Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

i honestly don't have much feelings about the roster itself anyway but i understand why people would get pissed. like, imagine if baby luigi got added and he's playable in like only one event. that would deeply piss me off

it's one thing not including favorite characters, but it's a special kind of bad to restrict them to special events

the difference between that and say, beach volley folley from mario party 4 is that at least mario party 4 didn't advertise its "new" playable characters, they felt like a bonus. here, it feels extremely cheap and underhanded, and i think it's pretty disgusting.

The new Japanese trailer confirms that Nintendo really wants Dry Bowser to be a pillar of the "roster" (in the broadest sense) in the Mario spin-offs
He even magically appears in the roster where he wasn't 2 minutes before, along with a totally random Knuckles the Echidna in Team Mario

God I hate Dry Bowser so much

I don't.

Ok, to be honest, the way it was introduced in New Super Mario bros. I think was a pretty horrible idea, as it had nothing to do with Bowser being able to survive in the lava as seen even in the frist Super Mario Bros. and it also opened the way to many horrendous and cheap characters like Dry Kamek, Dry Bowser Jr. and so on.

The way he has been handled in the story mode of the Mario & Sonic games (as one of Bowser's minions or at least a separate character from Bowser) make him more acceptable to me, and fortunately, both New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D Land, that feature Dry Bowser, show that Bowser doesn't become a skeleton when falling into the lava.

As a separate character I can see his point, as effectively he looks more terrifying than Bowser and might also have an appeal on those who want evil cartoonish characters without Kawaii elements such as padded feet (not me, therefore). I also tend to joke on him being present in every spin-off but honestly, I think that he's an easier character to introduce as I suspect that much of the rigging for Bowser can be easily ported to Dry Bowser, making him a character that can be animated properly in less time.

My only fear is that Boom Boom (presented in the March trailer among the playable characters, as can be seen even in the newer gameplay trailer) has been replaced with Dry Bowser since the animations for the latter in Javelin Throw were already done for the 3DS version, which would mean that again, the Wii U version had some serious issues with development to the point that not even all planned playable characters were introduced (the flags of Dry Bowser were there in the March trailer, but he could have been an ultimate boss like in the Sochi game).

Mister Wu said:
I suspect that much of the rigging for Bowser can be easily ported to Dry Bowser, making him a character that can be animated properly in less time.

Uhh, no, Dry Bowser doesn't even need ported weights from Bowser, that's how easy he is to rig. And I don't think skin weights work like that.

His limbs are literally 0 and 1's in terms of rigging, because he's composed of separate parts rather than it being attached together. I can rig that -----er easily, just select his bone parts by element and assign it to a bone, no need to blend the vertices at all. Boom, you've created roster filler.

Well , this is yet another insult of a game for a long running series.

At this point , the only way im going to be surprised is when Nintendo does the right thing since they have been this way lately.

Is this their indirect way to show us how they truly hate the Wii U? Maybe so , since Mario is deeeeeep dead in that console , all the games suck or are lacking to the extend.

So , basically characters that people were excited to play as are restricted ; and they do this in a console version after a loooong time with no newcomers...

And then we have ''newcomers'' like Garbage , err i mean Dry Bowser.

Nintendo is in an emo phase , they apparently hate us and hate themselves to make spin off titles worst than they have ever done.

Well, this is a disappointment. :/ To be honest, I don't even really like the M&S games that much. I bought the first one, and that was fun for a little bit before I got bored. It had a fun concept at the beginning (oh the two biggest rivals FIGHTING??? I MUST SEE) before that wore off quickly. I've played the others from my friends who bought it and I honestly didn't really like them at that much. It just seems like they're milking this franchise now.

The whole "limited characters" bit is just really annoying. I can kind of see what they were trying to do there, but I think in the end it just comes off as a disappointment to those who wanted to play as their favorite character who just got added to the roster.

AND NO BIRDO? NOOOOO! I am filled with angry salt! Well, I know that Birdo isn't super well-liked but she's seriously one of my favorite characters. First Mario Kart 8, and now this...Oh, my heart weeps for thee! I will love you no matter what!!!

I'm sure Birdo is in this game, but she's a restricted character.

She's in the opening video as a goalie, but in that video Boom Boom is among the playable characters of Team Mario so I don't know how much that video can be trusted (though Birdo might still be among the Birdos that are goalies). She surely is an NPC in the hub that acts as main menu.

The problem is that Mario & Sonic has been good since... never. The roster size has been essentially the same since the second installment, and so, we're of course supposed to be a tad excited about a significant amount of roster additions. Too bad there is a catch to that, a bad one, and that's pretty filthy to announce new characters, building people's expectations, but then turn around and throw sand in their eyes. Ultimately, we got the same roster as the previous two games.

Imagine if Smash got the glitz and glory by announcing several new characters but it was later revealed that they're restricted to one or two event matches.

This isn't disappointing to me. This angers me.

Striker Mario said:
The problem is that Mario & Sonic has been good since... never.

There's also the other side of this though that the games also have not been terrible exactly. Just generally medicore. They're generally better then a majority of Olympic compilation games that use actual human athletes as player characters. And heck the games do have some degree of polish since they're not glitch heavy unlike certain Sonic games.

And while it's kinda lost the novelty, it's true both Mario and Sonic are cash cows and some still get excited over any official crossover. (Even I'm sure most are still wishing for a Mario and Sonic platformer, I know Nintendo had some sort of official statement I think that the gameplay's too different to mix together, though that's arguably the point of a crossover)

No doubt there are better established franchise character games out there. Especially a majority of the Mario sports. But for those who like both franchises, I'm sure there's some worth with it. Though generally if anyone's going to pick it up it's best to wait for a price drop. Because $50-$60 probably isn't a good price for any of these games. Though by the time the price does drop there could be better games for even that cheap of money anyhow.

I believe the series reached the peak with the Second series , which are the Winter games on the original Wii and DS.

After that , more than a ''tradition'' , is more like a quick cash grab title. Nintendo would imagine kids would love this , so there it is , pretty graphics , barebones content.

This is so cringy since it's like what? the third time a long running series becomes ''bad'' in the Wii U? I think so.

Aside hating on Nintendo for this , i actually direct this to the people who actually pay for this.

Let them know they are also the reason why we still get this kind of thing. ''Oh it sucks but im still buying it'' is the way of thinking that rubs me the wrong way and i hateeee people that do so.

I don't really mind yearly release dates if the games are any fun to play. And sure, the dream events are a blast. Mario Party had the same yearly releases and all of them are great fun games.

Mario & Sonic sadly refuses to get better and actually continues getting worse.

While the soundtrack and graphics get better and prettier. Seriously, there's no denying how stunning the character model quality is.

I'm not complaining a lot about those two. We can salvage them (once the soundtrack and the models are extracted) and put them to better use, not in this tortured series. This also reminds me of Mario Party 10 and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, both that also have great models.

All three games in terms of model quality certainly surpasses Mario Kart 8 and even Super Smash Bros. Wii U's models.

To be honest, the way they have the "guest characters" worked as they are...as in, literally "guests"...it almost sounds like they should have been characters from other Nintendo/Sega franchises.

Eh, still gonna wait for an official review to come along.

I mainly look forward to little cutscenes, animations and music when these come out. I've never bought any of them.

I look forward the time the models get extracted. They look lovely. That's the best I can say about those games. And it's probably where the budget was blown. But hot damn, they look nice, and they're far more useful than *glare* Mario Kart 8's models.

Bowser did it better.

I am disappointed that I did not get addressed in the same honor my twin sister had.

Once I see Mario in there, I'm gonna get that video and take some frames and then convert it into GIF and it will be delicious.

Back