Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

I just care that I get to see Mario in a prerendered cutscene for once.

Striker Mario said:
I just care that I get to see Mario in a prerendered cutscene for once.

Okay, I'm confused; don't you mean that it's been a while since we've seen this kind of presentation in general? If so, I do agree on this front.

Okay, so in the end NOE decided to give information about the Wii U version:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/May/Let-the-games-begin-with-Mario-Sonic-at-the-Rio-2016-Olympic-Games-coming-to-Wii-U-on-24th-June-1105389.html

It also released a bunch of screenshots that reveals how nice Bowser's padded feet are, that Birdo won't likely be a playable character (she's on the main menu, which is actually "explorable", while the goalie is a different member of the Birdo species), that Big the Cat won't be either but at least he will be present and that new characters are mostly forbidden from screenshots despite the released intro movie revealing them.

Anyway my hopes on Ludwig von Koopa are dwindling, since 30 characters < characters in the Wii U version < 40 characters on the 3DS version, and characters restrictions without mention of a proper story mode, only three Duel events and not a mention of online multiplayer are not a sign of good omen...

But wait, now we have a video dedicated to Mcmadness:

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/727875594495533056

I'd put it in the "Look at it! Look at it! LOOK AT IT!" thread but let's face it, this is too much a thing of beauty.

Bowser dancing should have never been a thing. It's just plain wrong. It makes me lose respect for him.

Anser said:
Bowser dancing should have never been a thing. It's just plain wrong. It makes me lose respect for him.
Lol, this ain't even the first time he's done that.

Remember DDR: Mario Mix? :P

Anser said:

I think it's be worse if they didn't allow him to be selectable for an arbitrary reason such as him being "le seriouso villain"

I think part of the charm of the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games is having a little fun with the characters even if it doesn't make much sense that they'd actually participate in the event.

Besides, when we're talking about character. Bowser makes alot more sense then say... Shadow the Hedgehog doing alot of these sports. (Cause at least Bowser has been a regular part of most of the Spin-Off Sports games)

Anser said:
C'mon, cultivate a sense of humor you silleh. :D

dammit i just realized how freaking amazing that bowser really is

the very first thing i did when i played the first winter olympics on the wii was the figure skating event with bowser

i know what the first thing i'm doing is with this one, provided i play it

Threek said:
the very first thing i did when i played the first winter olympics on the wii was the figure skating event with bowser

i know what the first thing i'm doing is with this one, provided i play it

And I got a kick out of having a Synchronized swimming team consisting of Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, and Eggman in London 2012

...Granted my Dad came in by happenstance and said jokingly "That is the worst thing I've ever seen" but still glorious.

*sheds tear and holds up a 10 sign*

That was beautiful....

Mister Wu said:
But wait, now we have a video dedicated to Mcmadness:

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/727875594495533056

I'd put it in the "Look at it! Look at it! LOOK AT IT!" thread but let's face it, this is too much a thing of beauty.

That video is too good for this world. The fact that they use Dvorak's New World Symphony Movement 4 in it makes it just all that much better.

Now I need an oxygen tank to recover myself from that laughing fit. This video is just perfect.

And then there was this from 2012

Northern Verve said:
...Granted my Dad came in by happenstance and said jokingly "That is the worst thing I've ever seen" but still glorious.
I remember you posted that same thing years ago. XD

That being said, I don't have a lot of high hopes for this game either. There are also going to be character restrictions, but it's not specified who will get them.

I know I was never excited for this game to begin with

Now with the character restrictions and lack of dream events, the developers have to pay me to play their damn game

Striker Mario said:
That being said, I don't have a lot of high hopes for this game either. There are also going to be character restrictions, but it's not specified who will get them.
Well, the easiest and more likely guess, seeing the roster of the volleyball event and considering how much more difficult it is to create new models and rig and animate them properly, is that the original 20 characters will be unrestricted, while the newly introduced characters will be restricted. It's not clear in how many events you will be able to play them, however.
mario-sonic-61.jpg

Baby Luigi said:
I know I was never excited for this game to begin with

Now with the character restrictions and lack of dream events, the developers have to pay me to play their dang game
Well, three "dream" events are still there...

to be honest, I find it quite appalling to see that the 3DS version has more characters and "dream" events. It really seems that this time the developers had many more issues with the home console version, and I wonder if having to develop three versions was one of the reasons why things are apparently going awry.

Mister Wu said:
I wonder if having to develop three versions was one of the reasons why things are apparently going awry.

3 versions? Are you assuming this might be ported to the NX?

i think he's referring to that arcade version

Yes, I'm referring to the arcade version. It has its own events, apparently redone both in the controls (analog sticks + footpad) and in the graphics. It also has the classical roster of 20 characters, apparently without character restrictions (at least the gameplay videos didn't show such restrictions to be in place, since with both Tails and Eggman 9 events are selectable, and the tenth is 4 x 100m relay that should be dedicated to the special 4 players version).

Why bother with new characters if you're going to just put them in just a few events?

so they can falsely advertise "omg new characters!" with the least amount of effort possible

They could have gone with the roster of the 3DS version at this point, so they could advertise "double the characters as before!". "Less characters than the handheld version, but still with restrictions (a bit less, mind you!)!" doesn't look a very enticing message to me (but I agree that Bowser HAD to be in Rythmic Gymnastics!).

Sometimes I wonder what the point is for adding new playable characters, when only the 20 characters who were playable in the last three games can be used in all events.

It definitely feels like a huge waste, and frankly, the Mario & Sonic Olympics have never really been all that great to begin with.

Back