Top 10 Mario RPG's

Re: Top 9 Mario RPG's

Fawful said:
the *bleep* is that
Wikipedia said:
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate.
>you making such bold assertions of how much you think you know about the RPG genre.
>you not realizing how little you know about the RPG genre.

Classic example.

Fawful said:
I've seen enough RPGs to know that if I don't like the story it doesn't appeal to me. It's the reason I stopped playing Pokemon ages ago after playing a little bit of Pearl.

How the hell did both of you quote that post before I changed it anyway? I changed it rather quick.

You should try Black and White. It has a pretty good story imo.

Well then I'm not an RPG fan, I'm a Mario RPG fan.

Is it so wrong to like one particular part of a genre but not the whole thing?

Also...

I never said I was a genius about RPGs.

All I said was. "I do not like Sticker Star because it does not have a story." The Mario Story bit was just a casual little jab at it that wasn't really intended to mean anything. When everyone started to pick it apart I tried to explain the reasoning behind what I said and maybe I shouldn't have done that, I just don't know anymore.

Fawful said:
Well then I'm not an RPG fan, I'm a Mario RPG fan.

Is it so wrong to like one particular part of a genre but not the whole thing?

Also...

I never said I was a genius about RPGs.

All I said was. "I do not like Sticker Star because it does not have a story." The Mario Story bit was just a casual little jab at it that wasn't really intended to mean anything. When everyone started to pick it apart I tried to explain the reasoning behind what I said and maybe I shouldn't have done that, I just don't know anymore.
There's no problem about liking only the Mario RPGs, but when you use it as a vantage point to generalize the RPG genre (e.g. RPGs MUST have good stories because Super Paper Mario was good and it had a good story and Sticker Star sucked and had hardly a story), people will pick it apart.

Saying SPM is better because it has a story is not "generalizing" the genre. If it's generalizing anything it would just be the Mario RPGs, not the entire genre. God damn, why do these arguments happen when I post my opinion? What is it about my opinions that makes everyone want to jump on me so much?? Just say you disagree, no need for all this.

Fawful said:
Look it's extremely hard for me to enjoy franchises I've never played. I can't really explain it. Maybe it's because of my autism, I don't know but I'd really hate to hide behind that.

And anything that tries to look like a live-action movie turns me off, big time. I really can't say why but I prefer weird-looking characters like Mario.
Guess that kinda limits you to 8 games then.

I hope for your sake the Paper Mario games' stories pick back up in quality.

Well no it's not, but it's rather limiting to keep your likeness to only a singular aspect of the franchise, especially a franchise that places story firmly last in priority of game development.

But the problem is that you keep asserting that RPGs automatically mean that they should have a complex, good story or that a game series should stay true to the title of the original game or something.

I said that Sticker Star does have a story. It doesn't matter whether it's a author's masterpiece or a children's work, the fact is, the title is called "Mario Story" and Sticker Star still technically has a beginning, climax, and end, which is basically the minimum requirement for a story which means Mario Story contains a story.

Fawful said:
Saying SPM is better because it has a story is not "generalizing" the genre. If it's generalizing anything it would just be the Mario RPGs, not the entire genre. God dang, why do these arguments happen when I post my opinion? What is it about my opinions that makes everyone want to jump on me so much?? Just say you disagree, no need for all this.
I didn't say "Super Paper Mario is better because it had a story", I said that you concluded that RPG games need a good story (moreso, the good ones, because you hated Sticker Star) because you enjoyed RPG games with a good story.

These arguments happen because people criticize the reasoning behind your opinions.

well now you get it, dont declare you're an rpg fan when you only play mario rpgs.

Now that you have used some actual indication of your actual fandom and not some mass generalization of the entire rpg genre, we wont really have a problem.

Saying SPM is better because it has a story is not "generalizing" the genre. If it's generalizing anything it would just be the Mario RPGs, not the entire genre. God damn, why do these arguments happen when I post my opinion? What is it about my opinions that makes everyone want to jump on me so much?? Just say you disagree, no need for all this.

probably because you constantly make stupid posts, dont think about them before hand, and often declare, IN THE PAST, that you're an rpg fan and have declared that all rpgs must have a good story(although mario rpgs dont really have good stories in all honesty), of course people are going to lash out at you.

Plus you're really annoying in general and often repeat the same exact thing which makes people lash out at you, since you never listen to anyone and never learn and never have any intention of doing so whatsoever.

Hey Mario, where's that Bingo card post you made?

If not I'll always have Mario & Luigi and the Mario platformers (which don't need story as much, as much as I hate to admit it I did enjoy 3D World) and Mario Kart.

And fine. Sticker Star technically does have a story. I just dislike it. A lot. And again, it's not generalizing the whole genre. I was only going off my standards built upon the existing Mario RPGs.

...conflicts....ugh

I think it's buried in either Mario Party 10, the puzzle & dragons, or next Paper Mario game.

Well, good for you. I have Garry's Mod, Kirby platformers, the majority of the Mario series, Super Smash Bros., Warriors games, Bayonetta 2, those Persona games I'll try out one day, that Dark Cloud 2 game I'm going to try one day, that Blur game I'm going to try, and... well... anything that doesn't resemble Super Mario Galaxy 2 or New Super Mario Bros. 2. And that isn't even a relatively big list compared to other gamers's games.

I still think the rpgs need to lighten up a bit on the OCs

Mcmadness said:
I still think the rpgs need to lighten up a bit on the OCs
I think that's the exact opposite Fawfulthegreatsixtyfour is demanding, lol. Doesn't Sticker Star already accomplish that?

Yes and no. It uses less OCs but it doesn't use them well beyond a couple. The reason I'd want to see more recurring characters is so they can be expanded upon or to see them in a different light, like how the Mario Party series did it.

Mcmadness said:
Yes and no. It uses less OCs but it doesn't use them well beyond a couple. The reason I'd want to see more recurring characters is so they can be expanded upon or to see them in a different light, like how the Mario Party series did it.
You mean how Mario Party feels like the only series that uses King Bob-omb, Sniffits, Mr. I, Flutter, Ukiki, Whittles, or other enemies that really don't appear in the "mainstream" Mario games anymore despite their debut in one?

Yeah that sounds appropriate.

I mean I could easily see a chapter based around a bob-omb factory where you fight king bob-omb at the end

1. Bowser's Inside Story
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
2. Super Paper Mario
4. Dream Team
5. Paper Mario
5. Superstar Saga
7. Partner's in Time
8. Super Mario RPG
9. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Those that are tied are games that I cannot decide which is better.

In terms of how good I think they actually are:
1. The Thousand-Year Door
2. Paper Mario
3. Super Mario RPG
4. Superstar Saga
5. Super Paper Mario
6. Sticker Star

In terms of personal preference:
1. Super Mario RPG
2. The Thousand-Year Door
3. Paper Mario
4. Super Paper Mario
5. Sticker Star
6. Superstar Saga

^ I hated the battle system so much in M&L:SS that I rage quit early in the game, played Xenoblade Chronicles instead, and haven't touched the M&L series since.

In other news, this is my first post on these boards. Hi all!

Rew said:
In terms of how good I think they actually are:
1. The Thousand-Year Door
2. Paper Mario
3. Super Mario RPG
4. Superstar Saga
5. Super Paper Mario
6. Sticker Star

In terms of personal preference:
1. Super Mario RPG
2. The Thousand-Year Door
3. Paper Mario
4. Super Paper Mario
5. Sticker Star
6. Superstar Saga

^ I hated the battle system so much in M&L:SS that I rage quit early in the game, played Xenoblade Chronicles instead, and haven't touched the M&L series since.

In other news, this is my first post on these boards. Hi all!

Is this just the games you played? Also, you don't need to say you played the Xenoblade series instead.

Viper26 said:
Is this just the games you played? Also, you don't need to say you played the Xenoblade series instead.

The Xenoblade bit was purely anecdotal. :P (Superstar Saga and Xenoblade Chronicles will forever be inextricably linked in my mind because of my experience with them, even though they have virtually nothing in common in terms of tone, mechanics, etc.)

And yeah, I've only played those six. I've completed Super Mario RPG and all four Paper Mario games but only made it past the first major boss of M&L:SS. At some point I may return to it to beat it and afterward the rest of the M&L series, though--if I can find the motivation.

you should play BiS, its battle system is a lot more fluent than the one in SS

(and i personally think the game is a lot better, but really SS just didn't really get me that much probably because after i played almost all of the other games it didn't seem very original to me anymore)

Since Puzzle and Dragons Mario is out you may rank that as well

Iron Man said:
Since Puzzle and Dragons Mario is out you may rank that as well
That counts? Anyway, it hasn't come out in all countries yet.

Back