Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Swiftie_Luma said:
So what? higher poly model , such a big deal (sarcasm).

it's a big deal to some people who are interested in using them for creating fan-art.

Swiftie_Luma said:
They don't look much different when it comes to the game aside from the lighting as Mario Kart 8 has really good graphics.

they do look different, they're higher poly, which means they're higher quality.

mario kart 8 has good rendering environments but it doesn't do much in the poly-count department

Baby Luigi said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

it's a big deal to some people who are interested in using them for creating fan-art.

Swiftie_Luma said:
They don't look much different when it comes to the game aside from the lighting as Mario Kart 8 has really good graphics.

they do look different, they're higher poly, which means they're higher quality.

mario kart 8 has good rendering environments but it doesn't do much in the poly-count department

Well sorry if my ignorance about 3D modelling offended you.

Aside from that, im very happy about the latter fix in the credits of the game for Rosalina.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Striker Mario said:
Almost? Swiftie, plz.

w36iwrk.png

SJNh0vj.png
And that's not counting the bones.

lol, "big deal"? What?

The model has a more detailed bone structure (allows for animation AND posing). Rio's Larry has much more bones (10 bones) on his face than Mario Kart 8's Larry (2 bones): this allows for a greater variety of making facial expressions much more easily. It's a huge plus for fanart and fan animations. It's pretty much the closest thing you'll get to making your own fan art that is remotely comparable to the official art. Higher-poly models is to higher-resolution images.

It's not just your ignorance, it's your remark I found snide and arrogant that bothered me. Your apology doesn't sound sincere to me either.

Sprites are nice, but if you're skilled enough with models, you can make as many different sprites as you please.

flipping hell, now we have to go back to gmod and update the koopalings pack

siiiiiiiiighhh people will start asking soon >_>

Wellllll, thanks to Mario & Sonic developers being absolute morons at being consistent with the Koopalings, it's going to look incomplete.

Sigh.

Hopefully, we'll put better use to these Koopalings once we get those ported. *cleans crowbar*

Striker Mario said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
Striker Mario said:
Almost? Swiftie, plz.

w36iwrk.png

SJNh0vj.png
And that's not counting the bones.

lol, "big deal"? What?

The model has a more detailed bone structure (allows for animation AND posing). Rio's Larry has much more bones (10 bones) on his face than Mario Kart 8's Larry (2 bones): this allows for a greater variety of making facial expressions much more easily. It's a huge plus for fanart and fan animations. It's pretty much the closest thing you'll get to making your own fan art that is remotely comparable to the official art. Higher-poly models is to higher-resolution images.

It's not just your ignorance, it's your remark I found snide and arrogant that bothered me. Your apology doesn't sound sincere to me either.

Sprites are nice, but if you're skilled enough with models, you can make as many different sprites as you please.

Well it can't be helped , i don't think you can tell by just reading it though.

Not to mention the apology was actually directed to Baby Luigi as i honestly didn't want to sound rude to her. It is up to her to accept it or not in this case , but this is not even an issue, it's something so small.

I have nothing else to say.

By the way, one interesting thing that was found, at least in the case of Larry, is that now all fingers have bones.
First of all shame on me on not realizing that in MK8 all fingers of the hand except the thumb move in the same way. The animators in MK8 did a good job in hiding this.
I am surprised, however, that they did such a relatively complex rigging for Mario & Sonic's Larry, who is used only in one event. At this point I am really curious to see if there are some animations that take advantage of it or if the developers knew about the Wii U exploits and wanted to give fans some relatively good models to play with... it is after all the same SEGA that now allows ROMhacks of their released Genesis games on Steam for their own PC Genesis emulator...

I'd understand why they'd make fingers share a same bone. Fingers can be a real bitch to animate. Think of them as miniature arms and legs, and you have to rotate them individually. That's why they saved animation time by making all the fingers barring the thumb rigged to one bone. Often times, when characters make gestures, only the thumb and index finger are important individually, the other three can be animated with one finger bone.

In Mario Kart 8, that didn't stop me from simply adding bones to Baby Luigi's fingers for his model. You can always do that. Just add more bones to the model, and add more bones to your skin, and rig those. No need to redo the entire thing. Granted, your rigging skill is dependent on your own talents but you can get separately rigged fingers that way.

I don't think this has anything to do with the kernel exploit, though. I just think that they wanted to focus on the detail, and by giving each fingers their own bones, they can take advantage should an animation call for usage of the rest of the fingers separately.

Im guessing its because In this game , the characters are way more active than in Mario Kart .

Characters in Mario Kart 8 stay in the vehicle for the most part and they never stand up like they did in Mario Kart Wii when they win a thropy etc.

Most of the characters run , swin , dance , ride horses etc.

Plus the winning , losing and special animations

Plus the animated speeches in the Story mode and etc.

Theres way more to be animated in this kind of game.

Models in Mario Kart seem to be lower in quality too , like again , Mario Kart Wii Rosalina compared to Super Mario Galaxy Rosalina .

I wasn't complaining about Mario Kart's models, of course, as smooth 59/60 fps with 12 characters is much more important than anything else.
I am surprised that even guests, used only in one event, still have decent models. Props to SEGA for caring about very little details that few people will likely notice.
Unless, of course, those models were intended for all events but then the animators couldn't finish all animations in time and the team was forced to use the new characters only in one events.

Mister Wu said:
I wasn't complaining about Mario Kart's models, of course, as smooth 59/60 fps with 12 characters is much more important than anything else.
True, true, but a nice quality model with finger bones and all are pretty nice to have.

Animations is the lesser of the problems

In the case of females , there was more time consumed because they have more costumes

Notice how even the females (the originals not the guests) have more than 1 portrait.

1 for Equestrian (Winter outfit) , 1 for regular events and 1 for Swimming events and Dancing with Clubs

Im guessing that this , aka the bigger picture , is what prevented Sticks , Rosalina and etc to be playable , or at least contributed to it,

Then again since the males dont have this issue , i guess the Rivals , Guests or Bosses were intended since the very beggining , so its not due to time constraints as much as it sucks to not to be able to play as them in all events

In the end, it doesn't really matter about "they have more costumes". It's not like they can change what they wear WITHIN an event, so either way, you're stuck with the same time constraints as animating as everyone else. What's going to take longer is the modeling in of itself.

I wish males get special treatment. I really want to play as this Mario (and of course, use the corresponding model):

Mario_Surfing_%28stamp%29_-_MaSatROG.png

Creating special renders , and the separate models for each costume just for 4 characters consumes time

So it does indeed matter.

They even tried to gain said time by reusing renders from London Olympics as well as animations from Sochi ( as well as the special ones with some exceptions)

Im guessing they didnt have this much issue with the first 2 games as all the females just had 1 costume.

Creating renders doesn't really take that much time. Sure, you spend hours getting a great enough pose and then set up the lights and materials (not necessarily in any specific order) and then play around the render settings and then wait for minutes for the computer to chug out something decent, but it's nothing compared to creating, UV unwrapping, and animating from scratch. They seem to already have the costumes from the previous games too, so there's no need to create new ones from scratch. By "render" I mean artwork and sprites. But by models, you don't even need to create new animations for the costumes. Just add physics to them.

In the grand scheme of things, costumes take time, but not enough for time constraints to prevent Sticks , Rosalina, etc. to be fully playable. To me, it's just laziness. I mean, I think making Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach require more time than costumes, and that's saying something.

this and the dream events are like the only reason i'd want those games and i want baby luigi playable

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd,
Wendy gets teased for Mario & Sonic at the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games!
She says: "Wendy always wears pink heels, but I think that ice skates too fit her well. I heard she's as dangerous as she is graceful on ice! Yes, I know Ice Skating is not an event of the Rio Olympic Games, but if she participated in the Winter ones, we would surely see a different Wendy!"
This possibly means that the next Mario & Sonic is already being developed, which would be something good in my opinion, as I think a year and a half of development are not enough to get a decent Mario & Sonic game, especially considering that the next one will be developed for a different console, the NX.

They'll probably really go all out for 2020 given that's when Japan is hosting the Summer olympics. And both Mario and Sonic originate from Japan, hell they might even make Mario and Sonic at least in part the mascots for the actual games. Maybe use Pikachu as well (Given Japan's used Pokemon for sports event promotion such as the World Cup)

mario and sonic and pokemon at the 2020 olympic games

featuring dante from the devil may cry series

ha i've always wanted to see eggman uppercutting sonic in the face

Back