Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

I've read in that interview about Sticker Star IS was pretty enthusiastic about Miyamoto's "interference" in Sticker Star: like, they weren't tied up my Miyamoto and forced at gunpoint, they were pretty happy to make those changes

Really? Because remember that other RPG thread by that Mario & Luigi person (SuperstarSagaGuy) and SuperstarSagaGuy implied that the team doesn't like what Shigeru Miyamoto did.

Borp said:
Would it be reasonable to still consider the first three Paper Marios to be part of the rest of the series like normal, while Sticker Star onward is its own little timeline/AU/whatever you wanna call it? :P
You can make your own canon, but there is no official canon in the Mario series. I actually think it's more like the other way around, where the Paper Mario gaems are not part of the series "like normal" and Sticker Star is just a storybook that somebody drew in. The rest don't exist.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

I dunno, they just seem happy about the entire thing

If Sticker Star is really a "new continuity", I hope the series dies soon since it has essentially become New Super Paper Mario Bros.

OK, I'm starting to agree with Solar Blaze. Paper Mario is dead.

R.I.P. Paper Mario series 2000-2007

I keep hoping we would get a new RPG series, but alas nothing.

Puzzles and Dragons?

SolarBlaze said:
Mcmadness said:
Like what? Seeing characters that would never return suddenly shoehorned into a crossover where they'd all be shells of themselves from previous games?
I'm not saying that they have to shoehorn in every character, but I'd sure as hell like it if they showed some indication that the past three Paper Mario games mattered in some way, shape, or form, which they've done absolutely none of so far, besides acknowledging the fact that Paper Bowser's able to speak.

I just want to remind everyone that AlphaDream is in charge of development for this game, so I wouldn't expect so much from the Paper Mario aspect of it, other than somewhat of a mini-crossover, which is probably why there seems to be a lot of generic enemies.

Ash's Froakie said:
Being made by someone else is not an excuse for the minimal Paper Mario content.

Unless there are copyright issues and such.

And we still have yet to see more than like 2% of this game, so who really knows what else there is about this game. It's basically a Mario & Luigi game that has Paper Mario elements thrown in. It's not like it's a sequel to Sticker Star really.

Lapis Lazuli said:
Ash's Froakie said:
Being made by someone else is not an excuse for the minimal Paper Mario content.

Unless there are copyright issues and such.

Good point.

Lapis Lazuli said:
Ash's Froakie said:

And we still have yet to see more than like 2% of this game, so who really knows what else there is about this game. It's basically a Mario & Luigi game that has Paper Mario elements thrown in. It's not like it's a sequel to Sticker Star really.

True, but the only Paper Mario elements so far are the paper characters themselves.

I highly doubt there are copyright issues. We're talking about Intelligent Systems, not the Pokemon Company/Game Freak, the latter of which are very anal and picky when it comes to what their properties can and cannot be used in.

It's extremely reasonable to be very skeptical of the game, considering we know precisely jack shit about it and it comes out in about a month in everywhere but North America because NoA sucks.

Ash's Froakie said:

You know, I thought SPM was rubbish but I wasn't declaring the series dead just because I thought it was crap.

Mcmadness said:
Ash's Froakie said:

You know, I thought SPM was rubbish but I wasn't declaring the series dead just because I thought it was crap.

Sticker Star was even crappier than SPM though. Besides, we didn't know for sure that SPM would become the new norm for the Paper Mario series.

This heavily implies (if not outright confirms) that Sticker Star is the new norm for Paper Mario.

Gamefreak75 said:
If Sticker Star is really a "new continuity", I hope the series dies soon since it has essentially become New Super Paper Mario Bros.
Aside from the environments, how exactly? Don't attribute shitty gameplay to New Super Mario Bros..

Lapis Lazuli said:
SolarBlaze said:
Mcmadness said:
Like what? Seeing characters that would never return suddenly shoehorned into a crossover where they'd all be shells of themselves from previous games?
I'm not saying that they have to shoehorn in every character, but I'd sure as hell like it if they showed some indication that the past three Paper Mario games mattered in some way, shape, or form, which they've done absolutely none of so far, besides acknowledging the fact that Paper Bowser's able to speak.

I just want to remind everyone that AlphaDream is in charge of development for this game, so I wouldn't expect so much from the Paper Mario aspect of it, other than somewhat of a mini-crossover, which is probably why there seems to be a lot of generic enemies.
I think it's just that the Paper Mario elements are heavily based from Sticker Star, and that's an already minimalist game, so there isn't much to work from if they're really going to go to the Sticker Star route.

Which kind of sucks, but it's a bit of a silver lining that we don't get anything from Super Paper Mario.

Ash's Froakie said:
Sticker Star was even crappier than SPM though. Besides, we didn't know for sure that SPM would become the new norm for the Paper Mario series.

They said the same thing when they were making Super in a Nintendo Power Magazine. Obviously that didn't happen. Plans change, ideas are made. Nothing is the same forever.

To be fair, we certainly didn't see Super Paper Mario in Sticker Star unlike how we saw Sticker Star in Paper Jam.

Mcmadness said:
Ash's Froakie said:

They said the same thing when they were making Super in a Nintendo Power Magazine. Obviously that didn't happen. Plans change, ideas are made. Nothing is the same forever.
I'm guessing it fell through when the game was less than well received.

But Sticker Star was praised even less, but again, that was mainly because of the horrid gameplay mechanic.

Dr. Mario said:
To be fair, we certainly didn't see Super Paper Mario in Sticker Star unlike how we saw Sticker Star in Paper Jam.
*shrugs* Don't bother me none. As long as the proper M&L gameplay and personality remains intact I'll be content.

Worry about the future of PM when we get to the next PM I say.

I really don't understand the overwhelming negative feeling of when people see Paper Jam and get reminded of Sticker Star. I used to be upset that Sticker Star seemed to be influenced by New Super Mario Bros. more than other Paper Mario games were influenced by their contemporary platformers, but I've grown more mild about that attitude now that we haven't seen a New Super Mario Bros. game in at least 2 years now. It's really the gameplay and bland dialogue-less characterization that bogged it down rather than the lack of OCs or lack of acknowledging the previous Paper Mario games, and I think a Mario RPG that uses its already existing cast and a much improved battle system would be ideal rather than Shadow Queen or Dimentio or Count Bleck or Fawful. Heck, I'd want Starlow to be removed too since she's really just a middleman/thing to compensate for dialogue-less Mario and Luigi.

I still think Paper Jam can benefit from having a few references to the first three Paper Mario games, but it's not a full-blown crossover as people make it out to be, and I'm actually relieved so far it dodged the ridiculousness of typical crossover fanfics that may have been expected if Sticker Star didn't exist. Like, if Fawful, Dimentio, Count Bleck, and Shadow Queen teamed up or something and it has Super Paper Mario-like levels of plot atrocity... oh my god that sounds pretty awful, lol.

All I want is them to use Main series characters but make sure they have entertaining dialogue and personalities. They did wonders for people like toadsworth, peach and Bowser so I'd to see what they'd do with others.

And in regards to the plot, I'm of the opinion that you can't have 2 Bowsers working together and NOT have them be responsible for the majority of the conflict. I mean just one causes enough trouble as is.

Back