What made certain enemies from Super Mario Bros. 2 survive into later games?

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
We're all well aware that Super Mario Bros. 2 was originally a separate game entirely, just given a new coat of paint for Western audiences. If we didn't get this game, though, series staples like Bob-ombs, Shy Guys, Snifits, Pokeys, and Birdo would have probably never seen the light of day. With that said, why did they get special treatment over all the other enemies, who haven't been nearly as prevalent in recent Mario games? There are a few, like Ninjis and Pidgits, that make appearances every once in a while during the non-main games, but there are others like Hoopsters and Flurries that basically never appeared as enemies since SMB2, and that's not even bringing up the bosses (poor, poor, Wart). There's certainly an element of how commonly they appeared that helps, but Beezos and Tweeters were just as common and nobody remembers them. Was it just dumb luck, or did something specific make them stand out?

Maybe Nintendo just like them or their concepts? I mean Bob-ombs sorta gave personality to Mario. I can't really say for sure.

Come to think of it, Bob-ombs and Pokeys are pretty much the only ones that reappear as enemies in the mainstream games. The rest are either spinoff regulars or occasionally there.

Well, the Shy Guys have certainly been made into lovable little derps! Everyone likes those little dudes!

I read somewhere that In Shy Guy Bazaar, you can see some long unused enemies as drawings in the red carpets. There are also Cobrats inside of the moving pots but they are depicted as green here.

I don't know what's holding them back but they are not going to be lost forever, look at Reznor, Chargin' Chucks, and those fire sumos(forgot their name).

Captain America said:
I'd love to get the DokiDoki Mario 2 bosses back. Tryclyde is awesome.
The Mario series as a whole has a bad habit of tossing away bosses after their game. There are a few consistent ones, like King Bob-omb and the Koopalings, but they're about as throwaway as the locations they appear in.

JBX9001 said:
Well, the Shy Guys have certainly been made into lovable little derps! Everyone likes those little dudes!
I really think the Tweeters would have been great as reoccuring enemies. Just something about their design seems like they'd stand out.

The koopalings are the exception to that rule, but even then thats basically just for the 2D games

They won't probably all die since some of the most memorable enemies y'know, like the phanto, he was'nt there just because there are no real keys now in 2D platformers. Plus, there's still hope for him as the scarfy enemy from the kirby series is highly similar.

I think I've once said this somewhere else, but Nintendo could not have had a more fertile opportunity in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team to re-introduce Wart, and other SMB2 elements. It would have made a spectacular stage in the game. Just think: a reimagined version of a classic SMB2 level, with the enemies and vegetables, and perhaps navigating between the alterate, "dark" universe using the potions. And of course, a boss battle with Wart.

How incredible would that have been??

^ Having Wart in Dream Team would've been awesome, and it would've made sense as well!

Perhaps it was the general likeness of the enemies, by that I mean how well they were liked by the fans. Mario's known for having a cutsy, childish feel to it (which I love), so the enemies were a perfect fit. Or they needed certain enemies to fill a criteria and these ones seemed to fit. Birdo's only continuing because Yoshi needed a partner in 64 Mario Tennis.

EDIT: What I don't get is where the enemies came from. I mean, it was a dream world, wasn't it? Does that mean every Mario game with these enemies take place in Mario's head?

No, dreams often mirror real life with their objects. It's a bit like saying because Baby Luigi appears in my dreams, that means he appears only in my head.

well some of the designs were simplistic but enjoyable, granted not a whole lot of smb2 enemies really made it to other games, but i do find some of them enjoyable, so that might be it.

Koops the koopa troopa said:
They won't probably all die since some of the most memorable enemies y'know, like the phanto, he was'nt there just because there are no real keys now in 2D platformers. Plus, there's still hope for him as the scarfy enemy from the kirby series is highly similar.
I fail to understand how the presence of a similar enemy in one series affects the use of another enemy in another. I mean using the Kirby series as an example, Waddle Dees and Goombas are very similar with them both being simple enemies whose sole attack is to walk into the hero and neither of them are heading anywhere anytime soon. Boos and Mumbies are also fairly similar and have the same attack pattern.

On topic my main guess is the Mario series at that point had already slapped eyes on things like hills and stuff, so a living bomb wouldn't be too much of a stretch of imagination, and Pokeys make very good desert enemies, what with being a cactus.

I was just saying that the phanto wasn't completely dead. Plus, if nintendo someday wants to put that kind of enemy in a mario platformer, then they know who to bring back.

One thing I am amazed is that Birdo made an appearance as a character in Wario's Woods, which is probably the first instance of her acting as a good guy. Speaking of this, with a couple of exceptions (Super Mario RPG and the first Mario & Luigi), Birdo has never been treated as an enemy. In fact, Birdo is more often on the side of good than the side. I find this fascinating because Birdo's originally an enemy, but now Birdo's not an enemy. Based on this, I hope that they incorporate Birdo into the Super Mario Bros. games as a useful ally.

As for the other enemies, I imagine the ones that do return have concepts that aren't used as regular enemies and probably goes with the the Mario gameplay. Phanto likely won't return unless a level revolves around carrying a key to the exit, unlike Super Mario World where keys are only used for secret exits.

Thanks for reading.

Back