post any random Mario thought on your mind

Sorry if I ask you something specific, but is it just me or MT: US is no longer based on stances, i.e. you can only obtain a Smash Shot by going into the Smash Shot area even in Classic Simple mode, instead of being able to do a Smash Shot every time the character assumes the overhead stance (with them leaping to reach an high ball even when outside of the star area!)?

Ultra Smashes are can only be performed by Hitting the ''Y'' button on common controls when localed in the Ultra Smash circle

However , the Ultra Smash chance only appears when:

A) Opponent ''saves'' the ball , as in you hit the ball by throwing yourself in there just as is about to go away so you dont miss it. This is heavily punished in this game on Standard and Mega Battle mode as it will always result in US chance for the other player.

B) Opponent hits the ball with a ''weaker'' response.

If you happen to shot with a Fire Flower shot and the opponent DOES NOT HIT BACK WITH A CHARGED SHOT , it will result in a US chance for the other opponent.

C) As a Power type character , charging shots + Fire Flower chance always result in the opponent getting knocked away to the back of the court leaving a US chance.

I use the above trick sometimes , because its fun to do as Rosalina taking advantage of her strenght :3

In the end , charging the ball STILL affects the gameplay greatly , as well as alternationg between flat , top spins and slice shots.

Lobs are not as effective this time around , mostly on courts with high bounce priorities.

Additionally , even if you do happen to shot back a Ultra Smash from your opponent , if you hit the ball with the common buttons you will still give the opponent Yet another US Chance.

In my experience , to avoid this , if you recive a US , try hitting back with ''B+A'' which result is a slow shot , it wont cause yet another US chance.

These two deserve a Grammy
Toad_and_Boo_Dancing_-_Super_Mario_Sticker.gif

i might have asked this before but what made mario tennis ultra smash bad or at least lackluster?

Zae Eildus said:
i might have asked this before but what made mario tennis ultra smash bad or at least lackluster?
from what I've heard it was because it lacked a lot of content compared to the previous tennis games. I've never played any of them myself though so my take may not be fully accurate

The abysmal amount of content , the bland gimmick of the Mega Mushroom and of course , rather limited online mode.

Once you play enough matches , you can literally unlock anything by buying it , and since theres no many unlockeables to begin with , the coins become useless so fast.

Theres almost no modes to play

Friend matches in online mode dont exist.

The only thing that they made to make this different than normal tennis is bringing back the horrible chance shots that nobody liked in Open and force the Mega Mushroom in this game.

No thropies , no gallery , no options , no match register data , no tournaments , no special shots that give each character personality , no cool cinematic , no award ceremonies, no unique courts.

Nothing , 0 , nada.

Theres nothing.

I legit only enjoy this game because is fun to smack everybody in the face as Rosalina , seriously.

ugh thats depressing as i loved power tennis, guess ill have to wait on the next tennis game to see if they do well or not.

It was a victim of the christmas rush and the lack of wii u games coming out at the time

Swiftie_Luma said:
Ultra Smashes are can only be performed by Hitting the ''Y'' button on common controls when localed in the Ultra Smash circle

However , the Ultra Smash chance only appears when:

A) Opponent ''saves'' the ball , as in you hit the ball by throwing yourself in there just as is about to go away so you dont miss it. This is heavily punished in this game on Standard and Mega Battle mode as it will always result in US chance for the other player.

B) Opponent hits the ball with a ''weaker'' response.

If you happen to shot with a Fire Flower shot and the opponent DOES NOT HIT BACK WITH A CHARGED SHOT , it will result in a US chance for the other opponent.

C) As a Power type character , charging shots + Fire Flower chance always result in the opponent getting knocked away to the back of the court leaving a US chance.

I use the above trick sometimes , because its fun to do as Rosalina taking advantage of her strenght :3

In the end , charging the ball STILL affects the gameplay greatly , as well as alternationg between flat , top spins and slice shots.

Lobs are not as effective this time around , mostly on courts with high bounce priorities.

Additionally , even if you do happen to shot back a Ultra Smash from your opponent , if you hit the ball with the common buttons you will still give the opponent Yet another US Chance.

In my experience , to avoid this , if you recive a US , try hitting back with ''B+A'' which result is a slow shot , it wont cause yet another US chance.
Thanks! One of the things that is impressing me positively of the original Mario Tennis on the N64 is the versatility of the system: you can happily ignore the star marks and still obtain a fully charged Smash Shot complete with the character leaping:
VkvzZ2g.gif

the system is actually so versatile that you can charge any of the five shots with the overhead stance, resulting even in this majestic Charged Overhead Drop Shot that is obviously meant to hurt yourself badly:
UdOvcE6.gif

From what I've seen, in Ultra Smash you can perform even the standard Smash Shot only on the Smash Shot area (the purple one that appears even in Classic Simple mode), while charging a Flat Shot outside of it always results in, well, a Flat Shot. Probably the overhead stance is completely lacking, which is a bit sad if true as you can easily see how it created much variety and strategy.

Other than that, from a gameplay point of view, Ultra Smash doesn't even seem that bad (the Flat Shot button was really overdue on home console Mario Tennis games), especially in Classic Simple mode (that can be played online, fortunately).

Zae Eildus said:

Lack of content, bad roster balancing, and the roster amount is inferior to N64 Mario Tennis when the Transfer Pak exclusives are included. Also, the game itself could easily be implemented onto a GameCube disc, since it uses less memory than Super Smash Bros. Melee.

In terms of bad roster balance, certain types didn't get used much, while others got too much attention. For a better balance, the following could've been considered...

Mario: All-Around
Luigi: All-Around
Toad: Speedy
Peach: Technical
Daisy: Technical
Rosalina: Tricky
Bowser: Powerful
Wario: Powerful
Waluigi: Defensive
Yoshi: All-Around
Boo: Tricky
Donkey Kong: Powerful
Toadette: Speedy
Bowser Jr.: Defensive (he's using the Junior Clown Car to play)
Dry Bowser: Defensive
Green Sprixie Princess: Technical

All-Around: 3
Technical: 3
Speedy: 2
Powerful: 3
Defensive: 3
Tricky: 2

One more Speedy and Tricky character would've completely balanced the roster. Diddy Kong could fit the Speedy type, while a Luma could fit the Tricky type, and give Rosalina a true partner.

For the record , thank Goddess Nintendo doesn't listen to any this and keeps giving Rosalina Power Type Status.

You literally have no idea how horrible Tricky characters are this time around , meanwhile is more fun Having a Mega Mushroom and being a Power type.

Tricky characters have higher chance of getting the ball out and is super annoying , meanwhile the only thing Power types lack greatly is speed , but that doesnt seem to be much of a problem this time around.

Last I've checked, Tricky characters aren't that awful when used right. Mario Power Tennis is a perfect example, where if you're not careful, Boo can really mess you up. Similarly, in Mario Sports Mix, the Black Mage excels quite well in Hockey.

I'd rather be thankful Rosalina isn't part of that mess. In Ultra Smash Stronger characters seem to be a treat most of the time.

kinda lame as i liked rotating between peach, luigi, and boo in power tennis.

Hope isnt strong for the future of tennis games. :(

I'm just strongly against people wanting Rosalina to lose her trademarks.

Rosalina already lost her beautiful cosmic voice and now people want her to lose her strenght or even the fact that she is in a heavier class in MK games.

She is the first female to be both Strong and Large , no matter the reason , is another instance in which she is unique than other females

So people wanting to make it different basically ruins her uniqueness even more , and then have the nerve to complain that she is becoming too much like Peach.

...i think the last game i played with her in it was mk7 and i thought the voice was fine but im not too picky.

Although her floating animation kinda makes her look like a tricky character doe, but regarding power type i dont know how to feel about it as i kinda view her as magical in ways too, although being a gorgeous power character isnt too bad either.

But this brings the real question though like what is she considered in smash? I never played it too much and i played with a lot of characters, so i never really got into what kind of character she was in smash. Was she a heavier character in that or what?

Zae Eildus said:
But this brings the real question though like what is she considered in smash? I never played it too much and i played with a lot of characters, so i never really got into what kind of character she was in smash. Was she a heavier character in that or what?

She's the 4th lightest character, being only heavier than Mr. Game & Watch, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff.

I just want to point out that Tricky characters aren't always weak in the Power stat. Take a look at Slime, where even though it's a Tricky type in Mario Sports Mix, it's just as strong as the Powerful type characters.

As such, if Rosalina was a Tricky type, she could still have a manageable Power stat, even if it's just tied with Mario.

Deinosuchus said:
Zae Eildus said:

She's the 4th lightest character, being only heavier than Mr. Game & Watch, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff.

Zae is not amused.

Deinosuchus said:
Zae Eildus said:
Zae is not amused.

Meanwhile, Peach is the 16th lightest.

I still remember how Solid Snake is the 3rd heaviest fighter in Brawl. However, being heavy doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to survive longer. There's also the fighter's falling speed and gravity to keep note of as well. For example, Greninja's falling speed may be high, but so is its gravity, which can cause it to get Star KO'd sooner than Little Mac, who has a lower gravity value, and lighter in weight.

Zae Eildus said:
Deinosuchus said:
Zae Eildus said:
Zae is not amused.

Meanwhile, Peach is the 16th lightest.

ugh jesus christ

like why is smash so dang inaccurate

Is because she is floating all the time , she is makes herself this light.

There's an explanation for this sort of thing , is not like the made it out of the blue.

Rosalina is ''heavy'' in Mario Kart because she is overall larger than the common medium characters , she is a tall female that needs a bigger kart to fit in.

Logically speaking , larger or taller people weight more than smaller people commonly , so it still makes sense.

Rosalina changed voice actresses 2 times , by no real reason. The second one , used in MK7 , Smash and a few more games is the closest we got to the original one.

The current one , in games like Mario Kart8 and anything recent not only lost her echo effect but sounds overall nothing like the previous 2 while also sounding girlier and higher pitched , which is annoying if you play MKWii, then play MK7 and then play MK8. Sounds nothing Like Rosalina currently.

Rosalina is still a gorgeous and unique character in Mario , but her portrayal do not match the consistency of others.

Mario started as a Hero , Peach as a Girly Princess , Waluigi as a villian and etc.

They started as that , and they are still that ; Meanwhile Rosalina is often percived as originally being a legendary cosmic protector , full of mistery and sorrow only to be changed into a somewhat girly Princess , like the rest of them.

As a fan , i am THAT picky , even if i dont care too much atm, its been like 3 years or so.

Back