post any random Mario thought on your mind

Zae Eildus said:
well i guess how she reacts to other characters?

or maybe what she has done since she goes around the mario universe?
Well I was referring more to her history, as that what Luigi 64DD's TV Tropes quote was talking about.

While it's true that story is less important for platformers, I feel that if they are able to have a story without hurting the gameplay, as shown by Galaxy 1, they might as well do it. It can make an already good game even better.

eh not really a good plot can be good to some but if it doesnt really flow with the gameplay there really isnt much point, especially for platformers which in most cases are just go to point a to point b and alot of platformers only need that element.

Although some games can do plot integration such as metroid fusion when really they're not really telling a story in cut scenes but rather through the enviroments themselves.

Luigi 64DD said:
While it's true that story is less important for platformers, I feel that if they are able to have a story without hurting the gameplay, as shown by Galaxy 1, they might as well do it. It can make an already good game even better.

Galaxy's idea of adding a story was a couple cinematics and a rather ok storybook. It helped elevate Rosalina for a lot of folks but little else.

Mind you I'm of the opinion she'd still be super popular because people really like that magic space waifu trope thing.

Luigi 64DD said:
But in Galaxy 1's case, there was a brand new and legitimately interesting main character who helped you and made you want to learn more about her. And if you didn't like her, skipping it had no effect on the gameplay.

That nice balance of story is gonna be hard to replicate without coming off as trying to resell Galaxy 1. Hell, Galaxy 2 already kinda feels that way. I think it's safe to say that game was just Galaxy with bonus levels and power-ups.

I'm getting a good feeling about Odyssey, though. It seems legitimately new. Hopefully, you can actually talk to all those (what appear to be) non-hostile NPCs.
Luigi 64DD said:
I mean story as in what Galaxy had. That's counting Rosalina's storybook of course.
If course it includes the Storybook. What more story is there besides the usual "Bowser kidnaps Peach" template that the fans clamoring for more story despise so much?

I've still been playing around with the gecko codes for Brawl, and I've apparently caught something in regards to Cruel Brawl.

It seems that some of the Fighting Alloys are handicapped to easily take you out, no matter how high your current damage is. I utilized some knockback modifier codes to make players 2-6 easy to wipe out with one attack. While most of the Cruel Brawl Fighting Alloys got defeated instantly, some of them are more resilient than others, and their offensive handicaps can even get past any knockback resistances that you've given your fighter.

Basically, the Alloys that get defeated instantly won't send you very far, but the ones with the stronger knockback resistance can send you packing if you're careless.

Of course, a giant metal fighter does overcome even the strongest Alloys.

To be honest, Koizumi in the two games he directed (Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy) showed that he had incredibly good skills at introducing new main characters of the Mario universe: just think of Bowser Jr., how he was introduced as Shadow Mario and then revealed his identity and his smart plot to put Mario in jail or the way Rosalina is introduced and her backstory told through a non-mandatory yet well drawn and interesting to follow storybook.
I might be repetitive in stating this, but I still think that these elements might be more relevant than they seem at first glance, especially if seen only from a gameplay point of view.

More size modifier fun in Brawl...

4iXYmr3.png

Some tiny troublemakers are following Peach...

4YLJQ2V.png

Boy, those guys are so tiny that I'd think that they'd try to stay clear from her feet.

oUvgKEV.png

Peach is set to 12x her normal size, while everyone else is 0.25x their normal size. Peach is so tall now that her head is never seen.

bbtzrOu.png

And one more thing. Being so huge, Peach can take down the tiny fighters with one blow, while they can't do very much to stop her.

NaEfVHo.png

Looks like even Daisy is being followed by some tiny pests. Again, so tall that her head is never seen.

They managed to make the heels acceptable at least.

Peach and ''Daisy'' have saggy boobs in those costumes though.

At least those don't look like tumors, but that's the nicest thing I can say about that.

Well, I feel that more story would have been nice. Galaxy did have more story even aside from Rosalina's storybook then, for example, NSMBW. I just tend to support more story in games generally. I do make exceptions, of course. Like for Mario Kart.

well its just kind of a thing for platformers to not focus on story in a lot of cases, or atleast with mario anyway.

Some other platformers like the jak & daxter series have plots but those are direct sequels that flow in a line of events where mario is just some random adventure popping up forever and ever.

It'd probably be kinda time consuming if they had to make a new plot for every mario game.

Here's something that I found to be interesting while testing out the Brawl size modifiers further...

8mPtEk9.png

When I set Bowser's size to 2.5x, he almost completely rivals Giga Bowser's size. In fact, at 2.5x normal size, Bowser's voice clips have the exact same pitch level as Giga Bowser's voice clips.

So now that I've finished both Partners in Time and Bowser's inside story back to back I'm reminded at how lackluster the latter game's final boss is. It's just too weak and can't withstand a lot of punishment before it goes down.

Not exactly a random thought per se, but holy shit
An undiscovered 2nd 5-Banana Coin was found in the Fungi Forest level of Donkey Kong 64. This proves that even today, the number of collectibles in DK64 keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Every other level is known to just have one 5-Banana Coin, aside from Angry Aztec, which also has two. Makes you wonder...

Magikrazy said:
Not exactly a random thought per se, but holy *bleep*
An undiscovered 2nd 5-Banana Coin was found in the Fungi Forest level of Donkey Kong 64. This proves that even today, the number of collectibles in DK64 keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Every other level is known to just have one 5-Banana Coin, aside from Angry Aztec, which also has two. Makes you wonder...

Who knows, there could be more rainbow coins.

Better add that to the wiki.

MnSG said:
When I set Bowser's size to 2.5x, he almost completely rivals Giga Bowser's size. In fact, at 2.5x normal size, Bowser's voice clips have the exact same pitch level as Giga Bowser's voice clips.

Not much different compared to this.

Bowser_Giga_Bowser_Size_Comparison.png

The left image is Bowser under the effects of a Super Mushroom, and the right image is Giga Bowser under the effects of a Poison Mushroom. Interestingly, Bowser is heavier than Giga Bowser in both of these situations.

Grunty Industries said:
Better add that to the wiki.
Actually, I just combed through the comments and one of the developers made a comment. Apparently there are 2 5-Banana Coins in every level, confirming my suspicions.

Grunty Industries said:
Not much different compared to this.

Bowser_Giga_Bowser_Size_Comparison.png

The left image is Bowser under the effects of a Super Mushroom, and the right image is Giga Bowser under the effects of a Poison Mushroom. Interestingly, Bowser is heavier than Giga Bowser in both of these situations.

The funny thing is, after Melee, Giga Bowser received a huge weight buff. Not that it matters though, since he also gained immunity to knockback, and there aren't very many stages in Brawl that contain platforms that are affected by a fighter's weight; the amount gets even lower, if not non-existent, in Smash Wii U.

On a side note, a fighter that's set to 2.5x normal size apparently deals 1.9x more damage than normal, so a 2.5x sized Bowser will actually be more powerful than a 1x sized Giga Bowser in the damage department.

Also, watch out when using the size modifiers to make fighters super big, as it can take just one blocked attack for the fighter to get pushed back and collide with the blast line and self-destruct. Even Wario-Man isn't immune to this ordeal, and some fighters will even self-destruct immediately after grabbing a stage ledge, due to colliding with the blast line in the process. I did make a stage to try to counter this, but it doesn't work for every 12x sized or greater character, such as Giga Bowser, who can't even move a muscle, or else he's history.

Giga Bowser is programmed to have a weight stat of 400, but one of the only ways to notice it, at least in Brawl is to jump on the see-saw platform on Rainbow Ride.

Apparently I was off with the damage multiplier.

It seems that if a normal-sized fighter grows to 2.5x normal size by the Lightning, the damage multiplier becomes 1.9x. But if the fighter is set to 2.5x normal size for his/her default size (not being affected by the Mushrooms or Lightning), then the damage multiplier ends up being 2.2x.

Also, it seems the size multiplier for the Lightning does not affect the pitch level of the voice clips, as even without codes, a normal-sized Bowser will have the same pitch level for his voice clips as Giga Bowser if he ever grows by the effects of the Lightning.

Back