Top 10 Mario RPG's

Re: Top 9 Mario RPG's

I didn't say that, but if something is an RPG, PLUS it has story in the title, naturally one would expect it to be story-heavy.

But that's not really my point. My point is, if all the other RPGs have decent to great stories, why can't Sticker Star?

If a game is an RPG and has Final in the title, I expect it to be the last thing a company makes.

Fawful said:
But that's not really my point. My point is, if all the other RPGs have decent to great stories, why can't Sticker Star?
They wanted to focus less on the story, more on the small jokes and the sticker mechanic.

Fawful said:
I didn't say that, but if something is an RPG, PLUS it has story in the title, naturally one would expect it to be story-heavy.

The game doesn't have to live up to the title. To me, the word "story" is used merely as a device to recount events, hell that's what a story is.

It's not like the game is called "SUPER MARIO EPIC NOVEL OF PLOT' or anything. It's merely called "story", like y'know, Yoshi's Story.

Fawful said:

Because story wasn't at the top of the priority list when it comes to developing this game, especially for a Mario series game.

The Club Nintendo Poll implied that story was the least important thing in Super Paper Mario, and although I am not using it to draw conclusions on what fans really thought of the game, as it shows sampling bias and it isn't randomly selected, I'm pretty sure there's a small grain of truth to what the story means to the average person who plays Super Paper Mario.

I know what it meant to me that's for sure....

On topic of rpg = story, I could find quite a huge list of rpgs that have little to no plot.

An RPG doesn't have to have a good plot to be an RPG. Pokémon games are RPGs and their plots (except Black and White and to an extent X and Y) aren't the greatest.

Damn near non-existant for the most part.

Well to each their own. I was just saying that I don't see a point in playing RPGs other than for the story. Platformers do have better gameplay IMO. The Mario RPGs are my favorite because of their stories. Take that away and you have a game that doesn't have any way to stand out from the rest of the series other than being blander.

The Janitor said:
Mewtwo said:
An RPG doesn't have to have a good plot to be an RPG.

Then it's not a good RPG.

Somebody hasn't played dragon quest 3

>fawful guy trying to act like he knows about rpgs

ah this shit again?

dude is about as knowledgeable about rpgs as a rock is able to strangle a gold fish.

Fawful said:
Well to each their own. I was just saying that I don't see a point in playing RPGs other than for the story. Platformers do have better gameplay IMO. The Mario RPGs are my favorite because of their stories. Take that away and you have a game that doesn't have any way to stand out from the rest of the series other than being blander.
I think Mario RPGs can work without a story and will still be able to stand out.

Fawful said:
Look I said it was an OPINION.

Stop acting like I don't know *bleep*.
Because you don't.

Fawful said:
Look I said it was an OPINION.

Stop acting like I don't know *bleep*.

But you really don't know ---- about RPGs

Really.

It's like saying that you think pseudoscience is fine and dandy when it's really not yet it's still an opinion.

I've seen enough RPGs to know that if I don't like the story it doesn't appeal to me. It's the reason I stopped playing Pokemon ages ago after playing a little bit of Pearl.

How the hell did both of you quote that post before I changed it anyway? I changed it rather quick.

Fawful said:
...Can I not ever post my opinion without starting an argument?

usually i dont care but the fact that you act like you know about rpgs with the little meager rpg titles you've played is laughable and ill always counter it until you get your ass out of your lil comfort zone and try some good franchises like shin megami tensei, tales of, and shadow hearts.

Fawful said:
Just don't burn bridges you haven't walked across yet.

Your knowledge of RPGs starts and stops at the Paper Mario games, so saying RPGs are obligates to have a good story doesn't really merit anything.

I find it interesting you enjoy the Mario series the most when you usually play games for the story.

Ever play Skyrim? Or BioShock? Or Fallout: New Vegas? Those games have pretty good stories. I think you would like those.

Besides, I just felt like countering daft assertions such as, I don't know, the Japanese title of a game (Mario Story) being used as an argument on why a recent game is a disgrace to the series?

Look it's extremely hard for me to enjoy franchises I've never played. I can't really explain it. Maybe it's because of my autism, I don't know but I'd really hate to hide behind that.

And anything that tries to look like a live-action movie turns me off, big time. I really can't say why but I prefer weird-looking characters like Mario.

Fawful said:

Then stop acting like you're suffering from a spectacular case of the Dunning-Krudger effect.

Fawful said:
Look it's extremely hard for me to enjoy franchises I've never played. I can't really explain it. Maybe it's because of my autism, I don't know but I'd really hate to hide behind that.

And anything that tries to look like a live-action movie turns me off, big time. I really can't say why but I prefer weird-looking characters like Mario.
I like cartoons more than live-action too. I don't like hyper-realism or live-action anything. But getting turned off by something because it's live-action, anime, or realistic is just excuses at this point.

And for an alleged fan of the JRPG genre, your weird distaste of "anime-styled" characters means that you probably won't even bother playing 99% of JRPGs...

...most rpgs have no resemblance with live action movies.

Hell if anything, a lot of rpg franchises look more anime-ish and even cartoonish.

i think you just make excuses because your mind is so limited in games that you cant be assed to try anything else.

If you dont want to be critized about your rpg knowledge for the rest of time then leap out and try new things.

I didnt want to try the smt series before but i have no regrets now.

Back