if it was likely just added for flavor in translation

Walkazo said:
Cool!

What does the English version say?
"Forgive us…Bowser. I mean…Master Bowser…"

There was something strange in that sentence: why did Morton call Bowser only by his name? Now we have the likely answer: a translation mistake! Of course, I'm eagerly awaiting to find what the Japanese version says!

P.S.: if my hunch is correct, let's hope that the American English line is different so we can add the proper translation in the Wiki!

Well, this is even more intriguing than it already was, because
in the German and in the Italian version Bowser Jr., when he talks with Roy, calls Bowser "my dad", suggesting that he doesn't know that the Koopalings are actually his siblings:

but am I missing something in the Japanese version? I can't find this line:

I've played this game some more, and I think I've properly localised my main issue of this game. It's just good. It's that. Just good. It only meets up to my expectations that I can expect from a Mario series RPG. That's all it does. Superstar Saga managed to exceed my expectations. So did Bowser's Inside Story by virtue of making Bowser a protagonist. This game? This game just meets my expectations. The environments change predictably. The forest doesn't have poisonous water, which is actually the first thing that surprises me. The minigames are there. They're definitely there and they're enjoyable to play. There's nothing groundbreaking about it — they're just there. The only deviation from the norm in this series is how Paper Mario fights in battles, but even that feels like battling in the Dream world as Mario in Dream Team Bros. at times. Luckily this game isn't Bowser's Inside Story 2 like Dream Team Bros., however.

Another thing that doesn't jive well with me is how equipment in this game feels like it's completely useless. In this game, Mario, Luigi and Paper Mario have ranks. When they level up sufficiently, their ranks increase. When this happens, the player may choose an upgrade bonus. One of those upgrade bonuses is being able to equip more gear. At first, this seemed like a worthwhile endeavour, although later on I was so disappointed by the complete lack of diversity in gear and actual functionality. Indeed, gear is so inconsequential in this game that you could just purchase what maximises your stats at any point in the game and you'll be okay. In fact, most of my coins in this game have gone to purchasing Battle Cards. There are 130+ Battle Cards in this game that do various things during battle. To activate them, they first need to be in your deck that only has the capacity of storing exactly 10 Battle Cards. They are activated by consuming Star Power, a resource gained by performing well-timed attacks and such. I don't think the Battle Cards have been particularly helpful to me in any battle. It feels like another thing tacked onto the game that only makes getting everything in the game more complex. Maybe it'll prove to be useful during the extra content of the game, but during the regular game, I bet that it's going to be any useful.

I don't really know what this rant is. It's just me trying to vent some confusing and half-baked thoughts about a game I haven't finished. Maybe I'll end up doing a complete 180° later on, and nobody would be the wiser, especially not me.

I look a this game and It will be good, but Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is better since I played to this game, but It will be a lot better than Sticker Star, I own this game and I hate it. Hope someday they will come back to the time of Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Two of the most great Mario RPG.

One of the best thing in Paper Jam to me?? Ludwig and the Koopalings is in! :D

Ok, I finally found the Japanese text for that line:

Morton

ク...クッパ様(さま)

Iggy

やられ …ちゃいました…

Lemmy

ごめんなさーい…
So, as before, not that much to support those European translations (even the English one!), where do they come from?

So, for people who actually played (and have preferably beaten) the game, how does it compare to, say, dream team? I'm not expecting anything great like Partners in Time or Bowser's Inside Story, but how are the tutorials and boss battles done in this game and I guess the general feel? The battles in dream team were a pain in the ass because of all the weird gimmicky crap they tried with it, especially when you are running away from their attacks while the boss is in the background.

I've already seen the final boss, and I guess underwhelming would be the best thing I can say about it, at the moment. Note that I've only seen what the final boss is, I haven't actually seen the battle itself for obvious reasons.

The tutorials are toned down, for starters. They're not as egregious as they were in Dream Team. Hell, I think you could jump right into the game for the most part.

This game might be my favourite role for Bowser in an rpg since the original PM.

Peri Peri said:
Hellu
Just wanted to mention that beans can be farmed again
http://m.imgur.com/z2jtd9S

So, where did you get the Wellington Boots in this game? Because I plan to work on the gear/clothing list on the wiki at one point, but haven't found this gear yet.

Back