Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Baby Luigi said:
This is proof that the 3DS version will suck

http://gonintendo.com/stories/249385-mario-sonic-at-the-rio-2016-olympic-games-more-3ds-footage-d

That list of characters there means that those events in parentheses are the only events they will be playable in
But Mario and Sonic are usable in all of them...?

Mario
Peach (Golf, 100 metres Freestyle)
Luigi (Table Tennis, 110 metres hurdles)
Daisy (Soccer / Football, Rhythmic Gymnastics: Hoop)
Birdo (Archery)
Bowser Jr. (Long Jump, Equestrian)
Bowser (Golf, Boxing)
Donkey Kong (Boxing, Beach Volley)
Yoshi (Soccer / Football, 100 metres)
Wario (Javelin throw, Archery)
Waluigi (Long Jump, BMX)
Diddy Kong (110 metres hurdles)
Dry Bones (BMX)
Ludwig (Table Tennis)
Nabbit (100 metres)
Rosalina (Rhythmic Gymnastics: Hoop)
Dry Bowser (Javelin throw)
Roy (Beach Volley)
Larry (Equestrian)
Wendy (100 metres Freestyle)

Sonic
Tails (100 metres Freestyle, Beach Volley)
Amy (100 metres Freestyle, Rhythmic Gymnastics: Hoop)
Knuckles (Javelin throw, Boxing)
Cream (Beach Volley)
Vector (Golf, Table Tennis)
Espio (Long Jump)
Blaze (Equestrian, Rhythmic Gymnastics: Hoop)
Metal Sonic (100 metres, BMX)
Silver (110 metres hurdles, Archery)
Shadow (Soccer / Football, 100 metres)
Omega (Javelin throw)
Dr. Eggman (110m hurdles, Equestian)
Dr. Eggman Nega (Long Jump)
Wave (BMX)
Sticks (Archery)
Jet (Soccer / Football)
Zavok (Boxing)
Zazz (Table Tennis)
Rouge (Golf)
As much as I love Mario, that's not fair.

And where's Toad?

GalacticPetey said:
Baby Luigi said:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/249385-mario-sonic-at-the-rio-2016-olympic-games-more-3ds-footage-d

That list of characters there means that those events in parentheses are the only events they will be playable in
That's really dumb. Is this also the case for the Wii U version?

I don't think so as we saw characters participating in other sports in the Wii U version if I recall correctly.

They're trying to go the route of the 3DS London version, a route they shouldn't take.

Mcmadness said:
Oh boy, a new outfit for Rosalina fans to ogle over.
Why do female characters have all the fun? Why can't the male humans get speedos? D:

Dr. Mario said:
Why do female characters have all the fun? Why can't the male humans get speedos? D:

Do we really want to see Mario or Luigi in a speedo?

If your answer is anything besides yes then you have failed me

Mcmadness said:
Dr. Mario said:

Do we really want to see Mario or Luigi in a speedo?
Yesyesyes

If the Pitch/Crazy/Rosaloser/Amee/Balze fans can get their fanservice, then it's only fair that the Mario/Luigi/Waluigi/Wario/Eggman fans get it too. : D

Well, Bowser is naked if that means anything.

I emphasize male humans. The rest of them are being natural.

and humans wearing clothing is apparently not natural?

Still though even with the chararacter restrictions (Which hopefully will not exist or be less of a thing on the Wii U version just like how it was on the London game) it's a bit better since there is actually new characters to play as. Since until now the last time we got new characters as playable it was the 2nd game in the series. About 6 years ago.

well i'm glad it's a huge step. it looks like the realized what they did with the roster and said, "man we screwed up here, a bunch of characters this time"

Baby Luigi said:
and humans wearing clothing is apparently not natural?
It's not because it's a covering that's manufactured with GMOs and can be removed without harm any time.

Northern Verve said:
Still though even with the chararacter restrictions (Which hopefully will not exist or be less of a thing on the Wii U version just like how it was on the London game) it's a bit better since there is actually new characters to play as. Since until now the last time we got new characters as playable it was the 2nd game in the series. About 6 years ago.
I have to give it to them, I really appreciate how they nearly doubled the roster this time. Maybe one day, it'll rival Super Sluggers's.

Bowser is boxing and.....golf.

Boxing I get but why golf?

In the Mario universe, golf is a very hazardous stressful, rage-inducing sport with potential to inflict serious self-harm.

A poor man got crushed by a boulder just for getting a double bogey for Christ's sake.

i.e. it's perfect for Bowser.

Wait, Peach is on the list for golf too.

Nvm, now it all makes sense.

Baby Luigi said:

You've never played the game, so you have no idea that it'll suck.

Gamefreak75 said:
Wait, only some of the Koopalings are playable? That's even more asinine than having all of them. Why would they do that? And it looks like Iggy isn't even one of them, so it's even more disgusting.

Make up your mind. First it's terrible that all are, then it's terrible that not all of them are. Also, the game is not terrible just because one character is absent.

CrashBash said:
Baby Luigi said:

Unless a miracle happens how in the hell is a super restricted character roster is anything but a bad sign? Also, we have expectations from the previous Mario & Sonic games, particularly the London one. It sucks. Can we not have expectations or something?

CrashBash said:
Gamefreak75 said:
Wait, only some of the Koopalings are playable? That's even more asinine than having all of them. Why would they do that? And it looks like Iggy isn't even one of them, so it's even more disgusting.
Make up your mind. First it's terrible that all are, then it's terrible that not all of them are. Also, the game is not terrible just because one character is absent.
No, he's saying that all 7 Koopalings is already a bad idea, but they're supposed to be treated as a package, so in a sense, it's even dumber to include only a select few. He's just griping that Iggy out of all of them for some reason isn't going to get used.

CrashBash said:
Baby Luigi said:

I don't need to personally play and experience the game to know that it will suck.

First of all, it's Mario & Sonic. The series is hardly known for its strong bouts of quality. The only events usually worth playing in are the dream ones, everything else is pretty much filler. Thankfully this game WILL have dream events.

Second, London games formatted their characters this way and it sucked. Hard. It's false advertisement and outright lying to people who want to use their favorite characters. It's not technically 20 characters in a roster, it's "you can use this guy only for three events out of like, the rest of them" and whatever, heavily limiting the choices you can make. The point of this game is to use your freaking favorite Mario and Sonic characters and make them compete against each other, restrictions like these heavily detract from the main freaking reason we even want to play those games.

Dr. Mario said:
Unless a miracle happens how in the hell is a super restricted character roster is anything but a bad sign? Also, we have expectations from the previous Mario & Sonic games, particularly the London one. It sucks. Can we not have expectations or something?

Baby Luigi said:
I don't need to personally play and experience the game to know that it will suck.

Guys, you do not know that the same is going to suck. You are literally second guessing, and that is always ill-advised. Look, I'm not keen on it myself, but I'm not going to make silly claims that a game I've never played or even seen reviewed is terrible out of nothing. I'm going to wait until I see some reviews, like I always do.

Besides, it's still different from the London one.

CrashBash said:
Guys, you do not know that the same is going to suck. You are literally second guessing, and that is always ill-advised. Look, I'm not keen on it myself, but I'm not going to make silly claims that a game I've never played or even seen reviewed is terrible out of nothing. I'm going to wait until I see some reviews, like I always do.

Besides, it's still different from the London one.
Of course we don't know for certain (which is why I said "unless a miracle happens"), but we're building low expectations from past experiences with the series and how London handled its character roster. It's not impressive, and it's good that they expanded the roster, but that they returned the bad decision to restrict characters to events, it raises up eyebrows and a huge stink. Not a good impression, especially when our expectations are fairly low already. So, no, it's not a blind guess. And you can make reasonable evaluations prior to a game's release and reviews, just look at what happened to Sonic Boom and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. Sometimes, hyped up games can be disappointments or questionable games turn out to be spectacular, but it doesn't suddenly discredit all expectations we have.

I'm not "literally" second-guessing. That's exactly what it says on gonintendo.com, they have information for that game, and none of my claims are pulled out from nowhere. Having personally experiencing the awfulness that was the Mario & Sonic London games on the 3DS (probably the worst Mario game we had ever played), this is exactly repeating the same freaking mistake that single-handedly let the game down for me and my twin, except worse because they're restricted to one or two sports instead of having an arbitrary class.

Perhaps it's just first impressions, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing the way it's going to go based on information we have received so far. Unless they ditched this so-called "feature" in the last minute, in which I highly doubt they will, it's going to look like it will suck.

Dr. Mario said:
Of course we don't know for certain (which is why I said "unless a miracle happens"), but we're building low expectations from past experiences with the series and how London handled its character roster. It's not impressive, and it's good that they expanded the roster, but that they returned the bad decision to restrict characters to events, it raises up eyebrows and a huge stink. Not a good impression, especially when our expectations are fairly low already. So, no, it's not a blind guess. And you can make reasonable evaluations prior to a game's release and reviews, just look at what happened to Sonic Boom and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. Sometimes, hyped up games can be disappointments or questionable games turn out to be spectacular, but it doesn't suddenly discredit all expectations we have.

Yeah, but with both those games, I kept what I had seen (which in both cases was promising) with an open mind until I had actually seen some reviews or playthroughs of my own before making my decision (admittedly, a decision I'm glad I made).

And, to be fair, I still don't consider it anything like the London game with the exception of a limited character roster...and even then, there's some variety (six usable characters instead of just four, and at least they're full games). But that's just me.

Basically, I don't like being too judgemental, or getting worked up over "nothing".

Baby Luigi said:
I'm not "literally" second-guessing. That's exactly what it says on gonintendo.com, they have information for that game, and none of my claims are pulled out from nowhere.

You literally said "the game will suck" when you haven't played it or seen it in action. That is clearly second guessing. Does it say on gonintendo.com that the game will suck? No.

I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I see it in action. And yes, I know the London one had a poor set-up, but this is still different.

Let's just put it as this: we're extremely skeptical on how the game will turn out. We had kept open minds before, with Super Mystery Dungeon and Ultra Smash. I remember being cautiously optimistic about Super Mystery Dungeon, but it turned out fantastic, and Ultra Smash, I was being really excited for it, but I the discovery of lack of content and its relatively super short development cycle made me pessimistic and Ultra Smash didn't exceed what I perceived to be an inferior version of Power Tennis. Mind you, gut feelings are hardly right, but this isn't pure gut feelings, these are inferences after evaluating the facts. Seriously, though, you can't have a good Mario crossover game when you can't even use a huge portion of the roster for ALL events.

Dr. Mario said:
Let's just put it as this: we're extremely skeptical on how the game will turn out. We had kept open minds before, with Super Mystery Dungeon and Ultra Smash. I remember being cautiously optimistic about Super Mystery Dungeon, but it turned out fantastic, and Ultra Smash, I was being really excited for it, but I the discovery of lack of content and its relatively super short development cycle made me pessimistic and Ultra Smash didn't exceed what I perceived to be an inferior version of Power Tennis. Mind you, gut feelings are hardly right, but this isn't pure gut feelings, these are inferences after evaluating the facts. Seriously, though, you can't have a good Mario crossover game when you can't even use a huge portion of the roster for ALL events.

I know, I know. I apologise, I'm just not keen on jumping to conclusions with any game or another. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten Mario Golf World Tour.

Besides, TBH, what turned me off of London 2012 3DS wasn't the roster set-up, it was the games themselves, and how poorly they were implemented. As far as I can see, this doesn't have that problem. But, that's just my thoughts.

Again, I do apologise if I came off a bit stingy.

It makes some sense. It's not like Michael Phelps would do Table Tennis.

Still, it seems limiting.

Of course, why should I care? I haven't bought one of these in years and I won't buy this one either.

Back