Your pet peeves.

Lumastar said:
Like Piranha Plant Pipeway?
That name is so much cooler sounding than "Piranha Plant Slide." What were they thinking?

Duskull said:
Collectibles hidden in really obnoxious places, like secret room in generic mountain that you need power-up to get to. Or most annoying hidden down a pit.

Like all Green Stars in Galaxy 2? Sure I can get behind that

I hate stupidly hidden secrets.

Lumastar said:
Mario Party Σ said:
Mewtwo said:
Realistic mario fanart.
That pisses me off to no end. :P No offense who likes that fanart, though, but I abhor the style.
It could work. It's just that it rarely (if ever) does.

Mario Party Σ said:
That Mario's courses are never anything that isn't a circuit or a typical racetrack. Give him a pink plush unicorn rainbow sweets land or a fiery hell inferno (or both), anything, even something through Mario's digestive track, just anything not a circuit or a raceway.
I'm in support of this, even though there will still likely be your average Mario Circuit.

If it ever works, how? I'd imagine it would be juxtaposed with the cartoon. Mario sees a picture of realistic art of him, and he starts gagging. Or it's Mario seeing himself as scantily dressed and objectified like how women frequently are in games.

I'm not advocating for the complete replacement of Mario Circuit, but even the regulars get something different: Luigi gets a mansion, Bowser gets a rainy city, and Peach gets a Sherbet Rink.

Unskippable cutscenes, though I don't think Mario's the only series with this problem.

Also, I wish Nintendo would give Kamek a redesign to make him look different from other Magikoopas.

Donatello said:
Also, I wish Nintendo would give Kamek a redesign to make him look different from other Magikoopas.

Same with Toad and Yoshi

I'd rather Toad the character just get completely replaced by one of the actual Toad characters. Maybe Captain Toad if they redesign him to have a different color and voice. Otherwise Toadsworth or Toadbert maybe.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
I'd rather Toad the character just get completely replaced by one of the actual Toad characters. Maybe Captain Toad if they redesign him to have a different color and voice. Otherwise Toadsworth or Toadbert maybe.

Toad is an actual Toad character

To be distinct from a species, you have to look at least slightly different and/or have a different name like Kamek.

Yoshi appears more often as a character than a species so I think they should scrap Green Yoshis as a species.

Toad is just.... some random Toad that they treat like he's more important than the rest. It makes no sense. And it has nothing to do with me hating Toad. I have the same problem with Koopa Troopa who I don't really hate as a character.

When I get a bad bounce from a shell.

In terms of Mario fan-art, I agree on the sentiment that those portraying Mario as a monster is really annoying, mainly because it doesn't necessarily feel like respect. I can understand it as a different point-of-view kind of perspective, but still, I really like Mario and putting him in an evil light seems disheartening.

Thanks for reading.

That nearly every modern Mario game takes the aesthetics and general art direction of the New Super Mario Bros. series. Mario games looked better before the NSMB takeover IMO. I am so sick of Mario being defined by bright green grass with slightly darker green stripes through it, grey mountains that appear to be twisted in a way, every damn game being full of tall spotted hills in the background, etc.

Say what you will about Super Paper Mario, but apart from having a few of those archetypes, it has some really great world themes. I'd love to see something like the Whoa Zone in a main Mario game. You can't deny that was one of the cooler-looking levels in the franchise.

3D World was a step in the right direction, but it was still largely set in a NSMB-inspired world. I miss the more varied art styles pre-NSMB. You know, when they weren't basing every single location ever off the art style of one mediocre game (series).

Didn't we keep saying that this "NSMB" look is actually the look of what Mario is supposed to look like?

I disagree strongly with that. NSMB has become redundant and bland, and I don't want my favorite series as a whole to be reduced to that.

Baby Luigi said:
Didn't we keep saying that this "NSMB" look is actually the look of what Mario is supposed to look like?

Yes, and that most of the NSMB designs didn't originate in NSMB.

NSMBDS for example re-used a lot of assets from SM64DS

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
I disagree strongly with that. NSMB has become redundant and bland, and I don't want my favorite series as a whole to be reduced to that.

...you didn't get what I mean?

I mean the "NSMB" is actually just Super Mario Bros 1-3 but in 3D in terms of graphics.

Most of the modern 3D artwork of the franchise was done by the various spin offs like the sports gamesand mario party during the gamecube days before NSMB was even a thing.

NSMB just took those and made a platformer with em.

I'm not really talking about the characters. Yeah NSMB DS used stuff from 64DS but also added its own stuff. I don't remember the edges of cliffs in SM64/DS looking like that. And also, it was not until NSMB Wii or even 2 that I started noticing the takeover of that style. It's most noticeable in the Paper Mario games, when you look at the first three, all with distinct styles, then Sticker star with its nearly identical textures to NSMB (aside from the paper effects that is)

Thats called updating character designs. It's not some kind of style taking over thats just what games do as they progress.

How fitting that the subject of "The Toad" has come up already, because that's easily my biggest pet peeve in the whole entire franchise.

"Toad" happens to be one of my favorites and I always saw him as an individual rather then a random member of the species, however the games really can't make up their mind one which one he is supposed to be, special mention goes to the whole 3D World debakel where he can appearently just turn blue for one game and never again and have this captain smug running around who is pretty much the exact same character who just becomes more and more like "The Toad" with every appearence he makes. You could have argued with me in the Galaxy days on whether or not he was a different character, but after the 3D World Blue Toad stupidity and Treasure Tracker I don't see any good reason to believe that the captain is not "The Toad", or at least what's left of the "The Toad" concept nowadays.

Even so there is still no good reason as to why "Toad" needed to have different spots from any other game he has ever appeared in (Mario 2 on NES is a different story, especially since re-releases fixed it), because they could have very easily used white as his distinct color rather then red.

Mcmadness said:
Took me years to figure out the slide had 2 stars.

late reply, but this

it was the last ever star i got in sm64ds, and by that i mean it took me 3 years from when i got the game in 2007 until i cared enough to google that along with the 6th star in the second course (forgot the name atm lol), the one where you need to destroy one specific part of the wall and theres literally no way of telling that that is what you have to.

iirc i actually looked it up on the wiki, before i made this account.

Back